Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 08:56 PM

157 posts, read 89,650 times

Advertisements

I'm a single guy in my early thirties thinking about looking for a special someone. It seems like bars are where a lot of people go for this sort of thing, but I don't like going to them. Are there any good alternatives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 09:13 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,359,302 times
Try online dating like most Americans.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:40 PM

328 posts, read 573,748 times
Meetups.
Volunteer events.
Online dating is filled with people wanting to hook up and people wanting to marry a stranger the next day. Very rarely are people in the middle.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:08 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,965,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illumined View Post
I'm a single guy in my early thirties thinking about looking for a special someone. It seems like bars are where a lot of people go for this sort of thing, but I don't like going to them. Are there any good alternatives?
When you find an alternative let me know.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:09 PM

553 posts, read 303,003 times
Quote:
Where do you get that impression? The vast majority of people I know met their SO online or from the same social circle. I'm in my late 30s.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:10 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,517,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Try online dating like most Americans.
Yes, I think it's a better alternative than going to bars.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:20 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,906,783 times
Supposedly housewarming parties. :P

Old 11-18-2018, 10:59 PM

102,234 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Did you do a site search for this topic? We had a thread with almost the same title sometime in the last year or so.

Get involved in community activities, whether it's co-ed sports leagues or other sports groups (boating clubs of various sorts, hiking, biking), volunteering (enviro orgs, political action groups like Ralph Nader's PIRGS, etc., or your local film festival or street fair), classes and activities through your local Parks Dept., sister city committees, whatever, cooking classes (usually exclusively attended by women; choose a special cuisine class, like Chinese, Thai, Italian, vegetarian), Meetups, etc., continuing education classes (writing workshops, art, photography, whatever), etc.

If you have a dog, go to your local dog park after work, regularly. People are friendly and open to conversations when walking their pets. Join a theater group, take a specialized gardening class (banzai, etc.). See what your city has to offer, and go join something.Hiking clubs, and your local recreational equipment co-op tend to have singles events, and social gatherings in the winter. Attend travel seminars at your local travel bookstore or recreational equipment store. There are so many possibilities for meeting women. Attend events at your local Indi bookstore.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:10 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,931,199 times
Quote:
Is it because you don't drink? I don't drink, but I've went to bars to hang out with friends who drink sometimes. non-alcoholic drinks are usually free there at most of the bars I go to. They compensate by whacking all the people who are drinking alcohol by overpricing the drinks haha. Oddly enough, I think I've been approached by more women in bars than anywhere else.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:25 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,931,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levels77 View Post
Where do you get that impression? The vast majority of people I know met their SO online or from the same social circle. I'm in my late 30s.
I always read this bit about social circle on here, I guess it all depends on what qualifies as social circle? I met who I'm with now because of someone we both knew, but it wasn't set up that way. We weren't set up with one another, we just met through her and ended up together. It's a long story.

As far as the people I know? My parents met in high school (and split a few years later). My grandparents met in high school at a party, but they didn't attend the same school. My cousin met his girlfriend at a bar. They had mutual acquaintances, but didn't realize it until after they met. My best friend met one of his long term girlfriends back in high school and they went to the same school. They met because he used to go into her restaurant. His other long term girlfriend he met because their mom's were actually best friends their whole lives. Although he and the girl were almost 7 years apart, so they didn't hang out growing up, but got together when they were both adults. I guess that's a social circle or close enough. I have a friend who met his girlfriend just at a local restaurant/hangout where they live, that they both frequented.

Last edited by Runninglikethieves; 11-19-2018 at 01:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships