Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 10:33 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
It depends upon the way in which the "no" is delivered.
I've been rejected rudely but not one time did I think about assaulting a woman cause she didn't want to go out with me.

All I could think was bullet dodged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 12:10 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And they say WOMEN are the emotional ones!
HAH! What a laugh!

But what is the entitlement based on? Do they really believe they're entitled to have anything they want? Or do they somehow feel entitled to women's bodies? Or female company? And if so, why? What exactly is the thinking process? It sounds completely irrational.

From what very little I've read...certainly I'm no expert:

Sense of entitlement (misplaced) is an unrealistic expectation of favorable treatment or automatic compliance with one's wishes. Reflects an inflated view of one's importance...narcism. Rejection for some is a deep sense of shame...

Certain individuals with mental health issues, bipolar, personality disorders etc., have a limited ability to tolerate frustration...and rage and anger and violence is evident in some of these people.

Their profound sense of shame comes from being rejected... whether knowing the person or not, I assume...

then the response could be inappropriate anger, rage, then violence.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:18 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
I've heard stories of men who simply wouldn't take a polite no for an answer when asking a women out. In fact, I've heard tales of women that have been followed home, stalked, insulted, and even assaulted just because she was not feeling a certain dude or he simply refused to take a hint. I have one female friend who turned down a guy, and started to receive threatening texts and emails on an almost daily basis. Have any of you ever experienced this?
Some people are not capable of taking no for an answer.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
That, and much more, I would guess. There seems to be not only a sense of the polite decline as an unacceptable personal affront, there seems to be an element of a control trip involved, as well. A "how dare she turn me down! I'm not going to let her get away with this" mentality. IDK, I'm just trying to get my mind around it. Anyone else have any insight?
I don't think there is any sense to this. I think this is one of these issues that have many roots. In some cases, the person that such a person wants ceases being a human being to that person and becomes some kind of object.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:26 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Ah.. thanks for clarifying.

A firm No (without being rude) seems work for most guys... at least it does with those that I know. The ones that constantly keep coming back won't make a difference... its a problem with the quality of men in a dating pool.

My bartender friend works in a lower class bar that tends to bring in lower quality men. So its no surprise that she deals with guys that don't take no for an answer. Fortunately, it doesn't go much beyond trying to ask her out all the time. We get a flow of professionals too... they usually don't give her trouble.
Low class =/= low quality or propensity to not accept no. People of all social classes/incomes struggle with accepting the "no." They may just have different ways of phrasing it. Not accepting a no is definitely a marker of quality though.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:38 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Low class =/= low quality or propensity to not accept no. People of all social classes/incomes struggle with accepting the "no." They may just have different ways of phrasing it. Not accepting a no is definitely a marker of quality though.
Are you thinking of the Weinstein audio tape? I sure am.

Plenty of upper "class" fellas who reek of entitlement, so used to getting everything their money can buy, they don't want to take no for an answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM8 View Post
Some men are persistent, because it is and always has been effective. Just think honestly about it. Dont turn this into a man bashing exercise, as you so often tend to do
They think it's been effective. Until the day they lose their job because they've been accused of sexual misconduct, because they were "persistent" and it was "effective."

Hey, hey, look, another new poster. It's like it's Spring Break or something. Huh.

It has been part of the conditioning through media during my life, for men to BELIEVE that a successful man doesn't take no for an answer. Part of what (though I loathe the buzzwords) constitutes "toxic masculinity" is this idea promoted by countless movies and shows and stories, that the hero will get turned down, but he keeps trying, even if the woman hates his guts, and ultimately wins against her will. Indiana Jones, and man, I used to LOVE those movies, when I think about how his relationship evolved with his love interest, it's really pretty gross.

In the real world, women don't just pretend to hate you, when we really want to have you. Like, not past about middle school, anyhow.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
And they say WOMEN are the emotional ones!
HAH! What a laugh!

But what is the entitlement based on? Do they really believe they're entitled to have anything they want? Or do they somehow feel entitled to women's bodies? Or female company? And if so, why? What exactly is the thinking process? It sounds completely irrational.
That stopped being true a long time ago if it even was true.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
It depends upon the way in which the "no" is delivered.
No. It doesn't.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:44 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Are you thinking of the Weinstein audio tape? I sure am.

Plenty of upper "class" fellas who reek of entitlement, so used to getting everything their money can buy, they don't want to take no for an answer.
Yup that is one of many examples. Or all of the women I know who have been sexually harassed by their bosses while at work...or other senior colleagues.

We need to stop assuming education/social class/income correlate with morals...

Old 03-21-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Heh. I think it’s a common occurrence growing up in NYC to get followed or at least cursed at after turning someone down while walking around. Once you hit your teens, it’s a wrap. Not every time of course, but enough that it no longer seems unusual.

When I was in college there was a rash of women getting punched or shot in nightclubs for turning men down. I remember being very nervous in clubs at that time.
Oh, I just threw up in my mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships