Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 11:52 AM

34,240 posts, read 18,599,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
One doesn't need to be 100% in agreement with any particular candidate to support them. It depends on the issues and what is important at that time.

I am also from Texas and many of my friends and family are still there. I used to have a concealed weapon license. My father and I own many rifles, shotguns, and side arms. My mother in law is a staunch liberal (I have many disagreements with her) but she (as well as her partner) are also concealed weapon owners. Any particular candidate's views regarding LGBTQ is very important to her... it has a direct impact on her future. So she generally votes Democrat at this time.... sometimes Republican... depending on the spectrum of opinions they have regarding LGBTQ rights versus Gun ownership.

I now reside (have been for a long time) in NJ. While I don't like the gun control policies of this state, there are other things that it does offer that appeal to me. Just because I live in NJ doesn't mean that I am anti-gun-ownership.

The only people who say things like this are line voters who don't think for themselves.

For me the gun issue is a deal breaker, with politicians, and also with relationships. Today's Democrats want to take that right away. I won't tolerate that. They aren't your Father's Democrats.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:56 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1981 View Post
Wow, you can control whether or not you will be raped? I totally underestimated you. I think you should let the world know, so rape never happens again.
I never ever said I couldn't be raped, did I? I said I can't be raped and impregnate someone. I can control what it takes to actually impregnate someone. Do you know what has to happen for a guy to get someone pregnant? It sure doesn't seem like it.

It's impossible to have reasonable discussions with people that purposefully misrepresent your statements.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:05 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,280,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
You also have to consider that the way some people frame their political stances nowadays doesn't really leave a lot of room for peaceful coexistence nevermind a romantic relationship. (A couple of good examples in the posts just above mine, in fact.) People do vary in what they will put up with though. And remember that women are not a mono-idealistic voting block. You can find plenty who share your views as long as they are not too radical.
I think the challenge for the OP - and I'm assuming he's about my age due to his comment about doing his running around in the '80s and '90s - is that women who share his current political ideology by and large tend to be those who get married young and stay married.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:25 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,009,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Did he say his views were based on hate or did he just have views that from your perspective you would only hold for hateful reasons?
I don't want to take this down a political rabbit hole, but I understand what you're asking.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:59 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,050,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
(Short answer: I was drunk alot or blindsided by their looks, skirts, bikinis, workout outfits, yada yada)

Long answer:

I'm like mega-conservative now when politics is involved aka Patriotic conservative Christian.

Yet before I realized it mattered (when I was just back in da day) as I just was partying & drinking, & so then it was just -- if ur a hottie, I'm game to dance w/ u -- who cares WHO or even WHAT the govt is, right on ?

Now, the older folks here today know our world from 80-90s---did we really care when just going to clubs, working out, boozin it up, etc.)? Heck no!!!

So no wonder I clash w/ these oldtime girls that I talk to again recently -- now that time has evolved, as now their stance matters as how can u remain hot enough looks-wise to override ur politcal stance? U can't.

I am looking at this re-dating thing from a political ideology perspective -- & let's face it; it DOES influence relationships. I care not how you dress, cigs u smoke (well I don't want a smoker, period, haha) the booze u drink, car u drive, reptiles u got as pets, etc.

But surely the stance on this country & where it is going, has got to be in concert w/ one another when dating or marrying, no?

Ok, please keep this here -- not the Politics Forums as it bodes well that others may feel this way, & maybe have their own rifts w/ their SO's re this type of stance.
Politics is a terrible way to define yourself and others. It is a shallow and self-deceptive label. In truth, you are not using politics as a philosophical guide when it comes to government. Instead, you are using it to divide the world into camps of Right and Wrong.

This is particularly foolish because, in truth, both political camps embrace some good ideas and some truly terrible ones. As a result the people who obsess about political camps are self-important and self-righteous folks who are so desperate to be talk that they feel no inclination to listen. That's why our political dialog today closely resembles two camps of parrots just repeating whatever bullet points have been handed them by their ideological masters. Scratch someone who wants to talk about politics or discounts someone else because of their politics, and you find a narcissist underneath.

Look at what you just wrote. You basically took a flesh-and-bone person with wants, desires, personality tics, passions, and everything else, and reduced that person to the bubble she fills in on a ballot come Election Day.

All people have value in the world, and most points of view are valid, too. So sorry that, in your smug self-righteousness, you don't get that.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:01 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,659,591 times
Well, it's nice to know this didn't devolve into a political thread OP probably knew as much and is pretty pleased with himself.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:14 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Well after roaming the planet for 1/2 a century... you were bound to run into some.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:19 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I suspect "politics" per se just didn't matter to you as much as tail at that age.
This.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:20 PM

336 posts, read 195,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I never ever said I couldn't be raped, did I? I said I can't be raped and impregnate someone. I can control what it takes to actually impregnate someone. Do you know what has to happen for a guy to get someone pregnant? It sure doesn't seem like it.

It's impossible to have reasonable discussions with people that purposefully misrepresent your statements.
Do you honestly believe, that its impossible for a woman to rape a man via forced envelopment, resulting in a pregnancy? Do you really believe the things you type?

Old 02-14-2018, 01:21 PM

880 posts, read 1,252,495 times
Because back then you didn't care. You were young and felt that the world owed you something. Your pay was low, so were the income taxes. It just something that happens when you combine aging with any degree of success that you had to work for.

FYI, my wife was as liberal as they come, graduating form a liberal school (but thankfully with a real degree). 18 years, 2 kids and and a mortgage later, she's a 200 proof conservative, stopping just short of loving Trump. Hates him as a person, but agrees with his policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships