Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 10:04 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,516,813 times

Advertisements

Was curious and wanted to hear from people 45 years old and up - People who have recently fallen in love again.

As for myself - I am 46. I have been married 2x - the 2nd marriage was a huge, huge mistake. I was married that time for 15 years (7 years in the first marriage). I stayed the last 8 years of that 15 year marriage entirely for my son. Before that - I just had this thing... I didn't wanna be "the guy" who was divorced two times. So, I stuck with it and tried my best to make it work in the beginning. Then, I ended up sticking with it ONLY because I had a 2 year old, and I wanted to be in his life.

I wanted to watch my son grow up and be in his life full time. I had planned to hang in there with the marriage until he was 17 or 18 years old, but I just couldn't take it any longer. It was killing me. I had several doctors complain to me that I had too much stress. I never could be honest with them and tell them what the stress was.... But, I made it in that marriage from ages 2 to 10 for him.

Anyway, I am now divorced. Best thing I ever did. And, I have my son for 1 entire week, and my ex has him for a week. It has worked well, or as well as it can.

And, about 18 or 19 months ago, I started dating a woman. Neither of us are looking to get married anytime soon. But, it is so, so, so nice to fall in love again. I swear, I feel like a teenager sometimes. It's crazy to feel that feeling again. I didn't know if I'd ever get that chance again.

My ex was basically a roommate to me. She was addicted to the internet, and spent every night on her ipad. Before ipads, she was on her computer. I essentially had someone to run errands with on Saturdays. That was about it - especially the last few years. I pretty much went everywhere alone. Even took trips and vacations by myself, because she did not want to go.

Fast forward to now. Last Christmas with my girlfriend was the best Christmas I have had since I was a child. To have someone to spend time with and to be interested in me. Wow, the feeling is so cool. Almost magical how I feel about her. I feel like I am 19 again.

Anyone else getting another chance, now that you are older?

I am a lot smarter now, and a lot less selfish. I've learned a lot. Hopefully I can put it to good use this time around

Old 10-09-2018, 10:14 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
My wife was 50 and I was 46 when we met online (when there were still free dating sites). I've been divorced twice, 2 kids living with their mother. She was widowed once and divorced once. Took me several months to talk her into meeting face to face. Like you, neither one of us was looking for marriage. But we seemed to hit it off right away. We lived 70 miles apart and took turns spending the weekend with each other. I had people telling me they noticed a big, good difference in me after I met her. She told me her kids (1 son, 2 daughters, all married with kids) really liked me after I met them. My boys weren't so sure (middle and high school age) but they were hearing things from their mother, so...
We'll be married 17 years this December.
Just enjoy yourselves and make the best of it.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:48 PM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
Anyone else getting another chance, now that you are older?

I am a lot smarter now, and a lot less selfish. I've learned a lot. Hopefully I can put it to good use this time around
There are plenty of people in this world that you can match with like peanut butter and jelly, the hard part is just trying to find them at the right time.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:49 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Yes. I honestly didn’t think I would feel this way, but I do, and it is a blessing.

I’m thankful I had a chance to find someone who’s so good for me.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:00 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,116,207 times
I'm 44 and have been in a new relationship for the past 9 months with someone that has been the best thing that ever happened to me. He treats me better than anyone I've ever been with and I can't believe I'm so lucky to have finally found someone like this. I keep saying that it took forever to get here because that's what it feels like.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGal7 View Post
I'm 44 and have been in a new relationship for the past 9 months with someone that has been the best thing that ever happened to me. He treats me better than anyone I've ever been with and I can't believe I'm so lucky to have finally found someone like this. I keep saying that it took forever to get here because that's what it feels like.
Yes, that is how I feel too.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:13 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,010,600 times
I wanted to watch my son grow up and be in his life full time...SO WHY couldn't you have done that divorced from the woman???Why are some men so quick to just think that once they get a divorce...they don't get to see their kids and think the ONLY way to see them is to stay in a horrible marriage...for the kids???You're not helping the kids staying in an environment like that at all.
Basically what you're saying is that it was easier for you to stay in the horrible marriage instead of getting a divorce and having to deal with custody issues or battles...
There are many men out there who have partial custody of their kid or kids once getting out of a horrible relationship.Yes, it is annoying and stressful to go through all of that mess but in the end, I'm sure it's worth it.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
I wanted to watch my son grow up and be in his life full time...SO WHY couldn't you have done that divorced from the woman???Why are some men so quick to just think that once they get a divorce...they don't get to see their kids and think the ONLY way to see them is to stay in a horrible marriage...for the kids???You're not helping the kids staying in an environment like that at all.
Basically what you're saying is that it was easier for you to stay in the horrible marriage instead of getting a divorce and having to deal with custody issues or battles...
There are many men out there who have partial custody of their kid or kids once getting out of a horrible relationship.Yes, it is annoying and stressful to go through all of that mess but in the end, I'm sure it's worth it.
When my son was 2, there is NO WAY my ex would have allowed me to have my son 1/2 the time. But at the time, I wanted to see him grow up. I wanted to see him everyday. I didn't want to miss anything.

I am in court 2 times a week for my job. I see divorces every day. Been doing this 18 years. I know how things work better than most.

After my sonw as older, she knew that my son would want it this way - so, that helped.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:49 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,923,196 times
OP wise strategy. I'll try to remember to pass that around.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:31 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Yes. I honestly didn’t think I would feel this way, but I do, and it is a blessing.

I’m thankful I had a chance to find someone who’s so good for me.
Same here, and I'm OLDER older. Was 59 when it started last year. Unexpected at this stage in my life, and a nice surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships