Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 10:20 PM

1,244 posts, read 3,226,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You can tell the difference between a junior high kid and an adult.
Not always true. In some cases it's not so easy to tell. I can tell you of a couple of my 15-year old daughter's friends that can easily say they are 18-20 and pass with flying colors, and thats without being dressed up and having make-up on. Toss those extra's and any guy could be in trouble if the girl is lying about her age.

Not every 13-16 year old looks their age. Some do. Some look younger. But a lot of them do look, dress, and act as if they were older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 10:31 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
All I can say is that it is a really weird world! Very weird.

I'm into guys that are a bit older than I. So I'm eyeing the older business professional type guys.

I do know some guys that date younger within the law and I'm like why in the world would you date younger? You will have to put up with immaturity and emotional retardedness.

But I wanted to say something funny. When I graduated high school my parents told me that I looked so young compared to a lot of the other kids. They said that half of the people that graduated with me looked over the age of 30. ROTFL. I said "no way. stop making stuff up". and they were like "no serious. they look way too old for their age. we were honestly confused about who were the parents and who were the kids". Another comment my dad made was "oh she has the face of an old lady" lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari4him View Post
Not always true. In some cases it's not so easy to tell. I can tell you of a couple of my 15-year old daughter's friends that can easily say they are 18-20 and pass with flying colors, and thats without being dressed up and having make-up on. Toss those extra's and any guy could be in trouble if the girl is lying about her age.

Not every 13-16 year old looks their age. Some do. Some look younger. But a lot of them do look, dress, and act as if they were older.

Last edited by artsyguy; 05-22-2008 at 10:40 PM..

Old 05-22-2008, 10:39 PM

1,244 posts, read 3,226,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
An adult alone in a room with an under aged person of the opposite sex, even if they never got within ten feet of each other, is technically statutory rape. There need not be any contact, sexual or not..!
Sorry but that is a pretty big stretch. An adult simply being in a room with a minor of the opposite sex, where no contact occurs is NOT statutory rape.

Here are some legal definitions for what is Statutory Rape....

"n. sexual intercourse with a female below the legal age of consent but above the age of a child, even if the female gave her consent, did not resist and/or mutually participated."

Retrieved on 5/23/08 from law.com Law Dictionary

"Under a variation known as "statutory rape," some states make it unlawful for an adult to engage in sexual intercourse with a person who has not reached the age of consent (usually 18 years of age)."

Retrieved on 5/23/08 from Rape - Findlaw for the Public -

"Statutory rape is sex between an adult and a minor below the age of consent. Every state has a statutory rape law in some form. The age of consent varies from state to state, but is generally from 16 - 18 years of age."

Retrieved on 5/23/08 from Statutory Rape Law & Legal Definition

"Sexual intercourse by an adult with a person below a statutorily designated age.
The criminal offense of statutory rape is committed when an adult sexually penetrates a person who, under the law, is incapable of consenting to sex. Minors and physically and mentally incapacitated persons are deemed incapable of consenting to sex under rape statutes in all states. These persons are considered deserving of special protection because they are especially vulnerable due to their youth or condition."

Retrieved on 5/23/08 from Statutory Rape legal definition of Statutory Rape. Statutory Rape synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:34 AM

384 posts, read 1,709,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mari4him View Post

I was able to get into bars at a very young age..long before the legal drinking age changed to 21. I remember going to a club called Danceteria in New York with friends and two of my friends who were actually OVER 21 were ID'd while I was allowed to go in without having to show proof. I was only 16 and very well developed at that time.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:15 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,222,089 times
I am 100% on the man's side in this case. He went on dates with someone who told him that she was older and he believed her. Why shouldn't he believe what she told him?

If people go on the internet and lie, they get what they deserve. I say the little hussy is at fault.

The guy actually went to her Father as soon as he had suspicions. There is no way in the world he would have done that if he had been deliberatly going after an underage kid.

This girl has ruined the guys life. I think it's outrageous that the legal system throws a whole bookshelf at the man, and not even a page at the individual who is actually at fault in all this.

Her Father should be thoroughly ashamed of himself too.

The internet IS a place where couples meet now. When people come on here asking how to meet someone, lots of advice tells him to go online. To dating sites / chat rooms, etc.

I HATE paedophiles, but this guy isn't that and from what I can tell, this simply wasn't his fault at all. All on the girl and her pathetic Father.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:17 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
The guy actually went to her Father as soon as he had suspicions. There is no way in the world he would have done that if he had been deliberatly going after an underage kid.
This really is the kicker. If he was a pervert preying on younger girls that he knew to be underage, the last thing he would do is mention it to the dad. He would probably want the relationship to be a huge ass secret from everybody, most especially the girls family..

Old 05-23-2008, 10:49 AM

384 posts, read 1,709,890 times
Quote:
I am 100% on the man's side in this case. He went on dates with someone who told him that she was older and he believed her. Why shouldn't he believe what she told him?

If people go on the internet and lie, they get what they deserve. I say the little hussy is at fault.

This girl has ruined the guys life. I think it's outrageous that the legal system throws a whole bookshelf at the man, and not even a page at the individual who is actually at fault in all this.

The internet IS a place where couples meet now. When people come on here asking how to meet someone, lots of advice tells him to go online. To dating sites / chat rooms, etc.

I HATE paedophiles, but this guy isn't that and from what I can tell, this simply wasn't his fault at all. All on the girl and her pathetic Father.

I couldn't agree more. well said.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:53 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
it rough no doubt about it.
minors can also sign papers to buy a car but the papers are not enforcable as they are a minor. also true of those deemed mentally incompetent by the state, its all on us.
and the laws for pedofile are draconian (e.g. she is 17 he is 31, 14 years difference)

Old 05-24-2008, 02:16 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,884,016 times
[quote=NWPAguy;3853926
Donn, I'm not positive that you're wrong, but it seems unlikely that what you're saying is entirely true. Where is it written in any law book that statutory rape has taken place when an adult male is in a room alone with an underage female?[/QUOTE]

The actual definition of statutory rape is having sex with one under the legal age of consent, but being alone in a room with one under age can certainly bring that charge. Not something I would want to have to deal with, even if exonerated.
I worked with a man in his 60's, who had a neighborhood youngster stop by after school, and ask if she could come in until her mother got home because she was locked out. Bill told her his wife wasn't home and she couldn't come in, but he would be glad to sit on the porch with her until her mother got home. That smart decision possibly saved him years in the penitentiary. Most likely nothing would have come of it, but certainly not worth taking a chance. There have many people who's lives were ruined by false accusations.
No service company, i.e. gas, electric, phone, cable, etc company will allow their personnel to enter a home without an adult present. Guess why..?
Remember the McMartin preschool case that drug on for years, and ruined the lives of all of the teachers involved.
The law is there for a reason, not to prosecute a father or a teacher..! Some people here are taking things to an extreme..!
I guarantee you that if your 12 year old daughter was dating a 25 year old, you would have the cops all over him for statutory rape. Like all laws, it there when you need it, not for inventing situations like a teacher giving after school lessons, although today you have to watch those teachers, too.!!

Old 05-24-2008, 02:22 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,884,016 times
Quote:

It sounds like the guy was trying to do the right thing, and I feel for him, but as every judge will tell you, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse!!" You don't get a break for trying to do the right thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships