Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2018, 03:13 PM

207 posts, read 108,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
What the heck is a league? Man, if I rooster blocked myself I wouldn't have had some of the best dates of my life. Utter nonsense.
A league is the average guy pursuing a 22 year old Angelina Jolie for an one-night stand, or trying to compete with men who look like the 22 year old Brad Pitt , for a relationship with that woman.

Quote:
I rooster blocked myself I wouldn't have had some of the best dates of my life. Utter nonsense
You are probably more good-looking than you think yourself to be. I have a friend with male model level of looks(Sean O'Pry level of looks) who thinks of himself as 'not that special,' so when women throw themselves at him(basically every day) he doesn't believe why would women that attractive want to sleep with him.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:18 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yeah, these seem a.bit more important than wearing red. Hard to believe "wear red" is serious advice for a guy.
I wear Louisville Cardinals (red birds) gear a lot and it doesn’t help much.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:20 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,001,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
my experience as a woman, most guys don't care act leagues..

Many guys go for woman way beyond their supposed league.. only to be spurned and face cold rejection....
The best looking men may only succeed about 50% of the time, ignoring those with fame and wealth which increases prospects exponentially.

For "average" guys, it makes sense to approach women at all levels. Normal men will face rejection from women that are clearly in their league and sometimes from women that are a few notches below. Where some guys get it wrong is when they approach nothing but low-level supermodels. The guy that's a 5 who only flirts with 9's and 10's is delusional.

Men also do this because women rarely go out of their way to flirt in an unambiguous matter, unless she finds the man EXTREMELY attractive. Women typically present as neutral around average guys. For most men, waiting on some kind of signal from a woman is a good way to be stuck at home every weekend. Volume is more effective than selectivity. Women can obtain casual sex from most men if they really want it, so selectivity becomes much more important.

I'd guess that most women could go an entire week and only see a handful of men where they're like . For men, that probably happens multiple times every day.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:22 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshyy View Post
A league is the average guy pursuing a 22 year old Angelina Jolie for an one-night stand, or trying to compete with men who look like the 22 year old Brad Pitt , for a relationship with that woman.

You are probably more good-looking than you think yourself to be. I have a friend with male model level of looks(Sean O'Pry level of looks) who thinks of himself as 'not that special,' so when women throw themselves at him(basically every day) he doesn't believe why would women that attractive want to sleep with him.
I've seen pics of timberline. He is an average lookin' dude. He's not anywhere near bad looking, but as I've said of a few others I know in recent history, he isn't going to give anybody whiplash walking down the street. But if we had occasion to talk, I would definitely want to get to know him. And he will be some women's "type."

Please bear in mind that looks are subjective, to both men and women. I know women who don't find Brad Pitt attractive, and I know men who don't find Angelina Jolie attractive (at any age.) Some men love generous curves, some love tiny pixie types. Some women like a man who is bald and bearded, and some like a guy with a full head of hair or even long hair (or different body types, or what have you.) People's preferences just aren't all the same.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
The best looking men may only succeed about 50% of the time, ignoring those with fame and wealth which increases prospects exponentially.

For "average" guys, it makes sense to approach women at all levels. Normal men will face rejection from women that are clearly in their league and sometimes from women that are a few notches below. Where some guys get it wrong is when they approach nothing but low-level supermodels. The guy that's a 5 who only flirts with 9's and 10's is delusional.

Men also do this because women rarely go out of their way to flirt in an unambiguous matter, unless she finds the man EXTREMELY attractive. Women typically present as neutral around average guys. For most men, waiting on some kind of signal from a woman is a good way to be stuck at home every weekend. Volume is more effective than selectivity. Women can obtain casual sex from most men if they really want it, so selectivity becomes much more important.

I'd guess that most women could go an entire week and only see a handful of men where they're like . For men, that probably happens multiple times every day.
It depends on how many times my Facebook friends have shared pictures of Jeff Goldblum. The latest is him wearing this hideous rainbow cat sweater, with a pair of gold pants. Because he is who he is, he manages to pull this off and still be sexy.

Mind you, my appreciation of him went from moderate to high, when I read an interview he did. Talking about playing jazz piano at a little local dive, and making time for random people who wanted to chat with him, how fun and chill and smart and friendly he seems... That took him from "He looks good in that picture" to "I so wish I could meet him and I envy his wife a bit."

Old 07-02-2018, 03:29 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I haven't a clue what a Bentley looks like. Do most people?
I saw one when I was running errands today.

I don't know any woman who requires potential dates to have a Bentley but I wouldn't turn down a date with someone just because a guy has one (assuming he can afford it).

Old 07-02-2018, 03:35 PM

207 posts, read 108,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I've seen pics of timberline. He is an average lookin' dude. He's not anywhere near bad looking, but as I've said of a few others I know in recent history, he isn't going to give anybody whiplash walking down the street. But if we had occasion to talk, I would definitely want to get to know him. And he will be some women's "type."

Please bear in mind that looks are subjective, to both men and women. I know women who don't find Brad Pitt attractive, and I know men who don't find Angelina Jolie attractive (at any age.) Some men love generous curves, some love tiny pixie types. Some women like a man who is bald and bearded, and some like a guy with a full head of hair or even long hair (or different body types, or what have you.) People's preferences just aren't all the same.
By average-looking guy, what exactly are we talking about?

By league I mean someone who is matched with the opposite sex, with someone who is as plain as the plain man, as attractive as the attractive man etc. Because that's what happens when we look outside. People who are with people who have the same level of looks. I'm struggling to remember seeing a man who was below a woman in terms of aesthetics, clearly being her boyfriend. Unless we are talking about gold-diggers. In that case, yes, I've seen that happen often. And in the same vein I have never seen a man date a woman who was less attractive than he was, especially if we are talking about brutal sexual attraction.

I would hardly call looks to be subjective. If they were, we wouldn't have essentially male models turned actors making hundreds upon hundreds of millions of dollars. Harrison Ford, Ryan Gosling, Justin Timberlake, Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Antonio Banderas, and others. I doubt most women would reject these guys for an one-night stand, just like I would never reject a Claudia Schiffer, or a Cindy Crawford for an ONS. Beauty is unversal, and although I do agree that people have varied tastes, in the end it all boils down to set physical traits that signal good genetic fitness.

Would those men reject an one-night stand with Angelina Jolie if she offered? I'm asking before I have met women who claimed they would reject say, Gerard Piqué, or Sérgio Ramos, or David Beckham, or Cristiano Ronaldo, but they end up hooking up with guys... who look like that. I'm not blaming them for doing it. If Natalie Portman offered me sex I'd take it in a heartbeat.

I've never met a young woman(18-22) who was attracted to the bald and bearded type. Most of the women I've met that age, have been all over the clean-shaved, full head of hair type. Which is why I thank everynight my lucky star for having a father and every man in my family who never went bald, whose hairline never receded, nor thined.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
By average-looking guy, what exactly are we talking about?

By league I mean someone who is matched with the opposite sex, with someone who is as plain as the plain man, as attractive as the attractive man etc. Because that's what happens when we look outside. People who are with people who have the same level of looks. I'm struggling to remember seeing a man who was below a woman in terms of aesthetics, clearly being her boyfriend. Unless we are talking about gold-diggers. In that case, yes, I've seen that happen often. And in the same vein I have never seen a man date a woman who was less attractive than he was, especially if we are talking about brutal sexual attraction.

I would hardly call looks to be subjective. If they were, we wouldn't have essentially male models turned actors making hundreds upon hundreds of millions of dollars. Harrison Ford, Ryan Gosling, Justin Timberlake, Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Antonio Banderas, and others. I doubt most women would reject these guys for an one-night stand, just like I would never reject a Claudia Schiffer, or a Cindy Crawford for an ONS. Beauty is unversal, and although I do agree that people have varied tastes, in the end it all boils down to set physical traits that signal good genetic fitness.

Would those men reject an one-night stand with Angelina Jolie if she offered? I'm asking before I have met women who claimed they would reject say, Gerard Piqué, or Sérgio Ramos, or David Beckham, or Cristiano Ronaldo, but they end up hooking up with guys... who look like that. I'm not blaming them for doing it. If Natalie Portman offered me sex I'd take it in a heartbeat.

I've never met a young woman(18-22) who was attracted to the bald and bearded type. Most of the women I've met that age, have been all over the clean-shaved, full head of hair type. Which is why I thank everynight my lucky star for having a father and every man in my family who never went bald, whose hairline never receded, nor thined.
Are you trying to analyze only a certain set, such as women age 18-22? Because due to variance in life experience, people's priorities shift. Does the opinion of a 39 year old woman count?

I have been in the casual sex market before, and I did not go for the best looking ones. I went for the interesting ones. Looks aren't a good predictor of a fun sex experience, which is what I was looking for in a short term no strings fling or one-night-stand...though let's face it, if he was good I'd want more than one night, but was fully capable of stopping way short of a "relationship" and keeping it casual.

If you saw me with my partner, you might think I was a "gold digger" since he's 20 years older than me, I guess? I've already said it, I had objectively better "looking" prospects, who were willing to partner with me, and richer ones too. At parties, I get comments all the time on my appearance and people tell my partner he's a "lucky man" and stuff like that. I'm telling you, it was a lot of compatibilities and how he makes me feel that sealed the deal for me. I make more money than he does, too.

And yeah, some of the guys I know, would reject Angelina Jolie if she offered. I've heard some dudes say that they find her tattoos and her lips completely gross and offputting and she looks like a freak. Not their thing. Also, I will go no further into detail on timber's appearance, except to say that you proved my point unknowingly.

I personally think he probably has an easier time with women than some people, because he likely has a chill and approachable friendly vibe about him, and when he is given a social opportunity, he makes good. He doesn't stand around all tense, staring at women like a dog stares at a steak. He treats women like people. Sometimes it really is that simple. But all of that is just me making a best guess based on what I know of the dude.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:15 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
A league is the average guy pursuing a 22 year old Angelina Jolie for an one-night stand, or trying to compete with men who look like the 22 year old Brad Pitt , for a relationship with that woman..
Well an average guy is never going to run into Angelina Jolie. So rather a moot point.

Quote:

I wish, but if I was I'd probably have one night stands more often than I have (less than a handful in my life) and never have women "throw' themselves at me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

Thanks. I think?

Old 07-02-2018, 05:24 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,011,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
my experience as a woman, most guys don't care act leagues..

Many guys go for woman way beyond their supposed league.. only to be spurned and face cold rejection....

And it does not matter whether they aim too high or too low; the end result (rejection) is the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships