Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 07:37 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I hear you I just find it weird that some women expect men to be emotionless robots never effected or moved by anything.
Wow, that was quite a leap. You started by asking about men who don't show emotion, then you went all the way to men who don't even FEEL emotion. Do you understand the difference? Do you think that these "some women" (whoever they are) understand the difference? The fact that you are conflating the two is a bit...disturbing.

I can't imagine there are many women who want a psychopath as a partner, but you seem to believe otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 08:01 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Wow, that was quite a leap. You started by asking about men who don't show emotion, then you went all the way to men who don't even FEEL emotion. Do you understand the difference? Do you think that these "some women" (whoever they are) understand the difference? The fact that you are conflating the two is a bit...disturbing.

I can't imagine there are many women who want a psychopath as a partner, but you seem to believe otherwise.
Calm down I was using some hyperbole..but their are women who think crying over something or being very effectionate are a sign of weakness..

Old 02-11-2018, 08:12 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Calm down I was using some hyperbole..but their are women who think crying over something or being very effectionate are a sign of weakness..
Well, if you are prone to crying, don't date women like that.

I like generally well rounded individuals, and that also applies to having and being able to control (when appropriate) emotions.

I don't want some guy that overly angry or bitter and those types of emotions. I want one that can show love and caring.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-11-2018, 08:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
If you show emotion in a healthy, stable way, cool. Plenty of men show emotion by lashing out.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:15 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, I believe that you actually think in hyperbole. When you're not thinking in binary.

Ok, listen up. There is so much variability across the spectrum of how and when each individual man shows emotion and what each individual woman finds appropriate that there is simply no answer to this question.

(The words are "affect" and "affectionate")

Old 02-12-2018, 01:08 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,686 times
Overly emotional and passionate I prefer,the brooding musician,the wild poet etc I don't ever want the cold clinical type that might be an academic or accountant or something.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:17 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Been scouring forums and noticed some women say they prefer stoic men who show little emotion..they say Men who show some emotion and may have moments of weakness and cry or show too much effection to them is a sign of weakness and feminine and it turns them off.

How many of you truly get turned off when men show emotion and prefer stoic men?
Who cares what "some" women think? All you have to do is find the other women.

Also, OP, it depends on what emotion you're talking about. Many men express emotion freely, but it's limited to anger. Most women aren't comfortable with that. I don't know why so many men don't categorize anger as an emotion, believing, instead, that only women show emotion.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:22 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Who cares what "some" women think? All you have to do is find the other women.

Also, OP, it depends on what emotion you're talking about. Many men express emotion freely, but it's limited to anger. Most women aren't comfortable with that. I don't know why so many men don't categorize anger as an emotion, believing, instead, that only women show emotion.

I hear you, but how about in moments of grief or when men are upset or hurt by something/someone?

There is a silent expectation that we're supposed to internalize our emotions for the most part.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:38 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Personally, I think it's a matter of situationality.

If ANYONE displays emotion around those who have no investment in them, they seem out of control, dramatic, and it makes others uncomfortable, particularly in settings where it seems inappropriate.

This would go for a man who cannot control his anger in public, or a woman at work (I knew one, she drive me nuts) who seems to regularly have meltdowns with loud, dramatic crying at her desk. The trial by fire is in school, where if you show emotional weakness around the other kids who don't care about you or are hostile, you become a target of abuse. We are expected to "keep it together" UNLESS we're in a safe environment to be vulnerable. If I just met someone, have no investment in them, barely know them, and they are throwing strong emotional displays at me, then that will probably make me uncomfortable.

See, there is this thing called "emotional labor" and I know it's one of those feminist liberal language buzzwords that gets people's backs up, but hear me out. It's the task of being "there" for someone. Of hearing them in their sorrows and giving comfort, of sharing their triumphs and being proud...this is what we do for our close people, our dear friends, family, bonded partners. It should not be lightly demanded of a stranger.

So when I am connected and invested romantically in a man, then I love his emotionality. It should be part of the specialness of US that he CAN show me his feelings, be vulnerable with me. I definitely don't want stoicism in a romantic partner. But at the same time, he's got to be able to hear me, and give ME some emotional labor, to comfort me if I'm in distress, to share life's joys with me.

The problem, in relationships, is when one person demands all of the emotional support from the other and gives none back. I had that in my ex. Everything was about him, no one had valid feelings or experiences, but him. If I had a problem, he instantly had a bigger one. If I had a moment of joy, he could not be bothered to share it, and his attitude was always, "how can you expect me to care about your stuff, look at all of my stuff! Me, me, me, focus on ME!" People who do that, simply don't make good partners.

Frankly, if my current boyfriend had shared the depth of his pain, the despair he'd gone through in life, the loneliness he'd suffered, in a seriously emotional way, the very first night we met, I would have been put off by that. It was too soon, then. A few months in, hearing about it only made me wish I'd been there to make his life better, sooner. He cries at movies. I love him for it. It's endearing. Now it's endearing. In the early days, it would have just been awkward.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:38 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
I hear you, but how about in moments of grief or when men are upset or hurt by something/someone?

There is a silent expectation that we're supposed to internalize our emotions for the most part.
No, there is not such expectation. There are only leftover stereotypes from bygone eras. Crying in grief or distress is perfectly normal and healthy. Heck, my dad would cry whenever one of his beloved dogs died/had to be put down. There's no shame in that. Men cry after the breakup of a particularly long-term relationship or marriage, even the "tough" guys who think they have to hold it all in. This is normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships