Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 12:38 AM

1 posts, read 556 times

Advertisements

I am dating a man whom I have been with for a few months now.

We have had our share of arguments but it's to be expected with his issues and my issues.

What bothers me is, he says he doesn't feel love for me after a fight and only feels feelings again once his anger has gone down and we are back on track.

This has happened several times now. He also wants to dump me nearly everytime we argue.

He basically only loves me when we are not arguing.

This can't be good, right? Would you stay with someone who thought like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 01:15 AM

61,768 posts, read 87,244,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperdollsmile View Post

We have had our share of arguments but it's to be expected with his issues and my issues.

What bothers me is, he says he doesn't feel love for me after a fight and only feels feelings again once his anger has gone down and we are back on track.

This has happened several times now. He also wants to dump me nearly everytime we argue.

Why do you ask? Don't you know? How do YOU feel about it?
Act accordingly...

Old 06-17-2018, 01:19 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,587,704 times
Swinging back and forth intensely - seeing things in only black and white - swinging between loving you and wanting to dump you after each argument or disagreement - is one of the characteristics of borderline personality disorder.

People with this disorder are not able to have satisfactory relaionships because of their intense swings back and forth. One minute they love you and then the next hour they cannot remember that they like or love you - everything is black or white.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:32 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,583,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Swinging back and forth intensely - seeing things in only black and white - swinging between loving you and wanting to dump you after each argument or disagreement - is one of the characteristics of borderline personality disorder.

People with this disorder are not able to have satisfactory relaionships because of their intense swings back and forth. One minute they love you and then the next hour they cannot remember that they like or love you - everything is black or white.
Yes, that is a trait of BPD, it doesn't mean the guy has the disorder. That is a huge leap.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:35 AM

Quote:

Well, think about that. Isn't that just being honest? Do you feel kissy face goo goo when you are angry at him? I have never. My brain knows I still love the person, but my emotions do not for a minute.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:47 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,587,704 times
It's not just a minute with this type of person. They seriously want to dump you for a while, after loving you the hour before. And they cannot remember liking or loving you for quite a while. And they want to end the relationship because they cannot remember the loving part. They are like a switch that switches on and off.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
It's not just a minute with this type of person. They seriously want to dump you for a while, after loving you the hour before. And they cannot remember liking or loving you for quite a while. And they want to end the relationship because they cannot remember the loving part. They are like a switch that switches on and off.
I feel that little is known about the man from the scant detail in the OP, though I understand what you are saying.

Old 06-17-2018, 03:22 AM

24,658 posts, read 9,482,550 times
Quote:

No, this is called a toxic relationship and it's a big red flag for you to run.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:00 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,595,587 times
Quote:

Feeling a bit cold or distant after an argument, I can understand, to an extent, particularly if the argument has left him with hurt feelings. I think lots of people need a "cooling down" period before they can feel warmly again, if that makes sense. I'm not talking about using silence as a weapon, or distance as a way to manipulate the other person, because I think that is just wrong, but the fact is that different people have different ways of dealing with strong emotions, and some people process them more slowly than others.

However...wanting to break up after each disagreement is a problem. What happens when you argue? Is one or the other, or both of you, saying unkind things that are not easily forgotten? It sounds like he is the one behaving badly here, but of course we only have one side of the story. Is he keeping you on eggshells, or is it possible that in the heat of the moment, you are saying or doing things that make him question the wisdom of staying with you?

It's hard to really form anything that feels like a fair opinion about this without a lot more information.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:01 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,994,136 times
It’s only been a few months. He probably doesn’t even actually “love” you anyway.

Whatever y’all’s personal issues are, it sounds like he needs to examine whether he is having some doubts about your relationship that he needs to take seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships