Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:33 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,629,739 times

Advertisements

I'm a 29 year old, well educated, single professional and I'm curious to get people's feedback about where to meet people. As we all know, the bar scene is just terrible and I don't condone meeting people online. I'm just looking for opinions about where to meet quality people to date other than the latter options. It seems so many people out there are single and always complain about the lack of quality of people to date. Is it because so many people are looking in the wrong places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 09:44 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Wow. I never thought of the bar scene as being terrible...lol. I guess it is. I just posted a story about meeting two guys at a bar that turned out to be sort of useless.

The reason I don't have anybody to date is because I am gay. Gay men are not so common and are VERY immature....:P

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I'm a 29 year old, well educated, single professional and I'm curious to get people's feedback about where to meet people. As we all know, the bar scene is just terrible and I don't condone meeting people online. I'm just looking for opinions about where to meet quality people to date other than the latter options. It seems so many people out there are single and always complain about the lack of quality of people to date. Is it because so many people are looking in the wrong places?

Old 04-08-2008, 09:55 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,629,739 times
Well I'm straight and I think the bar scene is awful. Most people I know would agree. I do know people who have met at bars but I wouldn't want to. I've wasted enough time and money at bars to know they're not a good place to meet people. Most women put up a wall at bars or are just completely superficial in a bar setting. A lot of girl friends of mine say they don't like meeting men at bars. They just want to hang out with their friends and dance.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:21 PM

720 posts, read 1,408,322 times
I am no expert on this subject. I have the same problems with meeting decent men. I troll book stores, for books not men, and find a lot of singles there. Almost every time I am browsing, I get chatted up. I also find grocery stores a place of interest as well. All I can say is good luck in the search hon....

Old 04-09-2008, 09:20 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,471,750 times
Join athletic groups in your community. Like running groups, volleyball, etc...

Old 04-09-2008, 09:32 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
Have you tried The golf course at Avila Beach? Safeway on Marsh St? The library? The laundrymat on Pismo and So. Higuera? If you cant meet a woman in SLO youre doing something wrong. That place is FULL of beautiful, well educated, conversant women!! Good luck!!

Old 04-09-2008, 10:07 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Regular non-meat market activities, volunteer work. You want to meet these single women without them being in a shopping for a mate mode. You want to meet the real person and not when she is out with her friends drinking and all of them egging each other on at a bar or club.

Find activities that you enjoy doing and do them. Somewhere along the way, you will meet some quality single women while doing them. And actually, make it a point to be honestly friendly to everyone in your activity group. Network. If you impress the right person, they could end up introducing you to one of their single friends.

I've had the best luck meeting my future s/o's during daylight hours.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:26 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
I met my wife thru a Personal Ad that I placed and she answered. We are extremely compatable and were both ready for marriage again. We have been together for 8 years and it has been great......some ups and downs, but still great. We are a year apart in age (me:59/her:60).
Personal Ads are great as long as you tell the truth about yourself (looks, job, interests). With a Personal Ad, you don't have to worry about what a person tells you in a Bar after drinking most of the night.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:23 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
Volunteer, classes, lectures, church, political campaigns...

Old 04-09-2008, 02:00 PM

545 posts, read 2,044,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
REPLY: I think many are going to the wrong places, like Bars. I would try the Singles Ministry of a large established Church ; theres a good chance youll find decent people there with high values, morals, ethics, and direction in life . Many Church Singles Groups do very diversified things, activities, trips, teachings relevant to singles, vacations together...and it is almost always a very relaxed sociable environment without having to put on a face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships