Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 09:48 AM

934 posts, read 1,440,115 times

Advertisements

Just need some advice here,

If you have been seeing somebody for a couple of months, and then eventually they started slowly fading away, how would you handle it? For a little bit of context, things had been going slow but there was a strong attraction and we enjoy each other's company when we're together. However, he's hesitant to commit, and I can tell (largely because of his past baggage and busy work life), things are probably not going to work and he's starting to slow fade away in communication and face-to-face dates. So I'm wondering if I should reach out and call him out for closure, asking him if there's something he needs to tell me, or just let it die.

I do like him and wish things would've turned out differently which is why I feel like confronting him might give me clarity so I'm sure I'm seeing things correctly. However, I'm not sure if I would get the truth or just "I've been really busy." On the other hand, I feel like being vocal about his feelings and intentions are his job and if he chooses to fade away like this, I should just let it happen and move on.

Has anyone been in a similar situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 09:51 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Yes, communicate.

“It feels like you’re pulling away. If that’s the case, just let me know.”

Old 04-20-2019, 10:25 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post

If you have been seeing somebody for a couple of months, and then eventually they started slowly fading away, how would you handle it? For a little bit of context, things had been going slow but there was a strong attraction and we enjoy each other's company when we're together. However, he's hesitant to commit, and I can tell (largely because of his past baggage and busy work life), things are probably not going to work and he's starting to slow fade away in communication and face-to-face dates. So I'm wondering if I should reach out and call him out for closure, asking him if there's something he needs to tell me, or just let it die.

I do like him and wish things would've turned out differently which is why I feel like confronting him might give me clarity so I'm sure I'm seeing things correctly. However, I'm not sure if I would get the truth or just "I've been really busy." On the other hand, I feel like being vocal about his feelings and intentions are his job and if he chooses to fade away like this, I should just let it happen and move on.

I want to say let the slow fade to black happen but men never do it that way. Instead they just get lazier and lazier and then when they are ready to get laid text you "Hey wyd?" like nothing ever happened, like you're just going to pick up right where you left off. And yes, if you confront him about it at that point, he's just going to say he's been busy. So you have to address it now and either tell him it's over and you don't want to do it anymore and you can move on, or tell him he has to pony up right now, and set a date in your own mind (don't tell him) of when you're going to end it for sure if he doesn't keep any promises he's about to make.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:18 AM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
You could always end it yourself. I know, I've BTDT and you hate to do it-- you might not be sure you're right about what's happening, or you may feel it shouldn't be your responsibility to fix their emotions*.

If you're fine with a slow fade-- the relationship isn't causing you distress, you don't feel you're being prevented from finding someone else, etc.-- you can always do it that way. You can try talking to the person but as you said, you don't know if you're going to get the truth (and you probably won't-- if they were inclined to being really honest with you, they would've just ended it rather than fading). Those are pretty much your three options.

*I admit I tend to have a hard time balancing my desire to NOT be with someone who doesn't want to be with me/is just faking it, and my feeling that I'm not responsible for reading someone else's mind and it's not my job to let them off the hook/do their "dirty work" for them of ending it so they don't have to scrape up the huevos to do it themselves. I tend to think either a person needs to be honest about their feelings and do the hard task of telling someone they no longer want to be their significant other/friend/they don't want to hang out/whatever, or live with being unhappy with the other person's presence without blaming the other person. But, I also tend to think that I don't need anyone in my life who doesn't want to be, so it's a game of weighing which is more important to me in each situation.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:48 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
It's totally up to you.

Lot of factors here we can't really account for:

Context of your relationship.
Dialogue
Who both of you are as people.

You have all the information you need. Just make a decision and stick with it.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:22 PM

3,639 posts, read 1,596,995 times
Quote:

"I feel like confronting him might give me clarity so I'm sure I'm seeing things correctly"

What 'things'? His actions are the 'things', he's fading, and you're seeing that clear as day. You can send a message every now and then to see if he responds, like "I still remember that fun time we had at ...hope things are going well for you at work". Just send something like that, which is your indirect way of saying "I wish things had turned out differently", and he may or may not respond.

"I feel like being vocal about his feelings and intentions are his job"

Yes when you are in a relationship. Until then either side doesn't have to say anything about their feelings or intentions. Seeing someone for only a few months is hardly a relationship. I can say this, guys don't like to end something that really never started. They don't call up and say "hey, I need to end what we have going, just letting you know". Instead they stop contacting. All of a sudden or slowly.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:01 PM

11,394 posts, read 24,438,947 times
If someone is really, really interested in you, baggage and work are not big issues.

Best thing to do is mirror his behavior. Be less available.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:00 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,255,476 times
Quote:

The "fading out" IS your answer.

Most people are never too "busy" for the person they REALLY want to be with. There's always time no matter how chaotic or full their schedule and life may be.

Let him go and move forward.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:04 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
Communicate.

I have a different perspective. I read a thread that talks about fading in a couple of months, and think of the 40 year road I have travelled in my relationship. You've only just begun. Make decisions that are right for you. A true relationship will grow organically, not forced.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:47 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,829,673 times
I think it matters if you had an agreement of exclusivity/monogamy or not. However, if you were just seeing each other casually without any agreement between you, then I think you already have your answer. I've never really understood what "closure" is and why it's important. It usually just means someone wants to have the last word, as far as I can tell.

I would keep looking forward and start dating others. If/when he eventually contacts you again (and he probably will), you'll have forgotten all about him. Sorry, OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships