Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 08:37 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,421,645 times

Advertisements

Gay guy here. There is this guy that I go back and forth with on my feelings with. Him and I first met and dated three weeks. I suffered a brain injury in my third week, got cold due to my injury, he got scared and backed off. Once I recovered a month later, I came back to him to see if he still wanted to date, he said no we could be friends.

The thing is when he said "no" it didn't phase me. I didn't feel sad, hurt or down. In a way that told me maybe I wasn't into him at all. We continued with the friendship but no feelings towards him. After a few months he started dating someone, briefly.

Again, I felt nothing. No jealousy, no urge to fight over him. If anything I was happy for him. They soon broke things off. We continued with our friendship. As we hung out more and more we got closer and closer. Up until this summer.

He started to meet my close personal friends. Then all my friends were saying how they loved him and we would make a great couple. Then I started to notice he seems to be taking a liking to me. Wanting to hang out multiple times a week, wants to do trips with me. Through most of my time I felt nothing, but a couple months ago, with all my friends that have met him and even family pushing me to date him because of what a catch he is.

That's the thing he is a catch. Absolutely stunning and handsome. He turns heads everywhere we go. Sweet, caring, emotionally stable and we share a lot of the same values and morals. Some negatives are he's still young (he's 26 I am 33). Young in the sense he's trying to figure out who he is and sometimes I see how lost he is. Even how he sleeps around (about 3 guys a week) show me that he is still going through some stuff on who he is and what he wants. But it's becoming clear he is interested in me now.

The thing is I am confused on how much I like him. With most guys it's clear cut. But him I like him sometimes and sometimes I don't. Sometimes there is chemistry, sometimes it feels flat. Lately, I do get a little jealous if he mentions someone else, but then sometimes I don't care at all. If I found he was dating someone else, in all honesty, I would be a tinge down now, but it wouldn't affect me all that much.

We are doing our first trip together in a few weeks. I am getting nervous that he may try to do something, but I am not sure how to handle it, and not sure how to handle my feelings. Again, with most guys it's so clear cut how I feel about them. With him it's confusing. He fits into my life perfectly, but there is just a certain something missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 09:04 AM

399 posts, read 221,171 times
I think you're over-analyzing the situation. If you like him, why not hang out and see what happens? It's not like you're obligated to sleep with him.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:10 AM

61,742 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Who should know better than yourself? People on Internet?

Old 09-13-2018, 09:24 AM

2,949 posts, read 1,356,057 times
It's like you're trying to make the pieces of the relationship puzzle work and fit together but you simply can't. Like you said, OP, something is missing. And, that "something" is big and important enough that doubt keeps you perseverating about it.

I do not have a clear cut answer for you. Were it me, I would be inclined to spend some time with him in a local setting, but I would not go on a long trip with him because I would not want the pressure of having to spend time with someone I prefer not to or worry about him "trying something." If you do go and he tries something or takes things in a direction you are not comfortable with, tell him you're not comfortable with that and tell him "no." If he pushes and does not respect your boundaries, well, I think you have your answer.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
It's like you're trying to make the pieces of the relationship puzzle work and fit together but you simply can't. Like you said, OP, something is missing. And, that "something" is big and important enough that doubt keeps you perseverating about it.

I do not have a clear cut answer for you. Were it me, I would be inclined to spend some time with him in a local setting, but I would not go on a long trip with him because I would not want the pressure of having to spend time with someone I prefer not to or worry about him "trying something." If you do go and he tries something or takes things in a direction you are not comfortable with, tell him you're not comfortable with that and tell him "no." If he pushes and does not respect your boundaries, well, I think you have your answer.
In the past 12 months we have known each other was there a period of 2-3 weeks where I was like "You know what I think I do like him" but then again it went back to me being unsure.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:53 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
In the past 12 months we have known each other was there a period of 2-3 weeks where I was like "You know what I think I do like him" but then again it went back to me being unsure.
That sounds really lukewarm even at your warmest. "I think I do LIKE him"? What is your minimum requirement for a longer term non-monogamous relationship? That you don't tear each other's eyes out? Sounds like you're FWBs but you don't mention seeing other people? If that's the case, why not? Because you are more attached than you otherwise seem to feel?

If I was that lukewarmish I'd be actively pursuing other people.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:15 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
I think you're spending too much time with him, which is making you think that you like him more than you really do. Your state of confusion will not improve with spending more time with him, nor by even getting into a relationship with him, it will remain. You need to back off on spending time with him to re calibrate to what you really want/need.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I think you're spending too much time with him, which is making you think that you like him more than you really do. Your state of confusion will not improve with spending more time with him, nor by even getting into a relationship with him, it will remain. You need to back off on spending time with him to re calibrate to what you really want/need.
You may have a point. I am going out of the country next week, so it will be a period of three weeks that I don't see him. It's already been 2 weeks since we last saw each other (I traveled last weekend) and while I would love to see him, that DESIRE to see him isn't quite there. So maybe right there is my answer.

Another thing is, when I do like someone, I do pursue them heavy, but I just don't have that much of a desire. Again if I come back from my trip and find out he is dating someone seriously, I think I would be quite alright. I wouldn't be too hurt.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:32 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times
It seems like you're trying to force feelings simply because your friends and family said you'd make a great couple. If they backed off, I'd bet you'd have more clarity and realize that you're better off just being friends.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:32 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
You may have a point. I am going out of the country next week, so it will be a period of three weeks that I don't see him. It's already been 2 weeks since we last saw each other (I traveled last weekend) and while I would love to see him, that DESIRE to see him isn't quite there. So maybe right there is my answer.

Another thing is, when I do like someone, I do pursue them heavy, but I just don't have that much of a desire. Again if I come back from my trip and find out he is dating someone seriously, I think I would be quite alright. I wouldn't be too hurt.

Yes re-evaluate how you feel after 2-3 weeks away. Try not to talk either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships