Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 02:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,415 times

Advertisements

So I just finished my freshman year in college and towardsbthe end like the last 3 weeks or so, I matched with a guy on tinder (please don't judge me). We talked like 3 days then realized we were in the same campus so we met up. At first I only wanted to be friends since I just got out of a relationship with a guy (which sucked so much) like two weeks before and wasn't ready to jump straight into this one.

But then one day when we were texting the told me liked me so I kinda friend-zoned him but then decided to give him a chance and here we are today like two weeks later in a long distance relationship because he lived by the college and I live thousands of miles away. I haven't told my parents yet and my friends have yet to knkwbhis age.

He's 24 and I'm 19... thiughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 02:52 AM

676 posts, read 726,321 times
That's only 5 years, no biggie. Plus your both adults so you can do what ever you want.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:22 AM

61,738 posts, read 87,172,581 times
The age is probably not a problem, but the distance.... what is your plan with this long distance relationship? To have a virtual BF?

Old 05-14-2017, 06:10 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,637,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tying3nds View Post
So I just finished my freshman year in college and towardsbthe end like the last 3 weeks or so, I matched with a guy on tinder (please don't judge me). We talked like 3 days then realized we were in the same campus so we met up. At first I only wanted to be friends since I just got out of a relationship with a guy (which sucked so much) like two weeks before and wasn't ready to jump straight into this one.

But then one day when we were texting the told me liked me so I kinda friend-zoned him but then decided to give him a chance and here we are today like two weeks later in a long distance relationship because he lived by the college and I live thousands of miles away. I haven't told my parents yet and my friends have yet to knkwbhis age.

I think you'd be better off with someone even older. More mature. The mid twenties of today has the mindset of a teenager.

When your talking potential babies, you want to make sure the dad is around and is able to provide.

Food for thought.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:40 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,459,619 times
Pointless. You know, it's nice when someone new likes you, especially if you just went through a miserable break up. But that's about it.

Now that he's boosted your self esteem, kindly let him know that the distance thing won't work, especially since you're just getting started in college. Trust me on this.

Enjoy your summer off. Get a job and earn some cash. Don't waste your emotional energy on this particular guy, even if he's the greatest thing since sliced cheese. You have more important things to do right now. There will be dozens of great guys to meet in the next three years.

It's too early in your career to distract yourself on someone who is technically unavailable.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:30 AM

165 posts, read 122,465 times
5 years isn't too much of a big deal, especially when you get older. I'm 30 and have gone on dates with girls who were in their late early (22-24) to mid 20s. The distance though could be tough. That is a decision you two need to make together. Personally, I never have liked long distance relationships but I know people who have done them. It takes a lot of work. The question is, are you going back to that college? If so, you two will be closer again in a couple months. Just something to think about.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:36 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tying3nds View Post

Let it go until you get back to school.

You aren't really in a relationship. You just met him 3 weeks ago, and then you friend-zoned him because you were unsure.

Live your life and see what happens when you are in the same city again.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:02 AM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Too big of an age difference.

Better to stick to your studies and also find someone closer in age.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:44 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,929,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I think you'd be better off with someone even older. More mature. The mid twenties of today has the mindset of a teenager.

When your talking potential babies, you want to make sure the dad is around and is able to provide.

Food for thought.
I was actually considering defending you in the other thread, if I hadn't read this first. As I also find that there's a faction of people here who get all uptight and self-righteous/holier than thou over men that prefer to date younger women, as if it's wrong or sick, or otherwise a crime in their eyes.

Then I see this post and it's almost like it's the same thing with you on the opposite side of that fence. It's almost like you're trying to "Rub it in people's faces" and "Show off" or whatever you said in the other thread, by making a post like this. How much older of a guy do you think this 19 year old should date? Not that I'd find anything wrong with it if she decided to date a 26 or even a 30 year old if that's what she wanted, but gimme a break here.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:52 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,193,983 times
as others point out, age difference is not the issue ... but distance and you being on a rebound are two big problems.

stay in touch if that works for you and follow your heart, but this isn't anywhere near the level of a "relationship" that you'd need to bring your parents into the picture.

urge you to enjoy your summer off and take things less seriously. find friendships where you may and take life at your own pace, you've got plenty of time ahead to make major life decisions and commitments for the future.

In the near term, you've got college to finish before taking on any other responsibilities. In doing so, you'll likely find these are growth years for you ... intellectually, socially, and personality ... both will be significantly different by the time you finish college. All part of growing up. Enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships