Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 08:20 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Eh....men are too cheap to OUTRIGHT pay (no matter how they try to define dating and marriage as prostitution). Why pay hundreds when they might get it for the price of a few drinks or even coffee?! Even WITH some of the strings they say they hate so much it just might be worth it...or at least the HOPE of it prevents many men from shelling out the benjamins for a monthly "splurge".

Why not do a poll of those in Nevada with access to such places? What percentage of men avail themselves to the services?
To cheap to pay? Men pay all the time for a chance and get nothing legal prostitution there is no problem you get what you want women should support because it will take men who are less serious out of the dating pool. The problem with Nevada is they are located in rural areas that require quite a drive also since its heavily regulated prices are high. With a national bill prices would fall much like with legalized weed in Colorado.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:29 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Why?

Because most men are just too damned stupid for their own good. And I say that as a guy.

Maybe not stupid. They just don't know how to communicate. They don't what to say, what to listen for, what social cues to pick up on, when to call, you name it. They don't know how to behave and too often allow their little heads to do their thinking for their big heads.

I mean, holy smokes, as someone who has been poking around on this board for a while, it's amazing how clueless so many guys really are. To wit:

1) They have some grand, elaborate theory on How Women Think, as if you put in the data on one end and the answers spit out the other, then are completely confused when a woman doesn't follow their convenient script.

2) They treat women like fertility goddesses, not living, breathing individuals.

3) They are about getting laid rather than getting to know someone. You find this all the time in those pathetic, "I took her out to dinner THREE TIMES, and then nothing...." It's not a transaction, guys.

4) For some weird reason, many guys think of decent manners as some kind of effete, archaic holdover from a bygone erea when, in truth, good manners are indispensable to establishing mutual trust. As in don't call at the last minute. Send flowers. Walk her to the door. Real men know how to treat women.

5) Do you guys actually look at yourselves in the mirror? Some of you guys, quite frankly, dress like slobs, could stand to lose about twenty pounds, and look as if you guys still have one foot in high school. Do yourself a huge favor and pick up a GQ or an Esquire or some other fashion rag and then hie thyself to the mall for some decent duds and a decent haircut. Throw out most of those concert t-shirts. And, if you are over fifteen, get rid of all those graphic Ts with the cute little sayings (A sure sign of arrested development if ever I've seen one). Because if you don't respect yourself enough to look better, how do you expect anyone else to notice you?

Need further validation? Next time you're in a restaurant, watch the women when someone new walks in the door. You will see the head-to-toe scan of whoever is new, done in about one-tenth of a second. In that one-tenth of a second, that new person has been classified into either the Interesting or Non-Interesting categories. And it's even worse when they are giving other women the once-over.

6) Become a more complete person. You hear the same whine all the time on here: Women like bad boys, not nice guys. No, women like men who love life rather than treating it like a dangerous endeavor. Read books, real books. Watch something besides ESPN or whatever dreck the TV is offering up. Try a new hobby. Take a class at the community college in something cool. Step outside your comfort zone. Talk to people you wouldn't ordinarily meet. Just anything besides treading the same well-worn path to work and back to your apartment.

7) Learn to have a conversation. It's not that hard. It boils down to this: Be more interested in talking about the other person than yourself but don't be obsequious either. Way too many guys think their first date should be a bragfest, where they recite their list of accomplishments as if they were on a job interview, while too many others allow themselves to sit there and be wowed by the other person.

8) Don't treat having a woman in your life as the end-all, be-all. If you think that way, it's desperation and women can smell that a mile away. Instead, enjoy the life you have. Savor every damned minute. Love your life, rather than treat it like a no-holds barred cage match between you and the rest of the world. When you become that kind of person, the right woman will be attracted by the person you have chosen to be.

Mind you, a lot of this advice could be flipped around to apply to women as well. But Ovid said it best a couple of millennia ago: To be loved, you must first be lovable.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:31 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Why?

Because most men are just too damned stupid for their own good. And I say that as a guy.

Maybe not stupid. They just don't know how to communicate. They don't what to say, what to listen for, what social cues to pick up on, when to call, you name it. They don't know how to behave and too often allow their little heads to do their thinking for their big heads.
Thats alot of work I would much rather turn it into a business transaction.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:33 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,856,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
The average height and weight of an American woman is 5'4" 166.2 lbs. go to mybodygallery.com and punch those numbers in and see if the women in that range line up with what you think the 'average' woman looks like. I'd wager they don't. And those women aren't outliers - they are the average.
Real life is different than online. I'm a pretty 'average' American Woman as far as this is concerned (I'm a couple inches taller and a few pounds heavier, but proportional to the example). I'm 40, I have a 'mom bod', and yet, I'm still attractive enough as far as I can tell. I'm married, my husband has no complaints (yeah, he has a 'dad bod'), etc. It's called being a normal, real person. That isn't to say that I, or most Americans (and honestly, other countries) couldn't be in better shape. Most of us could.

To put it another way, most "average people" get dates and have sex, more or less. Even these so called average people can and do have casual hookups, too.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:34 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,856,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I doubt men are much better. We're a heavy people these days.
Yet, people act like 5'4 and 165 lbs might as well be a contestant on The Biggest Loser. It's not. It's overweight, even clinically obese, but people act like they look like Honey Boo Boo's mom.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:02 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
again, guys aren't interested in 80% of the women online either

people look online because it opens a pool of people they dont have in their current loves, i.e. they get to be more picky

do you buy the same thing in a store if you had Amazon to shop from? I buy things I never even heard of on Amazon because it is an option.

yes online dating is like online shopping, you judge on product pictures and peer reviews
There's simply a greater pool to choose from, and depending on what you like and what's in the area, more options that fit your criteria. To use your store analogy, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods opens up more options for what I like when compared to, say, Wal-Mart or other local grocery stories. Whole Foods has a much wider selection of delicious dark chocolate, so I definitely prefer it. Most of what I can get at Wal-Mart is your basic, generic grocery items, but if I want something specific, I have to narrow my search to stores that carry those options.

It isn't so much that people like the convenience dating sites because they don't or can't meet people in-person. The age of the internet simply puts us closer to a wider pool of people regardless of the medium and purpose. For college students and young professionals and those with an active social life and/or large social group, they may have a decent pool of available people to interact with, but there are other demographics to consider that see their options dwindle with age/change of life stage and other factors.

And, really, dating sites aren't all that different, in terms of judging based on appearance, than clubs, parties and bars. No dude at a bar or restaurant would hit me up because he was intrigued by what I said or how I expressed myself. He'd approach based on one thing and one thing alone: he liked what he saw. Now, the folks who say in-person interactions are "better" tend to, or prefer to, rely on their charisma, charm, pickup lines, and/or outgoing personality to spark interest, which may not be as easy to do online. I get the impression that the average-looking men who relied on the latter don't care as much for online meeting/interactions because they're out of their element. Their big selling factor, if it isn't their dashing good looks, is their persona, which isn't easy for everyone to convey in written form.

But looking at it from a different angle, one that could be more advantageous for other types of personalities, online interactions open the door for the type of people, men and women, that may not be super outgoing and bubbly, that don't drink, visit clubs and bars or attend parties, that may be at a stage of life where most or everyone in their immediate social circle is married or attached. It gives those quiet and introverted people more options to connect to others. Previously, the go-to venues for singles were dominated by the personalities that thrive in these settings, and closed off to everyone else who doesn't participate or fit in. Dating sites offers accessibility to all sorts of people of varying demographics and personality types. That, and its conveniences, means it's heavily saturated and there's more "competition" due to sheer numbers, than the usual places singles congregated.

More options isn't a bad thing if you know yourself well enough to understand how to approach the process and how to "market" yourself to a specific audience (if you [general] have one). Just because there's a wider pool of people doesn't mean they're all viable options. Whole Foods may have a wider selection of what I want, but if I want 80% dark chocolate, I'm not paying much attention to milk chocolate.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:53 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Why?

I mean, holy smokes, as someone who has been poking around on this board for a while, it's amazing how clueless so many guys really are. To wit:

1) They have some grand, elaborate theory on How Women Think, as if you put in the data on one end and the answers spit out the other, then are completely confused when a woman doesn't follow their convenient script.

2) They treat women like fertility goddesses, not living, breathing individuals.

3) They are about getting laid rather than getting to know someone. You find this all the time in those pathetic, "I took her out to dinner THREE TIMES, and then nothing...." It's not a transaction, guys.

4) For some weird reason, many guys think of decent manners as some kind of effete, archaic holdover from a bygone erea when, in truth, good manners are indispensable to establishing mutual trust. As in don't call at the last minute. Send flowers. Walk her to the door. Real men know how to treat women.

5) Do you guys actually look at yourselves in the mirror? Some of you guys, quite frankly, dress like slobs, could stand to lose about twenty pounds, and look as if you guys still have one foot in high school. Do yourself a huge favor and pick up a GQ or an Esquire or some other fashion rag and then hie thyself to the mall for some decent duds and a decent haircut. Throw out most of those concert t-shirts. And, if you are over fifteen, get rid of all those graphic Ts with the cute little sayings (A sure sign of arrested development if ever I've seen one). Because if you don't respect yourself enough to look better, how do you expect anyone else to notice you?

Need further validation? Next time you're in a restaurant, watch the women when someone new walks in the door. You will see the head-to-toe scan of whoever is new, done in about one-tenth of a second. In that one-tenth of a second, that new person has been classified into either the Interesting or Non-Interesting categories. And it's even worse when they are giving other women the once-over.

6) Become a more complete person. You hear the same whine all the time on here: Women like bad boys, not nice guys. No, women like men who love life rather than treating it like a dangerous endeavor. Read books, real books. Watch something besides ESPN or whatever dreck the TV is offering up. Try a new hobby. Take a class at the community college in something cool. Step outside your comfort zone. Talk to people you wouldn't ordinarily meet. Just anything besides treading the same well-worn path to work and back to your apartment.

7) Learn to have a conversation. It's not that hard. It boils down to this: Be more interested in talking about the other person than yourself but don't be obsequious either. Way too many guys think their first date should be a bragfest, where they recite their list of accomplishments as if they were on a job interview, while too many others allow themselves to sit there and be wowed by the other person.

8) Don't treat having a woman in your life as the end-all, be-all. If you think that way, it's desperation and women can smell that a mile away. Instead, enjoy the life you have. Savor every damned minute. Love your life, rather than treat it like a no-holds barred cage match between you and the rest of the world. When you become that kind of person, the right woman will be attracted by the person you have chosen to be.

Mind you, a lot of this advice could be flipped around to apply to women as well. But Ovid said it best a couple of millennia ago: To be loved, you must first be lovable.
Cosigned

Old 01-04-2018, 10:23 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Having 80% of people below average has strong implications that I don’t believe are true.
I haven't commented on the truthfulness.
Only that John's understanding of math, and his attack of women, is out of place.

Quote:
I think a more accurate statement would be that women looking for online hookups aren’t interested in 80% of men.
Well, based on the link you posted, that's not true at all. Women message a much broader range of men than men message women.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:43 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
yes online dating is like online shopping, you judge on product pictures and peer reviews
Damn!! I knew something was missing from my profile!

Old 01-04-2018, 10:45 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Damn!! I knew something was missing from my profile!

Amazon is the new OLD!!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships