Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 07:27 AM

192 posts, read 110,100 times

Advertisements

I can't stop wondering about this recently. I hurt my ex after our breakup(i told him that I never really loved him), and now it's time for me to pay back.

I didn't cheat or anything. At first, I just chose to leave and didn't want to tell him the truth(I thought it was too cruel to tell him that). Then he couldn't stop harassing me with messages and saying that he really wanted to come back. In the end, I couldn't help it and tell him what I really felt during the past (almost) 6 years---that I never loved him. He was my first and I didn't really understand what was LOVE., of course, he was furious and accused me of wasting his time etc.

Now I am in a similar position with another guy, or boy let's say, since he's younger. We are not really together, we just used to send loads of messages to each other every day and went out twice. Now he calls it quit out of a sudden and he never gives me a real reason(all I can do is guessing whether I said something bad and he misunderstood it). I don't want to spam him with my message so I stop as well.

However, I have been kept thinking about it : maybe it's karma. Yes this guy might have somebody else, maybe he suddenly realized that he doesn't like me at all (from what i have observed, I think he didn't have a real relationship before) but he just doesn't want to tell me the truth like I did to my ex. The only fortunate thing is we only know each other for 7 months.

I guess this kind of thinking is pretty silly for most of you. I just want to know....do you believe in the karmic relationship? Have you ever had any experience of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 07:33 AM

15,072 posts, read 10,113,138 times
nah. I don't believe in Karma in general nor relationship. Good people get shafted and Bad people get their way.

Dating is one of those things that a lot of chemistry is neither explainable nor concrete. It is what it is. Its a game that you loose many times hoping for that one win. The key is to keep playing.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:34 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostlincoln View Post
I can't stop wondering about this recently. I hurt my ex after our breakup(i told him that I never really loved him), and now it's time for me to pay back.

I didn't cheat or anything. At first, I just chose to leave and didn't want to tell him the truth(I thought it was too cruel to tell him that). Then he couldn't stop harassing me with messages and saying that he really wanted to come back. In the end, I couldn't help it and tell him what I really felt during the past (almost) 6 years---that I never loved him. He was my first and I didn't really understand what was LOVE., of course, he was furious and accused me of wasting his time etc.

Now I am in a similar position with another guy, or boy let's say, since he's younger. We are not really together, we just used to send loads of messages to each other every day and went out twice. Now he calls it quit out of a sudden and he never gives me a real reason(all I can do is guessing whether I said something bad and he misunderstood it). I don't want to spam him with my message so I stop as well.

However, I have been kept thinking about it : maybe it's karma. Yes this guy might have somebody else, maybe he suddenly realized that he doesn't like me at all (from what i have observed, I think he didn't have a real relationship before) but he just doesn't want to tell me the truth like I did to my ex. The only fortunate thing is we only know each other for 7 months.

I guess this kind of thinking is pretty silly for most of you. I just want to know....do you believe in the karmic relationship? Have you ever had any experience of it?
I don't believe that people today really understand the concept of karma as Buddhists intend it.

So if you're speaking in terms of some vengeful deity that's gonna make you pay for past actions, then no, I don't believe that.

Karma is supposed to be about mindfulness and making proper decisions along the way, not a "cause and effect" simplistic concept like Santa Claus (he's making a list and checking it twice).

If you constantly mistreat people, you will inevitably suffer, so people think that's "karma," but it's not. It's consequences. Karma is more complicated than that.

You're still learning, that's all. If you do someone wrong but learn from it and don't keep doing it, you're growing.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:43 AM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times
Help: friend's crush(a young French) has been talking with me secretly for months and now he's acting weird

Old 04-04-2018, 07:49 AM

192 posts, read 110,100 times

Yes, that's him. Now we just stop everything.

I will come back and reply others later.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:58 AM

651 posts, read 408,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I don't believe that people today really understand the concept of karma as Buddhists intend it.

So if you're speaking in terms of some vengeful deity that's gonna make you pay for past actions, then no, I don't believe that.

Karma is supposed to be about mindfulness and making proper decisions along the way, not a "cause and effect" simplistic concept like Santa Claus (he's making a list and checking it twice).

If you constantly mistreat people, you will inevitably suffer, so people think that's "karma," but it's not. It's consequences. Karma is more complicated than that.

You're still learning, that's all. If you do someone wrong but learn from it and don't keep doing it, you're growing.
Lol! This was good

Yeah no, I dont really believe in that in the popular sense. Every relationship is different and I have seen way too many good people suffer unjustly and endlessly.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:06 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,988,136 times
Quote:

I live in a way that if there is Karma, it will be good to me. I could not live with myself knowing I hurt others on my way to where I want to go.

But I am fully aware that usually bad people get what they don't deserve and good people get punished over and over. That's why I don't believe in God. If there would be a God he would not let that happen.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:10 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,956 times
I don't believe in karma. That word gets used to express the sentiment that what goes around comes around, or something like poetic justice. So no, there's no tendency toward justice, poetic or idiomatic or otherwise. I think it can seem that their is because it's so satisfying when it happens. Examples, like the arrogant driver darting around traffic on the shoulder of the road running into a piece of construction equipment, take up more space in our memories because of the emotions they elicit. Most of the time, though, that driver just gets where he's going sooner than the rest of us who behave appropriately.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:10 AM

15,072 posts, read 10,113,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I live in a way that if there is Karma, it will be good to me. I could not live with myself knowing I hurt others on my way to where I want to go.

But I am fully aware that usually bad people get what they don't deserve and good people get punished over and over. That's why I don't believe in God. If there would be a God he would not let that happen.

I'm very similar in thought. Its not a religious one but more of internalized want to at least give a best effort to do good to others. Unfortunately, that has left me vulnerable in years past.. but that's another discussion.

OP, honestly... I don't think you did anything wrong by not telling your exBF your true feelings (knowing it would hurt him). So I don't think you should move on thinking that you deserve any emotional pain when future relationships end. Naturally, relationships begin and end... sometimes it hurts the heart. It is what it is.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:31 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,050,936 times
Quote:

Karma does not exist. There are terrible people who sail through life without consequences. And there are good people who suffer.

There is no Scoreboard of Justice in the sky that keeps track of rights and wrongs in expectation of it all balancing out in the end. Instead, relying on karma as the reason why things happen is to avoid facing one's own agency in a given situation.

Mind you, there are people who get what's coming to them. Be unethical or unreliable in business and your personal life and you will be known as a person to avoid. But that's the result of bad decisions or a bad reputation, not some inexorable cosmic force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships