Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 773 times

Advertisements

At least from my experience and that of a couple of friends and what I've heard from a lot of people, these so called relationship experts are mostly failures. They give really worthless advice and I don't understand why they feel the need to pontificate to everyone else when they themselves are clueless.

Has anyone else noticed this? Do you think these so called relationship experts know what they're talking about? Would you date someone who talks a lot about dating but has a closet full of shortcomings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 08:49 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,755,090 times
To be honest, I don't believe I have ever met a "so-called relationship expert." Where are you finding these people? Who decides that they have the qualifications to be called experts?

Old 07-08-2018, 09:56 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,039,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
To be honest, I don't believe I have ever met a "so-called relationship expert." Where are you finding these people? Who decides that they have the qualifications to be called experts?
I see them all the time. In fact, there's a woman in my area that makes a living out of being a relationship expert...hell, she's been on local television.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:42 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,885,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Yes, me too....who are these people???

I'd be extremely suspicious from the start but that's just me. No way would I think they know more than I do about what's right for me or anyone else...

Old 07-08-2018, 10:48 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,730,996 times
This is news?

Old 07-08-2018, 11:34 AM

129 posts, read 102,011 times
I am not a big fan either. I had a friend when I lived up north who was a Psychologist specializing in relationships and marriage counselling. He did not even know that his wife was cheating on him until he got the divorce papers. She owned half of his practice so he had to sell it to pay her off and the only job he could get was with a company that provided Psychologists to Prisons.

I have read that the success rate of counselling is 80%, although I do not know one couple who stayed together much longer. Then I read the fine print that the study is the result of follow up with those willing to follow up, providing there was someone still at the mailing address, and only for a year after counselling. From what I see is most couples will give it another year to make it work and then it starts to fall apart so a one year success rate is not indicative of whether counselling works or not.

I believe that adults do not change there basic character. They can try to be better and do things differently but sooner or later we all revert to who we truly are. The other issue is that we cannot will love and feelings into or out of existence. Try making yourself love someone you see on the street. People tend to forget that emotions are the result of chemicals in our brain that are triggered by whatever our genetic code make us believe is a good mate to pass along our DNA.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:54 AM

207 posts, read 108,625 times
Marriage is not for everyone. It's a grueling enterprise that requires a lot of sacrifices and demands too many freedoms for it to work for a large amount of people. The problem is that society expects people to get married. People start feeling there's something wrong if they are approaching their 30s and they aren't in a long-term serious relationship that will turn into marriage. People become anxious as they reach their 40s and are still single. What people need to learn is that Marriage and co-habitation is not that pathway to paradise that many people sadly seem to believe in, and there's nothing wrong with being single and casually dating for as long as your body still has hormones driving you to do it.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:39 AM

1,063 posts, read 697,983 times
Most of them just provide common sense advice but adjust the flavor of the medicine so it doesn't taste as bitter and therefore sells well.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:22 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,298,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
I see them all the time. In fact, there's a woman in my area that makes a living out of being a relationship expert...hell, she's been on local television.
I would want to know how well HER relationships are going before I'd consider her an expert.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:05 AM

102,233 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I would want to know how well HER relationships are going before I'd consider her an expert.
Interesting. You're assuming she's in several relationships simultaneously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships