Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 06:28 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,752,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
I know this is late...but you say you think she is from Japan. You might want to find out if indeed she is from Japan instead of assuming she is. If she's from another Asian country she might be offended if you assume she's from Japan.
If she is not from Japan and from another asian country, and feels offended....then she will have to forgive me . I would hope she is not that sensitive if someone has her place of origin mistaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 10:11 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,316,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I'm living in an apartment complex and see this lady all the time with her little daughter walking around, looking bored. She says hi and bye but I think she is from Japan and doesn't speak much English.

I've been there (bored Mom with a little kid). I also would like to be friendly to her but I don't know how to be friendly to someone from Japan who cannot understand me.

I'm from out of the area, too (different state) so I don't know many people.

I don't want to offend her but I used to be a teacher and also volunteered doing ESL (English as a Second Language). I feel so sorry for people who are isolated not knowing English.

How should I approach her without being offensive? What if I gave the little girl a book from my son (ABCs) to 'break the ice." Should I just say hi and bye and mind my business? I have heard Japanese people are very 'closed' and don't like to be bothered.

Any comments? Anyone who knows how adult Japanese women meet and interact?

I do have a dog and the little one likes to see her.
Anyone know any simple words I can say in Japanese?
Don't assume she's Japanese until you find out.

Do you bake? You could bake some cookies and bring some to her.

Is your son the same age as her daughter? If so, have him give the book to her. That is a great ice breaker for not only you, but for the kids as well.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:56 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,945,334 times
In my new job, I meet lots of Asian tourists. In my experience, they are quite nice and appreciate any attempt to communicate. In other words, they are just like everyone else.

I've lived in other countries and you will never understand the isolation factor is huge until it happens to you. I was grateful to anyone who made the attempt.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:07 PM

635 posts, read 1,701,365 times
Uds. como friegan con lo mismo...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships