Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 02:10 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I like totally like agree with you...like ya know....like totally.
Like wow ok talk to the hand sister!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 06:13 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,713,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgrl1969 View Post
At what point do you consider a man immature, based on his hobbies alone?

(Just a question...several of my GF's go out with guys like this)
I paintball, play XBox 360, etc. I'm almost 40.

Of course, I am still single.

Hmmm..... is there a correlation there?

Immaturity comes when not taking care of his/her responsibilities. Other than that - it's personality.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:33 AM

534 posts, read 1,594,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UW Badgers View Post
Well I am a 39 year old woman and my husband(just turned 36)and I play RockBand on our Xbox-360 pretty much everyday. We ride motorcycles(crotchrockets). We don't consider each other immature at all.
I meant to say that we DON'T ride motorcycles, just like the video games.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:33 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,141,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
I paintball, play XBox 360, etc. I'm almost 40.

Of course, I am still single.

Hmmm..... is there a correlation there?

Immaturity comes when not taking care of his/her responsibilities. Other than that - it's personality.
I agree in that being a gamer/paintballer doesn't automatically make someone irresponsibile or immature. I have a few guy friends who LOVE X-Box and Playstation, and who play paintball regularly. They are some of the best family men I know, not to mention the fact that they are cute
Heck, I'm addicted to the Wii and X-Box myself, and I've played for hours on end, but I always make sure that my responsibilities get taken care of first. It's common sense.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:25 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,082 times
Does anyone else not find it odd that any passion for video games is always quantified with the obligatory "As long as it doesnt become an addiction.." or "Unless he/she is addicted to video games". What is the criteria/barometer that determines whether a person's passion for video games is an addiction?

Frankly there are people who's every waking moment are channeled into raising their dogs. Does that mean they are addicted to dogs/pets. Or should someone who is a book/movie enthusiast be wary of turning into a book addict (or movie addict). And if those same parameters exist for those hobbies, why are they never cautioned against the in the way that a an immoderate consumption of video games is cautioned against? Could it be because people have been so impressed upon through the decades to be convinced that a firm passion for book reading, movie watching, hiking, para-sailing etc. are somehow more culturally relevant; while they were taught that video games are not so? I ask because I just noticed that: rarely, were any of the other statements, regarding the other, hobbies (paintball, motorcycling) relegated to either "addictive" status or "healthy, in moderation".

Old 11-25-2008, 10:42 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
I guess who decided paintball, motorcycles and video games are immature?

Old 11-26-2008, 06:01 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,141,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I guess who decided paintball, motorcycles and video games are immature?
It's too bad that the 'immature' stigma has to be placed on these because they are some of the funnest hobbies around

Old 11-26-2008, 10:48 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
It's too bad that the 'immature' stigma has to be placed on these because they are some of the funnest hobbies around
Pfft who cares people who have fun live the longest. I wish they made pocket rocket pwc's. I reaaally want a jet-ski but I don't like the whole towing deal.

Last edited by nitokenshi; 11-26-2008 at 11:27 AM..

Old 11-26-2008, 11:41 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I'm sorry but let me put this bluntly because I'm not in the mood to mince words, so maximum offense will be taken -- people who judge someone based on having FUN hobbies as being "immature" are losers. Everyone who said a guy like this would be a loser, YOU are the losers. The people who suck all fun out of life, who think that life is for being a TOOL to society, like your value is in how many hours you put in working at your lousy desk job, taking care of your ungrateful family, putting up with a bunch of BS. If I saw a guy who was in his 30s, plays video games, paintball, drives a motorcycle, and isn't married I see a free man. A person to envy. Now if he doesn't have a job and he lives at home still, ok, that's a different story. But if he has a good job and knows how to have fun in his free time, that's the kind of guy I'd want to hang out with! Unlike the TOOLS who call themselves "men" because they are whipped by some not-even-attractive wife and they're changing dirty diapers, driving a minivan, and putting their suit and tie on every day to go to their middle-management jobs. You think a guy like this would need to grow up and get a life? I think you need to loosen the collar, pull the stick out of your arse, and get a life! The point of life is to have fun and enjoy yourself, and if you can accomplish meaningful and great goals, that's even better. But seeing as I have no idea who anyone on this forum is, i.e. NONE of you have made it at all, then you don't have the right to judge a guy who has more fun than you. The #1 goal should be to achieve greatness. If you can't do that, at least have a great, fun life. If you can't do that, you totally fail in general. So unless someone here wants to tell me they're a multi, multi-millionaire who I've seen on TV and in magazines, then throw down the rocks and go back into your glass houses -- your lives are definitely not any better than a guy as described by the OP.
Well said!

Many women seem to feel that any time a man spends on an activity not centered around the woman is a waste of time. Men need to avoid these women and get out of the relationship the moment this behavior starts. I've dated a few gals who's attitude could be summed up by the phrase "Its all about me!". They are not all like this!

I think scrapbooking, watching Grey's Anatomy, spending the day looking for the perfect $800.00 purse and listening to James Blunt are complete wastes of time but THAT IS MY OPINION.

As long as someone isn't breaking the law and is meeting his financial and family responsibilities who cares how he spends a few hours a week unwinding? I work with women who's mission in life seems to be making sure their husbands are miserable. Why do this, why be married?

Old 11-26-2008, 11:52 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,163,418 times
why does this sound so friggin farmiliar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships