Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 03:20 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,410,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Nope.
I does not say that at all.

People's inability to understand basic logic and statistics is quite worrisome.
People's (more you rather) inability to clearly read in general is quite worrisome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 03:27 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,925,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
People's inability to clearly read in general is quite worrisome.
Agreed

So, what did you read that lead you to this conclusion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
That comment basically said that if this study was universal, then no one would ever get into relationships since we all start(ed) out being single.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:36 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,586,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
I'm lonely as hell and the only women that ever seem interested these are married or involved. so that would make me potential person C, but I choose to not go there knowingly BECAUSE IT IS WRONG!!

Being a decent human being is not just reserved for family, friends and your SO.
And basically it is a form of stealing. I would be stealing time that should go to her family.

Now the few times I did not know a woman was married are different, because there was no intent.
in fact some states still have laws on the books where the jilted party can sue the homewrecker for damages. though these days it's rare because most people don't know those laws exist.

In fact the original intent of the laws usually in the 16 and 1700's was to discourage wealthy men from stealing/sleeping with the wives of poor men. but many parts of the country still have said laws on the books and the rare cases those cases are filed(and rightly so) is usually by jilted wives who had no children with the husband in states that still have those laws but did away with alimony. I won't shed any tears for them because cheaters should not be able to get away with it scott free. they mess up the dating pool.
Wrong says who?
If the person A in the example is someone who will cheat, you may as well expedite the process.
If I was squeamish about being person C I'd still be a virgin.

You get your morals and legislative compass from the 1600s? Are you kidding me?
Something else that was legal and moral back then was slavery...
And people, especially women, "trade up" all the time, be it for money, status or other things. It has an evolutionary function, that we always strive for the best possible partner to mate with, whether that means leaving someone behind, or sneaking into someone who is "taken".

Animals that live in flocks or herds also do do both of these things. A flock will switch alpha male when a new one has the strength to dominate the old one, and discontent males will sneaky-**** females when the alpha is a way. You can google the term "kleptogamy" and read more about it.

When it comes to dating/mating etc, one of the things I learned quickly is that there is no moral aspect of it whatsoever. Women will treat me like dog**** if I'm too nice, and other men will step over me if I don't step on them.
Take what you can, steal it if you must.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:43 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,931,199 times
There's a lot of women that go for married men, but don't tell me that you don't know of quite a few of your guy friends, or maybe even you yourself, who have gone for married or taken women? Almost every guy I know, including me (when I was a teenager), has gotten hung up on a girl that had a boyfriend, at least one time in their lives.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
Almost every guy I know, including me (when I was a teenager), has gotten hung up on a girl that had a boyfriend, at least one time in their lives.
That's different than what is being discussed in this thread.

It's not being attracted to someone who happens to be attached. It's being attracted to someone because they are attached.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:06 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,359,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
Wrong says who?
If the person A in the example is someone who will cheat, you may as well expedite the process.
If I was squeamish about being person C I'd still be a virgin.

You get your morals and legislative compass from the 1600s? Are you kidding me?
Something else that was legal and moral back then was slavery...
And people, especially women, "trade up" all the time, be it for money, status or other things. It has an evolutionary function, that we always strive for the best possible partner to mate with, whether that means leaving someone behind, or sneaking into someone who is "taken".

Animals that live in flocks or herds also do do both of these things. A flock will switch alpha male when a new one has the strength to dominate the old one, and discontent males will sneaky-**** females when the alpha is a way. You can google the term "kleptogamy" and read more about it.

When it comes to dating/mating etc, one of the things I learned quickly is that there is no moral aspect of it whatsoever. Women will treat me like dog**** if I'm too nice, and other men will step over me if I don't step on them.
Take what you can, steal it if you must.
Just wow, Lol.

Yeah, never underestimate the lengths a desperate man will go to get laid.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:07 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,586,154 times
Quote:
That's different than what is being discussed in this thread.

It's not being attracted to someone who happens to be attached. It's being attracted to someone because they are attached.
How do you know any of the women on that website is attracted to anyone BECAUSE they are attached?
I mean sure being attached means higher social status which helps, but you should get my point.

For all we know these people are getting slandered in the descriptions by people who are simply jealous.
I could put my neighbor up there because he's a klepto in our dorm kitchen, and you'd think he's stealing peoples girlfriends because I wrote it?

Old 10-27-2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
How do you know any of the women on that website is attracted to anyone BECAUSE they are attached?
Have I made that claim?

I'm referring to the actual scientific study
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2817731/
Quote:
Abstract
Mate-choice copying occurs when animals rely on the mating choices of others to inform their own mating decisions. The proximate mechanisms underlying mate-choice copying remain unknown. To address this question, we tracked the gaze of men and women as they viewed a series of photographs in which a potential mate was pictured beside an opposite-sex partner; the participants then indicated their willingness to engage in a long-term relationship with each potential mate. We found that both men and women expressed more interest in engaging in a relationship with a potential mate if that mate was paired with an attractive partner. Men and women's attention to partners varied with partner attractiveness and this gaze attraction influenced their subsequent mate choices. These results highlight the prevalence of non-independent mate choice in humans and implicate social attention and reward circuitry in these decisions.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:04 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,120,496 times
Quote:
Have I made that claim?

I'm referring to the actual scientific study
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2817731/
It could be that some people jus don't trust their own choices, sort of how it's easier to find a job when you already have one. I have gotten job offers while at work back when I worked at CompUSA because they saw me in action, while they may not have hired me off the street because I didn't look like the typical type that would have vast knowledge of technology.

When meeting someone we know nothing about them, but someone already paired they get to see how that person interacts with an SO at least 2nd hand observation. Funny how their mind forgets to factor in the fact that if you do take that person away from their partner, they have won the heart of a cheater and it's only a matter of time before they get cheated on themselves.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:03 AM

272 posts, read 185,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I firmly believe this. Lots of people also are reluctant to date a person who hasn't been engaged or married by a certain age. They think "if nobody else wanted them, I don't want them either". It's a shallow thought process, but it is there.

I've had a few friends, people I've known here and there, who could never be attracted to someone who was single. Never. They could only fall for someone that was already "Taken".
Whenever I tell women I've never been married, it's like the floor dropped two inches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships