Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 12:09 AM

570 posts, read 882,314 times

Advertisements

I once heard that almost all great leaders, inventors, successful people, and actual change agents of the world, spend a lot more time alone to themselves in almost absolute QUIET, than the average person does.

The reasoning being, if you always have the radio/tv/etc on, or even if you are reading, studying, cleaning, etc, you are focusing your brain on those activities and not actually spending any critical thinking time.

I've heard it recommended to spend 30 minutes a day in quiet just thinking. I personally do it with the lights off, almost absolute silence, and sometimes eyes closed. It's amazing the answers to the problems you've been trying to solve for days become so clearly visible while thinking peacefully without distraction. And you also receive realizations about yourself that you would not have noticed otherwise.

Does anyone else do this? Or am I correct when thinking that 99% of the US doesn't have the self control to spend 5 minutes in quiet. And I'm not talking about right before bed or when your waking up. This is thinking time when your mind and body is wide awake.

This is why it's also so hard for a man like me to find a decent woman. I absolutely puke when trying to converse with a woman who has her phone set on the table waiting for her average 200 texts an hour to come in. Many women these days, 30 and younger, are absolutely crazy. They need absolute attention from numerous people at all times. If they are watching a movie, they will be considerate and put their phone on silent most times, however they will never send a text out saying , 'can't talk now'. And looking back, yes I have been with some fine women who actually were considerate, and that's probably why I favor those women in a more fairer light than the other ones who were attention whores.

If I ever hear a person, man or woman, say "I'm bored", that is a red flag. I do not want to be friends with a guy who needs other people to always be talking with him. I don't want a woman to be with, who can't be comfortable with herself and I in silence. Or a woman who needs to be preoccupied all the time, preoccupation leads to disaster, not peace. Don't get me wrong, I think it's good to keep a little busy, but to always need something to do is just a sign of an immature person not comfortable with their self. One who always needs more and more and is never happy for what they already have. Also the mere saying of "I'm bored" , means that you are the one that is actually boring. Boring person - a person who needs external activities and events going on at all times.

Thanks for reading my thoughts, now let me read yours, whether you think I'm the sane one or the crazy one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 12:31 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Sounds like meditation. Haven't done that for a number of years now.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:39 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,265,486 times
Okay, so you're an introvert. So am I.

But that doesn't mean that people who aren't are immature or uncomfortable with themselves.

Introverts get their energy and clarity from being alone. Extroverts get their energy and clarity from being around people.

Introverts sort things out internally. Extroverts sort things out by talking and bouncing ideas off other people.

Neither way is right or wrong. It's just how people are. Although I think it's rude to have a cell phone even on during a date without a very good reason (like your sister is about to go into labor or something), overall, it sounds like you just don't like highly extroverted women. That's fine, but just because you don't like them, that doesn't make them crazy.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Sounds like meditation. Haven't done that for a number of years now.

Not really meditation. Or at least the "meditation" that I think of when I hear that word. B.c if I'm correct with my assumption, meditation is just trying to think about one specific thing and concentrate on it, or just trying to put your mind in a peaceful state not thinking about much critically.

I'm just talking about critical/analytical/etc thinking about your life/future/day/job/relationships/etc.

For example, I think Albert Einstein spent a lot of time in quiet thinking about what to do next and how to do it.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bright_future View Post
Not really meditation. Or at least the "meditation" that I think of when I hear that word. B.c if I'm correct with my assumption, meditation is just trying to think about one specific thing and concentrate on it, or just trying to put your mind in a peaceful state not thinking about much critically.

I'm just talking about critical/analytical/etc thinking about your life/future/day/job/relationships/etc.

For example, I think Albert Einstein spent a lot of time in quiet thinking about what to do next and how to do it.
Albert Einstien was quite an introvert.

Keep in mind that what introverts consider peace and comfortable silence can seem seem cold, aloof, and detached to an extrovert.

Again, neither right nor wrong. Just saying that for every criticism you come up with for extroverts, I can come up with an opposing one for introverts.

I think if you want to find someone who understands you, the best thing to do is try to make yourself understood. That is the great bane of every introvert's existence, because it means we actually have to open our yaps and talk.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Okay, so you're an introvert. So am I.

But that doesn't mean that people who aren't are immature or uncomfortable with themselves.

Introverts get their energy and clarity from being alone. Extroverts get their energy and clarity from being around people.

Introverts sort things out internally. Extroverts sort things out by talking and bouncing ideas off other people.

Neither way is right or wrong. It's just how people are. Although I think it's rude to have a cell phone even on during a date without a very good reason (like your sister is about to go into labor or something), overall, it sounds like you just don't like highly extroverted women. That's fine, but just because you don't like them, that doesn't make them crazy.

Thanks for the post, and yes I'm more introverted. However, I really do think that a decent % of women under 30 now a days do in fact have a very real addiction with texting and socializing with facebook, etc. If I was much older, I would be thinking "oh man, how good did we have it back in the day when people didn't have cell phones and no internet, men and women actually enjoyed each others company and actually got to really know the other person" , "like the saying goes, you sure don't know how good you had it till you lose it"

Old 06-06-2010, 12:49 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,659,312 times
I will agree....cell phones sux! Especially during a date of any kind, or conversation. Rude, etc..
You want alone time...take it. Take time by yourself, to do whatever, etc..

Old 06-06-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I will agree....cell phones sux! Especially during a date of any kind, or conversation. Rude, etc..
You want alone time...take it. Take time by yourself, to do whatever, etc..

I get enough alone time, and work on improving myself a lot, but I do enjoy conversing with just one other person at a time. Sometimes more if I'm good friends with them all. But it's just hard for me to meet more people since I'm not the best at small talk with groups of people. So then the people I do want to get to know more write me off b.c of that I think.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the post, and yes I'm more introverted. However, I really do think that a decent % of women under 30 now a days do in fact have a very real addiction with texting and socializing with facebook, etc. If I was much older, I would be thinking "oh man, how good did we have it back in the day when people didn't have cell phones and no internet, men and women actually enjoyed each others company and actually got to really know the other person" , "like the saying goes, you sure don't know how good you had it till you lose it"

Then maybe you shouldn't date women under 30. My guy canned that whole notion a few years ago.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:52 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Quote:

Sometimes your best thinking comes when you're not thinking. Does that make sense at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships