Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 01:23 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,450,951 times

Advertisements

I had a few nasty emails from my sister. She is upset that she has lost control of the situation. She went through the roof when I told her that my brothers attorney had contacted me.
I have to laugh. It would be SO nice if this could be over with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 07:53 PM

I have been waiting all this time. I haven't made any attempt to contact the lawyers involved, I figured they have enough to deal with.

I got an email tonight from my sister that indicates this has been resolved and I will be getting a settlement letter. However she doesn't say how its been settled.

I want it all to be over so I can get on with my life with my daughter. I want to redefine my life. Up until now I can't help but see myself to a certain degree as my family has seen me. NOW I am going to put that behind me and just BE.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:29 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,310,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
My Father used to say that he couldn't hold on to money if you gave him a bucket to carry it in. I always wondered if my Dad thought that then why on earth would he leave him in charge?
That's easy to answer - because your brother is the only child with a penis.

I hope this is settled to your satisfaction, Lindsey.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
That's easy to answer - because your brother is the only child with a penis.

I hope this is settled to your satisfaction, Lindsey.
OH, I know and I agree. I think my Father HAD to believe that my brother was a closer reflection of himself then in reality he was. Sadly nothing could be further from the truth.

In reality my Father was a larger then life person, not perfect by any means but my brother couldn't be less like him if he tried. My family was definetly patriarchal to their own detrement. In fact the legacy my FAther wanted to leave has been sacrificed to that vanity.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:48 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,188,100 times
I've never seen a trust with a happy result. Just give them the damned money and be done with it.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:24 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,260,958 times
The previous owners of our home passed away and left everything to their only child. Well, their only child had three children who despise each other and gave the entire estate to them so they might become closer!

The house remained empty for 18 months because they could not agree what they wanted to do with it and when they finally decided to sell we were inadvertantly invited into their mayhem. It was an awful experience.

Maybe Leona Helmsley had the right idea...give it ALL away to a charity and her dog. Even though 12 mil is a bit over the top for the care of a dog.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:42 AM

The problem with trusts? It really is nothing more than an attempt by the departed to control behavior after death.

Now, sometimes that is an appropriate thing. I have three children, 13, 12, and 9. Obviously, this is a situation where they are not competent enough to handle large amounts of money. Yet if my wife and I died at the same time, they would inherit an estate of several million dollars (No, I'm not lighting cigars with hundred-dollar bills. It's tied up in commercial real estate and the like). So we have the provision for a trust in our will that requires that they can receive their share of the money either three years after graduating college or reaching age 30--whichever comes first.

Our motivation is simple. Hand an eighteen-year-old a stack of cash and it will be gone in a year. At least with college degrees, they'll be able to provide for themselves. And, if they don't attend college, they have to wait until 30 to receive their share. Call it manipulative, but it provides a good incentive for them to be responsible for themselves early on.

But, at the same time, asking true adults to jump through hoops for the rest of their lives is something completely different.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:00 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,260,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
The problem with trusts? It really is nothing more than an attempt by the departed to control behavior after death.

Now, sometimes that is an appropriate thing. I have three children, 13, 12, and 9. Obviously, this is a situation where they are not competent enough to handle large amounts of money. Yet if my wife and I died at the same time, they would inherit an estate of several million dollars (No, I'm not lighting cigars with hundred-dollar bills. It's tied up in commercial real estate and the like). So we have the provision for a trust in our will that requires that they can receive their share of the money either three years after graduating college or reaching age 30--whichever comes first.

Our motivation is simple. Hand an eighteen-year-old a stack of cash and it will be gone in a year. At least with college degrees, they'll be able to provide for themselves. And, if they don't attend college, they have to wait until 30 to receive their share. Call it manipulative, but it provides a good incentive for them to be responsible for themselves early on.

But, at the same time, asking true adults to jump through hoops for the rest of their lives is something completely different.
With that said, maybe our plan to blow the kids inheritance is a good idea!! I'll go buy that Oyster you posted about earlier, Your Royal Hotness. Still giggling about that one!

Old 07-16-2008, 02:07 PM

27,354 posts, read 27,409,204 times
No matter what age (in adulthood), a person should always have something specifying what should happen, who gets what, what to do if you end up in a coma or unable to answer for yourself, etc. I have a POA (power of attorney) to handle everything.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
No matter what age (in adulthood), a person should always have something specifying what should happen, who gets what, what to do if you end up in a coma or unable to answer for yourself, etc. I have a POA (power of attorney) to handle everything.
Hey, without question.

My grandmother wasn't rich, but she had a list of who got what written down on a legal pad. My sister got the silverware, etc. etc. etc. That way, there was absolutely no question when it came time to settle her estate.

On the other hand, I've seen families break apart over the question. It's a shame how people will leave a legacy of discord in their families, simply because they were too lazy to get a will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships