Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 09:58 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,241 times

Advertisements

Not creepy at all. It was kind and respectful. Women who make a big deal about these compliments usually have a stick up their ass.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:02 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
I can discern between a genuine and respectful compliment and a dude acting real thirsty and entirely creepy. Tone, delivery, eye contact, and body language are good ways to gauge one's intent in these situations.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:07 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Not creepy at all. It was kind and respectful. Women who make a big deal about these compliments usually have a stick up their ass.
OR, they might have something in their background that makes them scared and defensive. Or they may be intensely introverted, I know a few of those, too. But the thing is, a.) You've got no way of knowing and you're not responsible for that and b.) Maybe even if they react badly in the moment, later it could sink in that no harm came of that interaction, and it could help them heal or process their stuff.

I'd say the bottom line is, if a woman reacts more or less positively, you've done a kindness. Feel good about it. If she reacts negatively or seems nervous, it's not you, it's her. Don't take it personally.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:21 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
I also very rarely give women compliments either. I see attractive women every single day and 9 times out of 10 I don't say a word to them. Why should I? They get attention all the time.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:25 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothick View Post
....Was I in the wrong? Or are there some cases such as hers where it's very obvious she had to spend a lot of time looking good where a guy can compliment her on it?
New rules - You sexually molested her. Lucky she didn't call a cop.

Keep your thumb on that tendency for sure.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:36 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothick View Post
Was curious regarding something that happened earlier. While I understand just going up to a woman and saying something generic like "You're hot" "You have a nice body" etc. can be viewed as offensive, what do you think about this?

Earlier I was getting some gas at one of my local gas stations, right as I was checking out there was a woman with her I assume girlfriend also checking out. But this woman looked amazing, the first thing I noticed was her hair and while I am not a hair stylist the way she had it done you could tell it took a lot of time and effort, and her makeup was done very good as well. She had a real nice dress on and heels and coul tell this woman took a lot of time getting ready. Anyway, we checked out about the same time, we were walking out the same and I decided I would compliment her, so I said "excuse me" and she turned around and I said "I hope this doesn't come off as to weird but I just wanted to say your hair and makeup look great". She smiled and kind of chuckled and said "Thank you". Her friend just standing there.

She then said "I try" and laughed. I told her just wanted to say something and left. Ladies, what do you think? Was I in the wrong? Or are there some cases such as hers where it's very obvious she had to spend a lot of time looking good where a guy can compliment her on it?
I think that is okay. I find that people in general (men and women) prefer to be complimented on what they have achieved as opposed to what they happen to have. Often times, they don't feel that what they have is all that good. For instance, whenever someone compliments my height, I'm not all that impressed with my height. I didn't achieve my height (and plus I am not that tall, I'm just taller than average. And I run into people who are at least as tall as me. I'm 6' but some days I feel more like I'm 5'9" or something).

However, let's say I put in a lot of effort to get myself in shape and I get a compliment on that, I feel better.

But I rambled and got a little bit off topic.

Anyway, what I was saying is that I think it is okay to compliment a woman you don't know, but different people are going to have different reactions.

I typically don't compliment strangers, I assume that everyone has a lot of stuff on their mind and probably can't be bothered with compliments

Last edited by TJenkins602; 09-01-2017 at 11:01 AM..

Old 09-01-2017, 10:39 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
It's really going to depend on the person on how well they take compliments and how they will view them.

"In general" yes, it's fine to compliment a woman. Just don't place any grand expectations on top of your comment

Old 09-01-2017, 10:41 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
I like the way you did your hair and makeup?

Well now . That's something a gay man would say to a woman stranger, ime.

I guess, its better than "youre hot...you must be on birth-control" Lol

Old 09-01-2017, 10:44 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I like the way you did your hair and makeup?

Well now . That's something a gay man would say to a woman stranger, ime.

I guess, its better than "youre hot...you must be on birth-control" Lol
I would say it's the "safest" thing to say if you want to throw a compliment out their and not be taken or written off immediately with someone you do not know.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:49 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
I can't imagine complementing someone on their make up. Like what? You apply that foundation and concealer really well? Make up is something not to be noticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships