Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 01:39 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,811,973 times

Advertisements

I’m 35 but I feel like I am running out of time to have a successful relationship. Not too many people find true love after age 40, from what I hear. I am afraid to commit to anyone because everyone I committed to in the past mistreated me and I don’t trust myself to pick the right partner because of this. It takes a long time to see some people’s true colors as well. My self esteem is not that high at all so, at this point, in my life I will probably attract someone else with low self esteem which would be a recipe for disaster. I don’t want to wait forever to have another relationship because I’m not getting any younger, ya know? I have been single since 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 02:29 AM

534 posts, read 488,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I’m 35 but I feel like I am running out of time to have a successful relationship. Not too many people find true love after age 40, from what I hear. I am afraid to commit to anyone because everyone I committed to in the past mistreated me and I don’t trust myself to pick the right partner because of this. It takes a long time to see some people’s true colors as well. My self esteem is not that high at all so, at this point, in my life I will probably attract someone else with low self esteem which would be a recipe for disaster. I don’t want to wait forever to have another relationship because I’m not getting any younger, ya know? I have been single since 2011
I would start by focusing much more on what you actually want, rather than what is going wrong/gone wrong/will go wrong. Tell a different story!

"It's been a long time since I was in a relationship. Before this relationship vacation, I had some relationships that really challenged me, and those relationships helped me realize with much more clarity what I really want in a partner. I'm still working on myself, but personal evolution is a journey, not a destination, and it's a journey I'll make my whole life. I understand that other people are working on themselves, too, and I'm excited to think about a relationship where we are both growing and evolving. I'm really feeling ready for this relationship vacation to end soon, so I'm going to spend a lot of time focusing on the kind of person I want to be with, and also working on being the kind of person I want to be in that relationship."

Old 01-27-2018, 04:35 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
Work on your self-esteem first.

Do whatever it takes. Walk like you own everything.

Point in the mirror and with a click of the mouth wink and point like you all that.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:07 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Honestly re-evaluate your life and you character, and I am sure you would come to conclusion.
Make a list what you want, what you expect and what you can give. Agree to make changes in your life, if needed.
It usually helps to gain some self respect.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:56 PM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
At least you are honest and down to earth. I found that attractive.

I don't have any advice, but want to give you some encouragement.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:32 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Therapy.

You can find love after 40. There is someone out there for you.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:17 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
I adopted this saying as my motto and it helps me when I have to question taking a chance or not.

"No one gets out of life alive."

You have to realize that your days are numbered and what if is not a good question to be asking yourself. Go for yours.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:27 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
You only get one chance.. Take it or it won't happen again.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:45 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typical_guinea_pig View Post
I would start by focusing much more on what you actually want, rather than what is going wrong/gone wrong/will go wrong. Tell a different story!
What I want in a relationship is to just be left alone. But that's not what a relationship is about, and most women demand the opposite. So if the OP is anything similar to me, my suggestion to him is to rule out relationships entirely, and like life on his terms. Like I do.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:13 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,811,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
What I want in a relationship is to just be left alone. But that's not what a relationship is about, and most women demand the opposite. So if the OP is anything similar to me, my suggestion to him is to rule out relationships entirely, and like life on his terms. Like I do.
The thing I want is some balance. I don’t want a relationship where we spend ALL our time together. I do need some time to myself. I also don’t want to be controlled and that’s hard to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships