Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 11:56 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiemur View Post
I did bring it up once, and he didn't really understand...he thought it was relevant to the conversation. The dog would not pee outside, but would pee inside on his $8k Persian Rug...for example
In context, no biggie. ^^^

Is he really a braggart, OP, or are you making a big deal out of snippets you've cut from conversations???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 12:01 PM

332 posts, read 287,000 times
Well, I enjoy the lifestyle that he enjoys, and am sharing now. Trips, concerts, money isn't an issue....as I write this it seems obvious I'm hanging in there because we have fun together, in part, due to his 'means'.

His last girlfriend lasted 3 years (probably for the same reasons)...he ended it because she didn't want to grown their relationship, she wanted a 'friends with benefits' situation and he's really into both people being vulnerable and growing in Emotional Intimacy.

I'm sorry for going on and on, but we've got several concerts lined up, and future trips in the works...talk of moving in together. I like the idea of spending more than just one weekend night together, and he really wants that. Currently this schedule is easiest....

Old 03-16-2018, 12:07 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Well, I enjoy the lifestyle that he enjoys, and am sharing now. Trips, concerts, money isn't an issue....as I write this it seems obvious I'm hanging in there because we have fun together, in part, due to his 'means'. ...

Well, at least you're finally being honest with yourself.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:11 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
This is her 3rd thread about him and stuff she doesn't like.
I don't recall her other threads, but the bragging would be a turn-off, to me. Not only that, but specifically mentioning how much he paid for his carpet? Extremely tacky. This REEKS of "nouveau riche", or some underlying insecurity.

Probably, if I read your other threads, OP, I'd advise moving on, to try to find a better match. It's hard to make a recommendation based on just this one characteristic, though, since you say you get along with him great, otherwise, you share many common interests, and so forth.

But I wouldn't move in with him, until you feel more comfortable, and feel that you two share the same values. Bragging about material possessions speaks to the fact that you have different underlying core values, btw.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I did bring it up once, and he didn't really understand...he thought it was relevant to the conversation. The dog would not pee outside, but would pee inside on his $8k Persian Rug...for example
Was that said in conversation with you, or with someone else? Why would he be talking about his dog's peeing habits with anyone but you? This is weird, OP. But one remark like that, if shared between the two of you, isn't out of line by itself. But if that "embarrassed" you, I can only guess there was a 3rd party involved? Otherwise, what would there be, to be embarrassed about? More info needed.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:17 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Sorry, but if that example is the way most of it occurs, I would consider it a totally understandable addition to the conversation.
Yeah, I would be telling that story in a self-deprecating way and laughing my ass off. I dunno.

I come from a family of bargain hunters - we're always discussing how much things cost and whether we got a good deal - some primitive thrill of the hunt type of reaction. I'm not at all materialistic but I will discuss how much things cost. With the current housing market in my city, I will get excited about how little I paid for my house sometimes when we're discussing housing prices. I paid very little and now it's worth twice that, and I feel so lucky to have it - if I hadn't bought when I did, I would not be able to afford a house in this area.

I don't think I'd ever brag about how much I paid for something if I paid a lot for it, though I might express dissatisfaction with having paid too much.

I'd need more examples. I think I'd have a problem with what you're talking about if the guy was just dropping comments about how much he shelled out a propo of nothing. And my feelings would also relate to who he was making these statements to.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:20 PM

332 posts, read 287,000 times
He doesn't really brag, kind of a name dropping thing. He always describes people in terms of what their job is. He does like to talk, and it usually winds back to him.

He has many different types of friends. Those I've met, seem to really like him and accept him for who he is. He treats his friends well, visits them when their sick, volunteers...

Old 03-16-2018, 12:21 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
This is her 3rd thread about him and stuff she doesn't like.
Seems to me that it's all about the money.

Money isn't happiness.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Well, I enjoy the lifestyle that he enjoys, and am sharing now. Trips, concerts, money isn't an issue....as I write this it seems obvious I'm hanging in there because we have fun together, in part, due to his 'means'.
So, would you enjoy anyone of means' company, if they spent their money on experiences you're interested in? Anyone who treated you well? Why not look for a better fit, then? And btw, one need not be of outstandingly good means, in order to enjoy life, enjoy concerts, and so forth. International travel, well, ok, you've got me there. But there's so much more to life than that. Life can be very rich and rewarding, without spending a lot of money.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
He doesn't really brag, kind of a name dropping thing. He always describes people in terms of what their job is. He does like to talk, and it usually winds back to him.
That would be a red flag, for me, but maybe that's just me... Imagine living with a guy 24/7 who talks about himself, or finds ways to manipulate conversations with others, so it always comes back to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiemur;
He has many different types of friends. Those I've met, seem to really like him and accept him for who he is. He treats his friends well, visits them when their sick, volunteers...
This, OTOH, sounds pretty good. I can see why you feel a little conflicted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships