Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 06:12 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,037,722 times

Advertisements

I saw recently a posting of a local singles mixer happening in a city about an hour away. You have to pay 20 bucks a pop though, and I was surprised at the large RSVP list of people signing up (over 100) via the Meetup platform. I rarely see this many sign up for any event in this amount. The thing is, the organizer only hosts it like once every 4 months. So it's not a routine Meetup. Of course, it's a Valentines Day mixer...so it would make sense.

That said, would you, or have you ever been to a paid singles event like this? If you had, had you any luck doing so? Figured with people who do some online dating here, it'd behoove them to attend these organized in-person singles events, yes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 06:19 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
LOL, no.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:26 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,079,443 times
I live in a small town, we do no such things. I know everybody and who is single/not single. I'm not interested in any who are single.

Plus my personality doesn't fit those things. I'd hate every second of it

Old 01-25-2019, 06:48 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,698,043 times
If looking for local singles wouldn't it be easier if you just got out there and mingled with the locals? Eventually you'll find an opposite sex single, or same sex nowadays to some, with similar interests and you take it from there.
This younger generation appears to fear face to face meetings and rejections. So glad I grew up when I did. Didnt need to pay someone to "hook" up with or a computer to tell you who is a match and who isn't.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:54 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,522,377 times
I used to go to them, and enjoy them. Even though sometimes, people would go there it seemed to just hang with their friends, overall I had a good time. I enjoy dancing, and having a few drinks, so it was all good for me, and there were times where I actually met people and went on a few dates with them.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:01 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,037,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I live in a small town, we do no such things. I know everybody and who is single/not single. I'm not interested in any who are single.

Plus my personality doesn't fit those things. I'd hate every second of it
I live in a small town, too. Most where I live between the ages of 25 and 55 are married or in long term relationships, retirees, or if they are single...they are the kind of people that keep their old toilets in their front lawns. lol

This event was advertised in the nearest big city an hour away. Since you know everyone that's single, and those who are single...you would not date at all...would you attempt to commute to a big city an hour away to check out the available singles? Or are you even really looking?

Quote:
If looking for local singles wouldn't it be easier if you just got out there and mingled with the locals? Eventually you'll find an opposite sex single, or same sex nowadays to some, with similar interests and you take it from there.
I think it depends on where you live. Whenver I go to a local area restaurant, wine venue, or some small town downtown area that's having a street festival....all I see are families with kids in tow. Sure I'd spot some attractive woman, but the boyfriend or husband would be around the corner...with little Jefferey on his shoulders.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:19 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Why would someone in a real city want to date someone an hour outside it? It isn't about the person in the small town being willing, its about the other person. Just move to the city.

I moved to a small city from a decent sized one (Boston) and there were people where I live now that were interested in me when I lived there (because the pool is small where I live now), but I wasn't going to deal with that. Why would I? There are thousands of people within a few square miles of where I was.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:26 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,079,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
I live in a small town, too. Most where I live between the ages of 25 and 55 are married or in long term relationships, retirees, or if they are single...they are the kind of people that keep their old toilets in their front lawns. lol

This event was advertised in the nearest big city an hour away. Since you know everyone that's single, and those who are single...you would not date at all...would you attempt to commute to a big city an hour away to check out the available singles? Or are you even really looking?

I just got out of a 4.5 year relationship, so right now I am not looking to date. I do worry about it, though. The locals are the same people I went to HS with. Many are married, have kids, divorced w/kids, on drugs, or have toilets in their front lawns lol I haven't dated anybody from my county since HS.

My last BF was from the town over, but he moved an hour away for work. We did that distance for 3 years of the relationship. It's okay for a while, but eventually the distance takes a toll. My goal is to move from my rural town, so that may help. But that takes time, not everybody can up and move

Old 01-25-2019, 07:33 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,109 times
I've been to these, but never met anyone there. Speed dating events are better, although those are hit or miss as well.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:45 AM

880 posts, read 532,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Why would someone in a real city want to date someone an hour outside it? It isn't about the person in the small town being willing, its about the other person. Just move to the city.

I moved to a small city from a decent sized one (Boston) and there were people where I live now that were interested in me when I lived there (because the pool is small where I live now), but I wasn't going to deal with that. Why would I? There are thousands of people within a few square miles of where I was.
Last bf lived 1.5 away in a much bigger city and would regularly drive out to see me. Give them a good enough reason to come out and a one hour drive is nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships