Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 01:44 PM

1,188 posts, read 959,564 times

Advertisements

Supposedly there is an equal number of single men and single women. And you would think that means that the market is inherently neutral, can't be a "seller's market" or "buyer's market". Guys seem to feel like it's always a seller's market though. I think I understand why.

Let's use the analogy of a job market and let's say there are 1,000 people looking for jobs and 1,000 job openings. Despite the fact that every job opening could, in theory, be filled, and no job applicants left unemployed, it's still an employer's market.

The job applicants are the ones really in need, so that they don't starve. The employer is in a much better position because in most circumstances they don't need to fill a particular job. It's rare that their business is in danger of shutting down if they don't fill a position. Usually job openings from an employer's perspective are like "We think our business would do better if we could find someone with this exact skill set for this exact price, but if we can't find that someone, we can still function alright." The job applicant has to settle for whatever he can get, but the employer is almost always able to be somewhat choosy.

That is how the dating market works and why an average guy has trouble finding a date while the average woman has dozens if not hundreds of dating options.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:48 PM

11,798 posts, read 12,040,540 times
No.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:50 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
Don't think so...

are YOU this "average guy"...?

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Supposedly there is an equal number of single men and single women. And you would think that means that the market is inherently neutral, can't be a "seller's market" or "buyer's market". Guys seem to feel like it's always a seller's market though. I think I understand why.

Let's use the analogy of a job market and let's say there are 1,000 people looking for jobs and 1,000 job openings. Despite the fact that every job opening could, in theory, be filled, and no job applicants left unemployed, it's still an employer's market.

The job applicants are the ones really in need, so that they don't starve. The employer is in a much better position because in most circumstances they don't need to fill a particular job. It's rare that their business is in danger of shutting down if they don't fill a position. Usually job openings from an employer's perspective are like "We think our business would do better if we could find someone with this exact skill set for this exact price, but if we can't find that someone, we can still function alright." The job applicant has to settle for whatever he can get, but the employer is almost always able to be somewhat choosy.

That is how the dating market works and why an average guy has trouble finding a date while the average woman has dozens if not hundreds of dating options.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:54 PM

336 posts, read 195,483 times
80/20 rule my friend. 80% of women want to be with 20% of best men. Not only that, they do not care if a top 20% man, is sleeping with several other women. In fact, it makes him even more attractive. There are statistical studies that show that 60%+ women get to pro-create during their lifetime, despite a smaller fertility window than men. Only 40% of men however, get to pass on their genes. Traditional marriage was supposed fix this issue, by pairing a single man with a single woman, allowing for things to balance themselves out naturally but only if the marriage was a lifelong proposition. Today that is no longer the case, as people dont get married as much and the marriages dont really last, statistically anyway. WOmen want only top men, and ignore the rest.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:56 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1981 View Post
WOmen want only top men, and ignore the rest.
Sooooooo true...and men are all dogs and will go after ANYTHING.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:57 PM

336 posts, read 195,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Sooooooo true...and men are all dogs and will go after ANYTHING.
some men will, but mostly only if they want to get laid. then they call me the next morning when they sobber up, whispering in the shower into their phones, begging me to come help them escape

Old 12-22-2017, 02:05 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,583,267 times
As far as appearance goes, I see a lot more average or below looking men with attractive women than the reverse. As far as income goes, there more and more women who earn more than their husbands.

Old 12-22-2017, 02:05 PM

888 posts, read 555,987 times
I don't think this is true. Where I live, men have it easier, because there are far more single women then men. Also, I don't know why men assume women only want " the top men" but my friends generally go for average guys. As long as they are nice, working, generally attractive, then they have a chance. The thing is, it's hard to find someone you mesh with, for both men and women.

And I am sorry it is just not true that women online have hundreds of men to choose from. My friend online dates, she is attractive, normal, works etc, but she doesn't get nearly that many messages. She does meet people for sure, but it's not like she has a million options.

Old 12-22-2017, 02:28 PM

23,174 posts, read 26,211,073 times
I suppose it's futile to point out again that for every romantic relationship a woman finds, there's a man that just 'found' one too.

Old 12-22-2017, 02:31 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,984,194 times
If say it’s harder for women as there a lot more scumbag guys out there than gals.

Much more crap to parse through from their perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships