Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 09:38 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,515,655 times

Advertisements

I know my post may be a bit unusual, because most people here post threads about relationship problems that need to be solved...

In my case, I am involved with a wonderful girlfriend whom I have been dating for about 2.5 years. It is tough dating someone who lives 3 hours away, but she is amazing. I can only see her every other weekend, because I have my 12 year old son every other week (my ex and I alternate weeks). And, a 6 hour round trip is just too far to make unless it is on a weekend.

I am hoping that she eventually moves to my area. We've talked about it many times, but due to work, things are complicated for both of us.

Anyway - every summer, my girlfriend goes away for 4-6 weeks to visit her family out of the country. I am very happy for her to visit her daughter and her parents (her daughter went to school here, but decided to go to college where her grandparents live).

This is the 3rd summer she is doing this since I met her. But, how come the longer I date her, the harder it is to be away from her for the summer (not a question I really need answered - I know why)? Hell, it's only been 2 days since I dropped her off at the airport, and I already miss her very much. I gotta make it to August 16th before I see her again.

With her and I being almost 50, it is amazing to feel this in love. But, it also makes the separation that much harder.

Sorry to make a post that really needs no reply... Just felt like writing things out to make me feel better for a little while

Old 07-04-2019, 04:54 PM

314 posts, read 238,472 times
Default ...missing you...

Sometimes it feels better to share the "missing someone". Hang in there old man. You're doing okay.

"Lonely days, lonely nights - Where will I be without my woman?" - Bee Gees

- Johnny Boy

Old 07-04-2019, 05:34 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,866,838 times
What about you moving to her area?

Or is there somewhere in between to cut down travel time?

Old 07-04-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
What about you moving to her area?

Or is there somewhere in between to cut down travel time?
No. I have a 12 year old. He lives 1 week with his mother, and one week with me. If I move closer to her, it creates issues for me getting him to school. So, I can't do that until he finishes high school.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:15 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Having been in a LDR for years, we barely felt the distance (5,500+ miles) because we spent anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours per night communicating through Skype or FaceTime. Communication is the key to any successful relationship. We both set aside what time we could to devote to this ritual, based on our individual obligations with work and family, and made it work.

Can you and your girlfriend not keep in touch until August in this fashion?

Old 07-05-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Having been in a LDR for years, we barely felt the distance (5,500+ miles) because we spent anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours per night communicating through Skype or FaceTime. Communication is the key to any successful relationship. We both set aside what time we could to devote to this ritual, based on our individual obligations with work and family, and made it work.

Can you and your girlfriend not keep in touch until August in this fashion?
Well, we talk every evening when she is here, on the times I can not drive to see her. For this trip, we are communicating. But, 6 weeks is longer than the 2 weeks between normal visits. Plus, the time difference makes it more complicated.

Anyway, I'll survive...

Old 07-05-2019, 01:06 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
Well, we talk every evening when she is here, on the times I can not drive to see her. For this trip, we are communicating. But, 6 weeks is longer than the 2 weeks between normal visits. Plus, the time difference makes it more complicated.

Anyway, I'll survive...
I'm glad to hear that! Plus, when you finally get to see each other in person, you can go at it like bonobos.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:23 PM

Time is ticking. Not TOO much longer

Old 08-02-2019, 07:32 AM

1,210 posts, read 888,900 times
Maybe you need a

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYlzrOLwqQA

Old 08-02-2019, 10:00 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Doesn't she drive to see you on the weeks when your son is living at your house? I do not recommend that for a new relationship, but you have been together for two and a half years. If you are going to continue seeing her when will she meet your son, if she hasn't meet him yet? Maybe you can meet in the middle for a day adventure on the weekends that you have your son. Such as you each drive 90 minutes to an amusement park, zoo, museum, festival, etc. and the three of you spend the day together before driving home to your respective cities. You get to spend quality time with your son, plus time with your GF, plus they get to know each other better. win-win-win

Regarding her out of the country vacation. Just continue talking, Facetiming or Skyping with each other as much as you can. Maybe next summer, you or you and your son can visit her when she is on vacation to meet her relatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.