Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 09:28 PM

918 posts, read 1,642,607 times

Advertisements

Hey all.

I'm sure this has been asked or created before, but I have a question for you...

Has your employment ever caused the demise of a relationship, or badly interfered in your personal life?

I ask this question because with my work schedule bouncing all over the place all the time, it makes it difficult to have time to have a normal relationship. I have never had one end because of it, but have curiosity about it nonetheless.

On a side note, I am probably going to be gone for a few months, but will see you all when I return. I read through the crush thread though... no one is going to miss me THAT badly lol!

Take care everyone, and "be excellent to each other".

-DJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 11:02 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Yes employment has lead to the demise of many relationships. End of ski season, end of work visas, etc.

Now ALL of the work I do, I travel for. That doesn't seem to be popular with the ladies for the most part as they seem to want you in one place where they can keep you under lock and key. However I like it, because when I'm home, I'm home and don't have the 9 to 5 agenda going and I can really enjoy being here and leave work behind. I like leaving for work for up to a month, because when I'm gone, I'm gone and totally focused on work. Usually my days are busy, with some time for sightseeing(depends). I've had some women think that when they come into my life, I'm going to drop my livelihood I just busted my tail for years to get and suddenly be a home body and that isn't going to happen. I am who I am and this is what I do and it's non-nego. That just doesn't fly well, but so be it.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:26 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Yes, several times. I travel often and its not always planned in advance. Have lost a few lady friends because I wasn't giving them enough time and attention. Hard to do when you are on the road, or take unexpected trips because of a customer emergency. But I like my job and the things it provides me so I wouldn't change a thing.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:31 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,139,533 times
This happened to me recently. I was dating a guy I was crazy about, but I was working long hours at the same time. Instead of him bearing with me, he told me that he couldn't handle the constant separation and needed to move on. I was a bit broken up about it, but what could I do?

Old 11-22-2008, 02:48 PM

324 posts, read 862,406 times
I'm in the infamous long distant realationship..hence the "cranky" ness. We won't be able to live together for the next 3 years unless I move. Not happening cause I like my job and where I am, so definitely work gets in my way.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:22 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
As long as you maybe explain to her your work schedule is hectic, when you first start dating, she would be more understanding about it, instead of automatically thinking that you are ditching her, or whatever.
If she is any kind of woman worth keeping, she will understand, and be willing to work around it.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:55 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Oh yeah.

During my first marriage I provided very well for my family. My wife worked only because she wanted to work, not because we needed the income. Well, she was in management and moving up the ladder quickly, but to do that she worked long hours, often not coming home until late or coming home for dinner and going back to the office for a couple hours. It put an even greater strain on a strained relationship.

Even now, my current wife works a normal schedule, but she's always tired when she comes home. I wouldn't say that strains our relationship, but it certainly affects our sex life, which in turn affects the overall relationship to some degree.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:03 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfish34ren View Post
Hey all.

I'm sure this has been asked or created before, but I have a question for you...

Has your employment ever caused the demise of a relationship, or badly interfered in your personal life?

I ask this question because with my work schedule bouncing all over the place all the time, it makes it difficult to have time to have a normal relationship. I have never had one end because of it, but have curiosity about it nonetheless.

On a side note, I am probably going to be gone for a few months, but will see you all when I return. I read through the crush thread though... no one is going to miss me THAT badly lol!

Take care everyone, and "be excellent to each other".

-DJ
Wait!!!!!!!! I'll miss you! Okay, okay, I admit it - I was gonna post that you were my secret crush, but I got all embarrassed and didn't want to say anything to 'out' myself. But now that you threaten us with ... LEAVING ... well, I guess I gotta step up to the plate now!!!

Old 11-22-2008, 09:54 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
As long as you maybe explain to her your work schedule is hectic, when you first start dating, she would be more understanding about it, instead of automatically thinking that you are ditching her, or whatever.
If she is any kind of woman worth keeping, she will understand, and be willing to work around it.

Ya know, I have a completely different point of view on this. There really is no reason why people need to work long hours. When my long hours (years ago) were hurting my marriage, I gave my boss an ultimatum- find a way to shorten my hours to 45 hours per week or find somebody else. Well, he found somebody else, but then I took a more reasonable job and salvaged my marriage. I've never looked back and we're both much happier. As I get older I find that my personal happiness is far more important then money or prestige on a job.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:02 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Ya know, I have a completely different point of view on this. There really is no reason why people need to work long hours. When my long hours (years ago) were hurting my marriage, I gave my boss an ultimatum- find a way to shorten my hours to 45 hours per week or find somebody else. Well, he found somebody else, but then I took a more reasonable job and salvaged my marriage. I've never looked back and we're both much happier. As I get older I find that my personal happiness is far more important then money or prestige on a job.
Yes, this does make more sense, but nowdays, jobs are harder to find, times are tougher than they used to be years ago.
I agree though, that work can take a toll on a relationship. If it comes down to your job, or your relationship, then naturally, find a diffrent job. I was thinking more on the lines of just meeting someone, or a first date in my earlier post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships