Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 10:05 PM

13 posts, read 5,384 times

Advertisements

I am 27 M she is 24 F. We are in accelerated nursing program and we got together fast. We started dating 2 or 3 weeks into school. Honey moon phase where we hit off hanged out and enjoyed each other's company. But I don't know if it was the stress of school or we got to know each other more, but I find out we are totally opposite personality wise. I am a type B easy going person, introverted, laid back, chill while she is a type A person extroverted, perfectionist etc... We began to argue a lot and had a really big fight. After that I noticed she began to be distant and I had enough so we talked about it hashed it out. Basically came to an agreement that we should break up. I felt like we could work it out, but she felt long term it wasn't a good idea. It hurts since I care about her a lot. It just happened now and I decided to take a nap and woke up and reality set in that we are actually broken up. But I guess it doesn't suck as bad because we been together for only about 14 weeks. I don't know just feels sad.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-29-2018 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: Merged two threads on same topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 10:08 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,248,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watislife1994 View Post
I am 27 M she is 24 F. We are in accelerated nursing program and we got together fast. We started dating 2 or 3 weeks into school. Honey moon phase where we hit off hanged out and enjoyed each other's company. But I don't know if it was the stress of school or we got to know each other more, but I find out we are totally opposite personality wise. I am a type B easy going person, introverted, laid back, chill while she is a type A person extroverted, perfectionist etc... We began to argue a lot and had a really big fight. After that I noticed she began to be distant and I had enough so we talked about it hashed it out. Basically came to an agreement that we should break up. I felt like we could work it out, but she felt long term it wasn't a good idea. It hurts since I care about her a lot. It just happened now and I decided to take a nap and woke up and reality set in that we are actually broken up. But I guess it doesn't suck as bad because we been together for only about 14 weeks. I don't know just feels sad.
Breakups are usually sad, mostly because it's the end of something we hoped would work. There's a bit of mourning that goes on.

But really, this is just how the dating process works. You aren't going to make it work with most of the people you meet, and the process can be fun AND sad. It's part of it.

Keep focused on your program and over time you really will feel better.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Breakups are usually sad, mostly because it's the end of something we hoped would work. There's a bit of mourning that goes on.

But really, this is just how the dating process works. You aren't going to make it work with most of the people you meet, and the process can be fun AND sad. It's part of it.

Keep focused on your program and over time you really will feel better.

Bad part is I haven’t had a girlfriend for a long time after a really bad break up. I’m not the type to need a gf but it feels bad when dating is hard for you enough then you find someone you like and it doesn’t work out. Deep down I just wanna feel wanted. That I will find someone that will make me happy

Old 11-27-2018, 10:19 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,248,700 times
Quote:
Bad part is I haven’t had a girlfriend for a long time after a really bad break up. I’m not the type to need a gf but it feels bad when dating is hard for you enough then you find someone you like and it doesn’t work out.
It does feel bad.

The thing is ... life is long, and you are not on any deadline. You will meet a lot of different people in your life, and you never know who you will hit it off with.

Try to resist feeling overwhelmed about your love life or anything like that and just keep your head down and your mind open. You're in a stressful program, and you need to make sure you do well. Don't put any unnecessary pressure on yourself.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:05 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,694,909 times
Quote:
14 weeks? Why not just say 3 months lol.

If you're already fighting this early, break it off and don't look back. You're young, plenty out there for you to date.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:19 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,929,512 times
Make it work. As a Nurse dating outside of the industry is going to be hard. Either make it work with her or another female nurse.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:30 PM

804 posts, read 551,886 times
It is healthy for couples to argue. Your suppose to make up afterwards. I have seen couples argue in day light with a crowd watching. I saw him put his hands on her and even swatted at her and everything. She even raised her hands a bit. It was like a fire that was eventually put under control.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:33 PM

6,802 posts, read 5,693,283 times
Sorry bud.. been there, done that. It never gets easy.

The best medicine is to get out, do something, hang out with friends.. just get your mind off of her. The worst thing you can do is to hang out at home alone. Get out and go somewhere, preferably with someone..

Old 11-29-2018, 02:17 AM

Default Huge fight with gf, never fully recovered. Trying to cope

I am 27 M she is 24 F. So just give you guys a background we are in school together and it is really demanding and stressful. It also doesn't help that we have same classes and sit next to each other all the time, working together on assignments etc... We had our fights here and there, but there was one incident in lab they needed people to be team lead and my friends were calling out my name as a joke and I was like anything but team lead. My gf said "wow you are such a beta male that is very unattractive" in front of everyone. After she said "my eyes are red, are you crying? in front of others. I was like no my eyes have been itchy all day. This made it incredibly embarrassing and upsetting for me. I held my cool and whispered to her that I will talk to her after class about it.

After class I basically ripped into her in private. Saying why would you say that? you are a biotch, you act like a kid, I said F you. So I had some choice words for her which I am not proud of. I think because it was so fresh and I was bottling inside after class. I apologized about what I said after, she apologized about what she said as well. I thought it was the end of it. Well this compounds to other things too, my gf started becoming distant and after thanksgiving break I would have to initiate everything to get her to talk to me and I was not even texting her often. So I wanted to see when we met in person if things will change and it didn't. I was fed up and said what is going on? No games, be mature with me. She has a lot of guy friends and she talked about the situation with them, how we were fighting a lot what I said etc... They asked her if we had much in common, are you happy, that it was wrong for saying what I said (I agree), and that this relationship has an "expiration" date. So from the talk she wanted to break up and I said okay.

I am trying to stay strong, but I haven't been in a relationship for awhile. It hurts more because I am in a town where there is seasonal weather, country/small town area, don't know anyone, not much to do, stress of school, gf problems. I only have one friend who I can really talk to that is about it and the other was my gf. It is still fresh and I have had trouble sleeping like right now. Ever since the break up I can't get a full nights rest. I have been trying to sleep throughout the night, but I keep waking up and thinking about it. I also think the lack of contact sucks too. She wants to be friends and I was thinking that it is possible, but from history that doesn't usually work out. I just know that she will not sit with me anymore, make new friends, become really distant etc... That is just how life works out. The whole situation sucks in general in terms of making the trip out here, going into this program, gf problems, etc.. I have become depressed from it. I just want to be a point in my life where I have a stable career and not have to worry about my future. Also relationships are hard for me to get into because I am not that outgoing and can be shy. Winter break is coming and I really need it. I will have 3 weeks to just unwind and relax. Recharge my batteries etc...

Moderator note: This post and those following have been merged into an existing thread re: the same relationship.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-29-2018 at 08:14 AM..

Old 11-29-2018, 02:59 AM

7,653 posts, read 4,208,455 times
Op, you didn't want to take a leadership role but that is not the result of shyness. It is the result of feeling incompetent or actually being incompetent. Knowing you cannot handle a task thrown upon you is smart. However, I do like to annoy people by taking things literally especially if there are no major consequences. I would have taken that opportunity to be team leader and if I failed at it, throw the blame and responsibility back on the people who nominated me. "Hey, you chose me as your leader. You still have a chance to call an "audible."

Now meeting with your girlfriend to discuss her behavior is way too father-like. Instead, you should have broken up with her. If something is not working in a relationship, walk away. On your own time, figure out what you want for yourself and work for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships