Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 800 times

Advertisements

I recently asked out a girl from my university. The date went well for the most part. We had good chemistry, with teasing and a bit of physical contact. I messed up though, when I started drinking, and I acted sillier than a man trying to attract a woman should (even though she got a good laugh out of it, I don't think my actions were doing much to raise her attraction level). A couple days after the date, I'm sure I came off as needy when I told her that I really liked her and would like to see her again. That's when she told me she just wanted to be friends.

I've learned a lot from this experience and I am currently dating other women. I do still have feelings for this girl though, which leads me to my question: when is the appropriate time frame to ask this girl out again? And what would be the best way about it? I won't do it anytime soon because if she does have a change of heart, it will take time and it won't happen unless there is something different about me the second time around.

We run into each other at the same student club often, and I think she is giving me the cold shoulder on purpose (whereas before the date, she used to hug me and acknowledge me every time we saw each other). I should note that I've kept my contact with her minimal to respect her boundaries, and to help me move on.

I know that some people will tell me it just wasn't meant to be, and maybe that's true. In hindsight, I think it was more so that I just lacked the experience and maturity to understand how attraction works for women and I didn't court her properly.

Thanks for hearing me out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 05:44 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themancamino View Post
I recently asked out a girl from my university. The date went well for the most part. We had good chemistry, with teasing and a bit of physical contact. I messed up though, when I started drinking, and I acted sillier than a man trying to attract a woman should (even though she got a good laugh out of it, I don't think my actions were doing much to raise her attraction level). A couple days after the date, I'm sure I came off as needy when I told her that I really liked her and would like to see her again. That's when she told me she just wanted to be friends.

I've learned a lot from this experience and I am currently dating other women. I do still have feelings for this girl though, which leads me to my question: when is the appropriate time frame to ask this girl out again? And what would be the best way about it? I won't do it anytime soon because if she does have a change of heart, it will take time and it won't happen unless there is something different about me the second time around.

We run into each other at the same student club often, and I think she is giving me the cold shoulder on purpose (whereas before the date, she used to hug me and acknowledge me every time we saw each other). I should note that I've kept my contact with her minimal to respect her boundaries, and to help me move on.

I know that some people will tell me it just wasn't meant to be, and maybe that's true. In hindsight, I think it was more so that I just lacked the experience and maturity to understand how attraction works for women and I didn't court her properly.

The most important rule for "courting" is to respect the feelings and expressed wishes of your object of desire.

She has already told you her thoughts on a second date, which I bolded above. Please don't subject yourself or her to another attempt.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:56 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
She already said she just wants to be friends.

That is a polite "no". Get the message?

Old 03-25-2018, 06:09 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post

Unfortunately, people like the OP are quite common in this forum, and almost every other day yet another individual asks for 'advice' about pursuing a person that just doesn't want to be in a relationship with them.

I have my doubts about these threads and posters lately, but I'll humor them.

Anyways, guys out there, will you PLEASE have some self respect and get the hint when a lady does NOT want to be with you?

This is not rocket science guys.

If a lady tells you she wants to just be friends after the FIRST date, if a lady is non commital and refuses to set a definite date for a future date or contact time, if your gut instinct tells you something is not right or that you think she may not like you, then pretty please let it go. Move on. Find another person that can truly return your feelings. Being persistent isn't going to make her like you any more, it's going to want to make her call the cops.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:03 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,626 posts, read 17,961,729 times
I think if you told her you were sorry you got so silly and drank too much, and that's not your usual personality (if it isn't), you should go for asking her out again.

Maybe even as "friends". If you're going to do something with a group, invite her along as a friend, and have one drink or fewer. And see where it goes.

There are MANY, many long term marriages that started off a bit rocky but one partner continued to pursue the other. Successfully.

If she declines your invitation to go out with a group, after you apologized for how you behaved before, it is truly time to move on.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:21 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,865,153 times
Quote:
We had good chemistry, with teasing and a bit of physical contact. I think she is giving me the cold shoulder on purpose. (whereas before the date, she used to hug me and acknowledge me every time we saw each other). I should note that I've kept my contact with her minimal to respect her boundaries, and to help me move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Anyways, guys out there, will you PLEASE have some self respect and get the hint when a lady does NOT want to be with you?
...Being persistent isn't going to make her like you any more, it's going to want to make her call the cops.

Agreed! New Guy talking about teasing. Girl acting like she doesn't like it. Women have already responded that PUA stuff is not a good idea, it's dumb.

Move on OP, you acrted like a db, live and learn, she's not interested.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:43 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,975,888 times
Quote:

Never you blew your chance .... grow up and move on. Respect her wishes!

Old 03-26-2018, 06:12 AM

92 posts, read 54,230 times
If you feel the need to say anything, simply say you're sorry for acting like a jerk on your date, and leave it at that. At the very least, it could make things a little less awkward when you see each other at your student group meetups.

One of the best favors a person can do for him/herself is to stop chasing someone who doesn't want to be chased. It just wastes your own precious time and energy that could be spent with someone who will return the feelings.

Avoid alcohol on the first date (and maybe the second or third) as you clearly can't handle yourself when you drink. Do you have a drinking problem? Is this a recurring story line, where you have a few and offend someone in your social circle? Just wondering. If so, this woman dodged a bullet. Nobody decent wants to be around people like this.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:18 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post

This, do not ask her out again, ever.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:02 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,331,793 times
Forget the girl and work on your drinking problem. No joke. If you can't keep it together and stay sober long enough on a first date to make a good impression, you might have a serious issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships