Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 02:30 AM

4 posts, read 6,161 times

Advertisements

Did you completely move on from each other (dating other people, not really thinking about the other, not ever thinking you'd get back together) or did you kind of stay in touch and know in the back of your mind that when/if things changed, you'd make your way back to each other? (Want to hear regardless of whether it worked out in the end or not!)

I know it'll be different for different people, just interested in hearing stories, seeing trends.

Not looking for philosophies on whether exes should get back together or not, see above for question being posed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 04:13 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,963,524 times
There is a reason they are called “Exes.”

Keep it that way.

Some who tried a second time get a rude awakening as they wake up saying, “Oh yeah! THAT’S why I broke up with him/her!”

Old 01-28-2019, 04:41 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,039,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgo311055 View Post
Did you completely move on from each other (dating other people, not really thinking about the other, not ever thinking you'd get back together) or did you kind of stay in touch and know in the back of your mind that when/if things changed, you'd make your way back to each other? (Want to hear regardless of whether it worked out in the end or not!)

I know it'll be different for different people, just interested in hearing stories, seeing trends.

Not looking for philosophies on whether exes should get back together or not, see above for question being posed.
I think in some cases, people make the mistake of getting back together with their ex, and usually it's out of sheer desperation.

1. Break up.
2. Start dating again.
3. Sick of the dating options and just hate the dating process.
4. Go back to ex only due to your familiarity with them, and not because of the reasons your broke up with him/her.

Quote:
There is a reason they are called “Exes.”
Yep, ex's are ex's...for a reason. I know a few women that said once they are broken up, that's it...they are done and there's NO getting back together.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:55 AM

410 posts, read 344,133 times
Make a clean break.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:19 AM

1,702 posts, read 2,325,769 times
Me: Miss, think about them even if it was a mutual breakup. Couldn't think of dating someone else within the first few months.

Her: party with her girls, date right away, sex with different guy, then she starts calling me, wants to get go out again.

Me: No thanks, got over it

Old 01-28-2019, 07:04 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,218,671 times
I believe the question was directed at those who DID get back together.
We did. We maintained some, not much but some, contact because we had kids.
We both saw others (none seriously) in the meantime (over 6 months with a legal separation)
I'm the one that left and thought it was going to be permanent...turns out he didn't.
We ended up staying together 'forever after' until he died.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:23 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,080,484 times
I have with two ex's, both were mistakes. The breakup was the right thing to do.

Both times it wasn't a clean break. We kept in touch too much and thought we could "make it work this time".

Old 01-28-2019, 09:47 AM

31 posts, read 23,479 times
Going through it right now, been 1 week and the only time we have talked was when she texted me on my birthday...

Old 01-28-2019, 01:37 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,566,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgo311055 View Post

I had a boyfriend who I dated for about a minute back when we were quite young. (Ours was not a serious relationship by any stretch of the imagination, mind.) He and I remained in touch over the years and, nearly twenty years after our initial meeting, fell for one another as "grownups" and decided to try to make a go of it.

Three years after reconnecting, distance with a lack of even a vague timeline of when we would "close the gap", religious and personal differences , lack of good communication, and clinical depression (his) put an end to our renewed relationship.

I have few regrets about reconnecting with him other than the fact that I hurt him by ending things. It's never easy to hurt a decent human being.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:48 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,306,739 times
Went with my girl two years and broke up. Dated several women in the months that followed, but longed for her back again.

Got back together, married her seven years later.

We've been married thirty-three years now.

But to answer the OP, see bolded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships