Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 08:35 PM

279 posts, read 593,517 times

Advertisements

A guy I briefly dated 12 years ago has recently contacted me a few times over social media. He first contacted me on social media 6 years ago, but I didn’t see the message until three years later. I did respond, but he didn’t see my message until two years later (which was last summer). So we exchanged a few messages last summer (just polite “how have you been” stuff) and I thought that was it. Then he sent me a “hope you’re well” message several months later a few weeks before Christmas and I sent a polite response back, but thought that was it. Then today, I got a message from him asking if I’d like to meet for coffee.

Once again, I haven’t seen or spoken to this person in 12 years. We aren’t friends on social media, he just contacted me randomly. I don’t really remember much about him but luckily I have an old journal where I did mention him so in reading that, I found out that we had eight dates 12 years ago. I was getting annoyed because he was taking a really long time to kiss me and I felt like there wasn’t much chemistry between us, but then after he finally kissed me (on our 7th date), I still wasn’t really into him. I don’t see a journal entry about how I ended things with him, but I’m assuming I told him that I didn’t think we were right for each other or something. I started dating someone else a few months later and never regretted my decision to move on.

I don’t know if he’s just feeling lonely since it’s around the holidays but I’m not sure why he wants to see me again. It’s not like we had that great of a time together. But I also feel bad about rejecting him because he seems like a nice guy, and I know that I’ve thought about people from my past too and would like to see some of them again. But I really don’t think there’s a chance that I’m going to fall for him this time around considering that I wasn’t interested back then, so I don’t really want to waste his time by accepting the coffee date. But I’m also not dating anyone else at the moment, so I wonder if I should just meet with him anyway?

Women: Would you go if you were single?

Men: If you contacted a woman after so many years, would you rather her turn you down or meet with you anyway even though she’s pretty sure that she’s not interested in you? Would you want to have one last shot to change her mind anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 08:44 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BangBangShrimp View Post
A guy I briefly dated 12 years ago has recently contacted me a few times over social media. He first contacted me on social media 6 years ago, but I didn’t see the message until three years later. I did respond, but he didn’t see my message until two years later (which was last summer). So we exchanged a few messages last summer (just polite “how have you been” stuff) and I thought that was it. Then he sent me a “hope you’re well” message several months later a few weeks before Christmas and I sent a polite response back, but thought that was it. Then today, I got a message from him asking if I’d like to meet for coffee.

Once again, I haven’t seen or spoken to this person in 12 years. We aren’t friends on social media, he just contacted me randomly. I don’t really remember much about him but luckily I have an old journal where I did mention him so in reading that, I found out that we had eight dates 12 years ago. I was getting annoyed because he was taking a really long time to kiss me and I felt like there wasn’t much chemistry between us, but then after he finally kissed me (on our 7th date), I still wasn’t really into him. I don’t see a journal entry about how I ended things with him, but I’m assuming I told him that I didn’t think we were right for each other or something. I started dating someone else a few months later and never regretted my decision to move on.

I don’t know if he’s just feeling lonely since it’s around the holidays but I’m not sure why he wants to see me again. It’s not like we had that great of a time together. But I also feel bad about rejecting him because he seems like a nice guy, and I know that I’ve thought about people from my past too and would like to see some of them again. But I really don’t think there’s a chance that I’m going to fall for him this time around considering that I wasn’t interested back then, so I don’t really want to waste his time by accepting the coffee date. But I’m also not dating anyone else at the moment, so I wonder if I should just meet with him anyway?

Men: If you contacted a woman after so many years, would you rather her turn you down or meet with you anyway even though she’s pretty sure that she’s not interested in you? Would you want to have one last shot to change her mind anyway?
I know it sounds stupid, but I would hope you chose the latter. It might provide some finality for me.

But at same time, stepping outside of my own needs or desires, you shouldn't feel obligated to do anything. If there's a small chance you might feel connection, then fine. But if you absolutely know there is none, then you shouldn't feel obligated to give another chance.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:32 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,407 times
12 years later, You're still single. He hasn't forgotten you. You're both older and wiser now. I'm curious where this might go. As long as he's not dangerous.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:35 PM

20 posts, read 21,562 times
Since you're both single; I would go out with him. Sometimes people change, sometimes they don't, but, you're not going to know until you go out with him.

Good luck and please post an update if you decide to go out with him. :-)

Old 01-02-2019, 09:40 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,256,773 times
Quote:

It sounds like he's feeling a bit nostalgic and looking to reconnect with you. However, it sounds like you felt "meh" about him then and pretty much the same about him now... so there's really no point in meeting up.

I would politely decline his invitation and wish him well.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen963 View Post
It sounds like he's feeling a bit nostalgic and looking to reconnect with you. However, it sounds like you felt "meh" about him then and pretty much the same about him now... so there's really no point in meeting up.

I would politely decline his invitation and wish him well.
I’m just surprised that he would want to reconnect with me out of all the other people who I assume he’s dated over the years (well maybe he contacted them too). I’m very much a nostalgic person myself so I do understand where he’s coming from if that’s what this is about. Or maybe he feels like he should’ve done things differently then? Even though I complained about it in my journal, I really don’t think I was that bothered that he took so long to kiss me. I think I was probably just looking for a reason not to be interested in him, so I chose to focus on that. I don’t remember a thing about him other than that he seemed like a nice guy and he didn’t make any physical moves on me until I asked him why he hadn’t kissed me yet. I would not go out 8 times with someone who I didn’t like at all, so I must’ve liked him somewhat.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:43 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,515,655 times
Go meet him 1x, and then go from there. Why not?

Old 01-03-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
Go meet him 1x, and then go from there. Why not?
I don’t want to get his hopes up for nothing by agreeing to meet with him, but I haven’t responded yet.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:41 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,515,655 times
Quote:
I don’t want to get his hopes up for nothing by agreeing to meet with him, but I haven’t responded yet.
I don't think you would. I know the past history makes it a little different than a 1st time date with a totally new person. But, if you don't go, you'll always wonder...

Just my suggestion....

Old 01-03-2019, 01:45 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Do you still keep a diary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships