Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 05:36 PM

25 posts, read 98,524 times

Advertisements

My bf and I have been together for 5 years, and I thought I knew him inside out... until I found out that he's been going on various online dating websites pretending to be single throughout the past 5 years.

He's always claimed to be too lazy to do the online community thing where he has to fill out profiles, but for these sites, not only did he fill out EVERYTHING, he even uploaded pictures of himself and messaged SINGLE GIRLS.

I confronted him, but he claimed that those are "nothing," that "they don't matter," and that he "didn't do anything." But to me, the fact that he registered and all is enough action for me; I feel like he cheated on me (at least emotionally and mentally), multiple times, all behind my back. He said he only went on those websites when we were broken up (that one time)/in a fight or when he just wanted to break up/be single/see what's out there (we are each other's firsts.) But I checked out the dates, and all those times he was on those sites, nothing was going wrong with us. So it's a blantant excuse.

I asked him if he wants to break up so he could be single again and date to his heart's content, but he said no, and started saying how "I want to marry you," etc. kind of BS. I'm just so utterly disgusted and repulsed by all this... and by him. How can someone you have been so close and intimate with for so long be capable of doing something like this?

I'm confused. Should I just get over it and forgive him? or should I leave him?

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

p.s. We're both just out of college and he KNOWS that I never intend to get married, ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 05:39 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,845,945 times
I think if you marry this moron your as dingy in the head as he is. He's obviously gonna take advantage of you. Curb that dog!

Old 03-12-2008, 05:50 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,375,580 times
Hmm... sounds like what my wasband did. Nice profile and all... not him, but none the less... at least he chose a preference as brunette... thats what I am....

Old 03-12-2008, 05:59 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,146,668 times
That is wrong...he lied to you by deceiving you & to everyone else he told that he was single. It is clear he had intentions to cheat...why else would he put a profile up? He was/is seeking out relationships with other women.
I don't understand why he would do this if he wants to maintain a relationship, but I've never understood the cheating mentality...
Maybe it's an ego boost, who knows, but it doesn't seem healthy to me.
Bottom line is, he's a liar & sneaking around behind your back. I know you just can't turn your feelings off, but don't let them blind you either.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:00 PM

25 posts, read 98,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
Hmm... sounds like what my wasband did. Nice profile and all... not him, but none the less... at least he chose a preference as brunette... thats what I am....
yea... he did the same. all his preferences fit me to a T. Is that why he's your "wasband" ??

Though he didn't actually do anything aside from those profiles and one-way messages, from what I can tell...

Old 03-12-2008, 06:06 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,375,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamisa View Post
yea... he did the same. all his preferences fit me to a T. Is that why he's your "wasband" ??

Though he didn't actually do anything aside from those profiles and one-way messages, from what I can tell...
No, he is my wasband for far worse reasons than that... far worse. no cheating that I am aware of, though....

Old 03-12-2008, 06:13 PM

202 posts, read 535,067 times
Quote:
I asked him if he wants to break up so he could be single again and date to his heart's content, but he said no, and started saying how "I want to marry you," etc. kind of BS.
Quote:
p.s. We're both just out of college and he KNOWS that I never intend to get married, ever.
This is particularly telling.

IMHO, you don't pretend to be single unless you are unhappy with the prospects of your current relationship. So, no, I wouldn't just let it slide.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:21 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,906,516 times
Well lisa, speaking as someone who came across one of these "pretending to be single" guys online and having spent a great deal of time talking, bonding, sharing, and making plans together only to discover for him it was all a game, I can only say this: Lies are lies. Cheaters are cheaters.
I know I am better than that. Deserve better than that. I sure as hell know that his wife deserved better than that. Judging from what you are saying here, YOU deserve better than that too. Get rid of him.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:25 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,608,780 times
I have to side with all the others. It is not incumbant on him to act as if he is married and devoted to you for all eternity until the two of you decide that is the case, but as long as he is in a relationship with you he needs to keep that sacrosanct.

He can be sociable and I think it is even okay to for him to visit the dating sites as single as long as he is honest about it with you. You are not married yet so he is single. From what you have said it sounds like you two haven't even really talked about marriage, so why wouldn't he list himself as single?

The only "crime" here is not being honest about it with you. If he cannot be honest at this stage of your relationship about his curiosity, then he will never be honest with you when times get tough later on in life.

You should not care that he has visited dating sites unless he has actually made dates while you are together. You should be mad as hell that he tried to flimflam you about it when he got caught.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:29 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,448,201 times
He is a liar, pure and simple.

How many women is this that have come on here and told much the same story.

He sounds like a player, let him go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships