Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 07:56 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,828,111 times

Advertisements

Why "Just Be Yourself" is the Worst, Yet Best Advice Ever

If we were to just be yourself , many of us will tend to rot at home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 07:58 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,724,837 times
If you don't have a problem keeping up a false identity and lying to yourself to please everyone, then by all means, do what you need to do.

Just know, a lot of people who got all sorts of plastic surgery and pretended to be something they aren't still get cheated on and left "to rot alone."

There are no guarantees. Be your best self, for you. Not for everyone else.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:08 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post

I smell ok, so I don't think I'm rotting just yet.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:21 AM

596 posts, read 890,076 times
Unbelievable, an article I actually agree with 100%. This is a first.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:25 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,093,352 times
Very good article, I agree...

Old 05-25-2018, 09:20 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,349,706 times
I glanced at the article and while the site in general seems at a glance to be a bit--lift hard-make money-get women, the advice looks pretty good.

I have a different take on this advice, though. I get that someone struggling hearing "just be yourself" is probably thinking, "being my effing self got me into this pit????". But I think the advice works when it's thought of as it's intended, which is to accept who and what you are, and to be a functional version of that person. Lying on the couch in your boxers eating a cheeseburger is not you being yourself. That's you responding, or better yet reacting maladaptively to some challenge or setback. That kind of a reaction isn't you, but rather, it's a choice you make.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:25 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,828,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
If you don't have a problem keeping up a false identity and lying to yourself to please everyone, then by all means, do what you need to do.

Just know, a lot of people who got all sorts of plastic surgery and pretended to be something they aren't still get cheated on and left "to rot alone."

There are no guarantees. Be your best self, for you. Not for everyone else.
This is very true

Old 05-25-2018, 10:03 AM

651 posts, read 408,078 times
Am I the one only whos having an issue with "being the best version of oneself"? Easier said than done. If people knew what that was I am sure they would be that.

Is it "always do the right thing"? But again, who's to say what that is? There are so many gray areas to deal with so such a simplistic advice in reality is just BS

Old 05-25-2018, 10:12 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,045,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post

There's truth in this. Because, quite frankly, there are a lot of people who just aren't all that. The hell of it is that they could make themselves into more attractive people with just a little effort. They don't take care of themselves, they have terrible attitudes, and are pretty self-centered.

Good grief, just reading a book every once in a while would make you a more interesting person.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:29 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanMarlton View Post
Am I the one only whos having an issue with "being the best version of oneself"? Easier said than done. If people knew what that was I am sure they would be that.

Is it "always do the right thing"? But again, who's to say what that is? There are so many gray areas to deal with so such a simplistic advice in reality is just BS
I think the most important thing is to call out that you do have to work on yourself, to be your best self. And you are always a work in progress.

The people not putting in any sort of work, may never find what they are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships