Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 01:39 PM

33 posts, read 30,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Fire, we all have quirks, and this is a quirk. You can't expect him to "get" this, without being extremely direct and consistent, because it's unusual.

I never say anyone's name when I'm in conversation with them, and in fact, I kind of find it weird when people do that to me. Like, did you think I wasn't already listening?

Also, it's a smarmy salesman technique and when someone uses my name several times, they're trying to sell me something.

Do other people abide by your desire to use your name conversationally? Like, when you make a new friend do you have to inform them that you like to hear your name?

If this is something you only really insist on from a boyfriend, then I'd wait until he's a boyfriend and say it. That you have this kind of unusual preference, and if he would please say your name a lot, you'd appreciate it.
Thanx for your answer. When I make friends if we start to see each other often they use my name . Maybe its my fault that I expect too much too soon but I just didn't wanted this to become a bigger issue. Now i'm so confused and don't know what to do. I know I'm not perfect but also can't hide what I feel.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Multiple people have stated that they find it odd to use another person's name when speaking with them. Count me in that group as well.

Others have said to assume that he's doing this intentionally to bother you.

So, OP, you can decide which makes more sense to you.
And, then, you'd do well to realize that which one you pic says more about you than about him, about which your choice says nothing.
There are all kinds of people. No judgment here. I just expressed how does this make me feel. I'm not saying that he has to use it all the time, but I just never hear it, like at all!

Old 08-24-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How does one date somebody without ever using their name? How does that even happen? And if this is so important to you, why would you keep going on dates with him?
So I am 1 week away from a month trip out of the country so I am just relaxed and also besides that he's really a great guy so that's why I keep seeing him. The thing here is that if he told me that I would try to fix it but he doesn't .

Old 08-24-2017, 01:44 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,045,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewithin View Post
I thought about that but the thing is when I walk in to the court and he see that i saw him and say " Hello" wouldn't it look rude?

I don't understand...can't you both say 'hi', or nod your heads at each other or something? What would be rude?

For all you know, when he calls "hey you" he could be calling out to anyone. Technically. If he wants YOUR attention, than he should use your name.

You've tried to tell him, now it's time to show him.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I don't understand...can't you both say 'hi', or nod your heads at each other or something? What would be rude?

For all you know, when he calls "hey you" he could be calling out to anyone. Technically. If he wants YOUR attention, than he should use your name.

You've tried to tell him, now it's time to show him.
You guys are right, I made it issue myself, but now I need a solution. Please help me

Old 08-24-2017, 01:51 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,022,848 times
Quote:
You guys are right, I made it issue myself, but now I need a solution. Please help me
See Post #5.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:53 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,927,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How does one date somebody without ever using their name? How does that even happen?
Obligatory Seinfeld

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LW0RikQ3mc

As others have mentioned, I rarely ever use someone's name talking to them. To do so, though, is a good way to flirt - "You look fantastic, Emily Ratajkowski"

Quote:
There are all kinds of people. No judgment here. I just expressed how does this make me feel. I'm not saying that he has to use it all the time, but I just never hear it, like at all!
It certainly seems like you are judging. And the advice of some posters is certainly to judge.

If you've told him once and he hasn't done it, I wouldn't worry about it.
If you've told him multiple times and he's NEVER done it, I'd worry about it.

If you told him and he said, "I'm not used to doing that, but i'll try, Firewithin", I wouldn't worry about it
If you told him and he said, "Ok, whatever", I'd worry about it.

Using someone's name in conversation, as you can see in this thread, isn't something that some people are accustomed to doing. So, don't take offense at him not doing it, or needing a little extra reminder.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:56 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,325,544 times
Understand OP. Been there. Acknowledgement is important. Not to use your name on occasion in a personal situation is diminishing. You spoke to him and he continues.

My only suggestion is to let this guy go. He isn't for you.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Understand OP. Been there. Acknowledgement is important. Not to use your name on occasion in a personal situation is diminishing. You spoke to him and he continues.

My only suggestion is to let this guy go. He isn't for you.
Thanx for understanding. Finally someone knows how I feel

Old 08-24-2017, 02:12 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,004,647 times
Quote:
I don't wanna dramatize, but my coworker and her husband never call each other by name, neither " babe" " sunshine" or any of the sort. I know when someone does something repeatedly it becomes a habit. I'm just trying to resolve this before becoming a real issue.
I want to have your issues and you can have mine.

I once moved into an apartment with a bf and while we sat there and signed the lease he asked me in front of the landlord what my last name is I almost fell off my chair.

We were together for a few months at that point and saw each other every day. That was before social media and all that stuff that may indicate your last name. I told him once when we barely met and never again - why would I? And apparently he forgot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships