Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 02:35 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,841,954 times

Advertisements

Or is it just me?

I know most people work days,but i can not stay talking on the phone from 9am until 10am as a night shifter.

It is like 80% of men work day shifts.

Is it just not meant for night shift workers to date?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 03:04 AM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I guess night shifters date other night shifters...or people who work from home, or people who don't work...
A guy who care would show consideration and call just after you finish your shift or before you go to work.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:43 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Or is it just me?

I know most people work days,but i can not stay talking on the phone from 9am until 10am as a night shifter.

It is like 80% of men work day shifts.

Is it just not meant for night shift workers to date?
I had the same problem, though it was decades ago, still you have my sympathy. After a year in a new city working nights, I knew almost no one. I quit when I had completed a year because of it. I was friggin' lonely.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:19 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
Meet for breakfast before he goes in and then maybe you both exercise/gym date before you go into work and he’s getting out?

Old 05-01-2018, 03:21 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,929,349 times
A lot of people that I know who work night shift work like 12-14 hour shifts and only work 3 days a week, so they have days of downtime, their sleep schedule is probably just messed up. That's mostly for people who work at hospitals, who are nurses, etc.

My best friend works for an NHL team and sometimes works 16-18 hours a day, with one day a week off and sometimes it's spent in another city. He usually spends his day off catching up on all the sleep he lost. One of the biggest benefits to the job is that he only works from September until the team is eliminated from the playoffs. So he might only work from September-April a lot of years. I know he doesn't really have a lot of time to meet people during those months. There's a lot of travel and long hours, but then he's free for over 4 months to do whatever he wants.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:50 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,420,847 times
My brother worked for TWA at Kennedy airport in NY back in the early 70's. It was a third shift gig that had him getting off work at 7 am. There was a bar nearby the opened at 6 am and at 8 am had a rock band on stage blowing the doors off the place. Cops, fireman, nurses and other third shift people would pack the place. He met his wife there.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:57 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
It depends on your schedule. If you start at 5 p.m, dating a day-shifter wouldn't work out, probably. But if you start at 9 or 10 p.m., then you have most of the evening for dating; dinner, or an early-evening movie, going to art gallery openings, etc. And what about weekends? If you have weekends off, there's always that.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:42 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,882 times
I have worked shift work and also have often dated guys that worked both rotational and shift work. Sometimes it's hard to find time to get together, but I haven't found it to be too much of a hindrance. I'm sure it helps that rotational and shift work is normal both in my social circle and in the community I live in.

A much bigger problem for me was family incessantly pounding on my door during my "sleep" when I worked nights, even after I put a sign on my front door saying "I WORK NIGHTS - I AM SLEEPING!" They finally got it after I changed the note to read, "If you pound on my door while I'm sleeping, I will come pound on your door at 3AM." They had a 5-year old at the time, so they quit it.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:22 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,444,160 times
I've been working rotating shifts for about 29 years now, and yes it has made it more difficult without a doubt. Through a lot of trial and error, I found that I needed to be with someone who was very independent and were alright with the fact that there were quite a few times where our schedules would be in conflict. It took quite a few years, but eventually found someone who was able to adapt.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:59 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It depends on your schedule. If you start at 5 p.m, dating a day-shifter wouldn't work out, probably. But if you start at 9 or 10 p.m., then you have most of the evening for dating; dinner, or an early-evening movie, going to art gallery openings, etc. And what about weekends? If you have weekends off, there's always that.
OP's a nurse, so I doubt she has weekends off.

Sometimes you look for opportunities in your day-to-day life. My sister was an LPN. She met her husband when she was in nursing school. At night she cleaned motel rooms to support herself, and then when she got off she went to a nearby Dunkin Donuts. Her husband was a clerk at a hospital and had taken a second job at DD to support his kids after his divorce, and that's how they met. He went on to work M-F 9-5 in hospital administration, and she worked nights and weekends in an ER for the next 20 years. They made it work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships