Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 03:31 PM

1,279 posts, read 852,412 times

Advertisements

I have a long-time neighbor and friend who I get together with once every few weeks. We're both straight men, and he's married. Here's today's email exchange:

Him: "Interested in grabbing dinner this evening?"

Me: "Sure, but I don't know if I can leave the office in time. I might know later, but why don't we just plan on another time?

Him: "Will you know by 4:30pm?"

Me: "Yes."

So at 4:25pm:

Me: "I'm free."

Him: "When?"

Me: "Anytime after 6pm."

Him: "OK"

Me: "Do you want to go to Restaurant ABC, on me?" (It's a nicer place, and I owe him a favor.)

Him: "Sure. Do you want to meet at my place at 6?" (He doesn't live far from Restaurant ABC, but I'd have to go to his place and then go back in the other direction to Restaurant ABC, making a long trip for me.)

Me: "Yes. Do you want to just go to Pub 123?" (It's an inexpensive place near him. He's really thrifty. I'd be willing to pay, but he might have wanted to pay for himself. It's a place he goes often.)

Him: "So sorry, my wife says that she wants to have dinner- just the two of us."

Me: "No problem."

Him: "Really sorry."

I don't doubt that his wife did that.

But what kind of marriage is that? The husband can't even make plans without having his wife cancel them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 03:34 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,959,249 times
A marriage where the man wants to keep the peace. ��

Old 02-01-2019, 03:37 PM

1,279 posts, read 852,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
A marriage where the man wants to keep the peace. ��

You're exactly right, but if I were married and my wife had plans with a friend, I wouldn't make her cancel them.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:39 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,152,194 times
He should have mentioned to his wife that he was planning to make plans with you beforehand, not after the fact. She could have made other plans, too. In our marriage, we assume we're having dinner together unless one of us speaks up otherwise, and I don't mean 90 minutes before the fact.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:43 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
She might have not known and already made plans.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:26 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
It is Friday night. It's not unusual for couples to think of that as a date night. Your friend has a better chance of getting laid with his wife than with you, right?

Old 02-01-2019, 04:58 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
Maybe he didn't want to go to Pub 123.

Or he wants to get laid tonight so the doing what the wife wants is a guarantee for some sex.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:40 PM

735 posts, read 452,457 times
Depend on how many times a week that he and his wife get to go out just the two of them. If it's once a week, and that's about the time, his wife gets the first priority. If he already went out with his wife a couple times that week, and he already told her about his dinner plan with his friend, any understanding woman would let her husband goes out with his friend, unless she thinks that friend is a bad influence on her husband.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:42 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,028,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
He should have mentioned to his wife that he was planning to make plans with you beforehand, not after the fact. She could have made other plans, too. In our marriage, we assume we're having dinner together unless one of us speaks up otherwise, and I don't mean 90 minutes before the fact.
Same here. We don't ask each other for permission but we do consult each other about plans before making them with others. I find it odd that others would take issue with that.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:11 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Yup. I'd like to know the backstory here. Did he clear with his wife his going out to dinner with his buddy? Doesn't sound like it. She may have already been looking forward to dinner with her hubby, then suddenly found out he'd made plans with you, OP. Don't assume she did it to be controlling, or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships