Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 10:22 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Maybe she needs "happy pills". They work wonders.
If you mean things like Prozac, really they do not. I don't feel much of anything on them, not mad, glad, happy or sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 10:31 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
If you mean things like Prozac, really they do not. I don't feel much of anything on them, not mad, glad, happy or sad.

They seem to work on the wife. I always make sure she doesn't run out of them. ALWAYS!!

Old 12-26-2008, 11:02 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
They seem to work on the wife. I always make sure she doesn't run out of them. ALWAYS!!
They would seem to work. You do not SEE anything. IMO, this is way the high suicide rate.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:30 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
Quote:
You sound like the husbands of Stepford. I would feel like crap if my husband kept shoving pills down my throat. I would wonder why he would rather keep me drugged up than help me work on my problems. But I guess as long as you are happy, it doesn't matter if her happiness is purely pharamceutical?

Old 12-27-2008, 09:59 PM

77 posts, read 378,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Different people have different reactions to different antidepressants. Prozac, Zoloft and Paxil made me feel worse, not better. Welbutrin (not actually an SSRI) and Effexor (also not an SSRI) have worked well for me... sometimes. For people who are depressed and the typical first line antidepressants don't work can fall back on a more powerful (but also having way more side effects and requiring a specialized diet) class of antidepressants called MAOIs. If you needed them, you may just have been given the wrong one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
You sound like the husbands of Stepford. I would feel like crap if my husband kept shoving pills down my throat. I would wonder why he would rather keep me drugged up than help me work on my problems. But I guess as long as you are happy, it doesn't matter if her happiness is purely pharamceutical?
I don't think giving people medication against their will is a good idea, so I'm not arguing against that. However, SSRIs and other modern antidepressants (SNRIs, etc) will only improve the mood of people who have unnaturally low levels of neurotransmitters already in their brain. They won't make naturally happy people, happier. All they can do is help relieve depression in people suffering from depression. And there is even some new evidence that suggests that antidepressants will only work effectively in people with moderately severe to severe depression and that for mild depression counseling and therapy works much better.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:08 PM

213 posts, read 784,273 times
You got what you anticipated, it is called self-fulfilling prophecy.

Says it right there in your opening post.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
People don't become angry for no reason.
I feel that you are making the implicit assumption that there is no underlying medical reason, either physiological or psychiatric, for her being angry, and so therefore there must be some other external factor causing her to be angry. The fact that she seems to have this highly repeatable behavior of getting angry with people and cutting them out of her life tends to suggest to me that this is not an issue she is having only with her husband, but would seem to have some other underlying factor. Since I doubt all of these people have exactly the same underlying factor, I think it is unlikely that given that she seems to be angry that she would have what most people would call a legitimate reason for being so.

Thyroid problems can cause symptoms that are similar to depression, and depression can cause people to be angry without in situations where most people wouldn't be. Any number of psychiatric conditions can cause people to be angry without cause. Some of these (such as schizophrenia) are so severe they would be relatively easily diagnosed and would likely also have other related symptoms (extreme anxiety, paranoia, hallucinations, etc). People experiencing bipolar depression can end up in what is called a 'mixed state', which is a combination of depression and mania, where the individual is in a truly foul mood (similar to depression), but unlike depression they have a lot of energy (like mania, but without feeling good). People in this state tend to get angry (and can be violently so) without cause or justification.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:34 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed
People don't become angry for no reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhdavis1978 View Post
I feel that you are making the implicit assumption that there is no underlying medical reason, either physiological or psychiatric, for her being angry, and so therefore there must be some other external factor causing her to be angry. The fact that she seems to have this highly repeatable behavior of getting angry with people and cutting them out of her life tends to suggest to me that this is not an issue she is having only with her husband, but would seem to have some other underlying factor. Since I doubt all of these people have exactly the same underlying factor, I think it is unlikely that given that she seems to be angry that she would have what most people would call a legitimate reason for being so.

Thyroid problems can cause symptoms that are similar to depression, and depression can cause people to be angry without in situations where most people wouldn't be. Any number of psychiatric conditions can cause people to be angry without cause. Some of these (such as schizophrenia) are so severe they would be relatively easily diagnosed and would likely also have other related symptoms (extreme anxiety, paranoia, hallucinations, etc). People experiencing bipolar depression can end up in what is called a 'mixed state', which is a combination of depression and mania, where the individual is in a truly foul mood (similar to depression), but unlike depression they have a lot of energy (like mania, but without feeling good). People in this state tend to get angry (and can be violently so) without cause or justification.

bhdavis1978 I couldn't have said it better if I had said it myself.

Before diagnoses of a mental disorder a physical check up should always be conducted. Then and only then if there isn't physical change in ones biological makeup, drugs to alter (modify) ones behavior is to be considered and prescribed. It was in the psychology book I read in college. It was a great big book and it had allot of answers in it.

I have a thyroid condition though and it doesn't make me angry. The depression causes me to withdraw from people. I have a bipolar ex husband though and he is angry!

I suggest this op, for him and his wife to go together to a psychologist.

The difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist is the psychiatrist can write prescriptions.

Don't throw away the marriage. It is a for better or worse promise. Besides, throw this one away and they may not can live with the next one. Throw that one away and then may not can tolerate the third one....

where does it end? When one is finally all alone in their world?

Old 12-28-2008, 10:54 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhdavis1978 View Post

I find it fascinating that you proved my point while you were trying to prove me wrong. You apparently didn't read my entire post and chose to focus on the last sentence. When did I ever rule out a medical reason? You were so anxious to push your pharmaceutical cure and sound like you knew something that you proved my point in your very pompus and arrogant post. Even though I discussed resolving emotional problems(which drugs canNOT resolve) with communication, my exact words which you quoted were "people don't become angry for no reason".

I recommend that you climb down from your self-built pedestal to your own importance and improve your reading comprehension skills. I'm addressing this to the misguided cheer leader, too.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
I find it fascinating that you proved my point while you were trying to prove me wrong. You apparently didn't read my entire post and chose to focus on the last sentence. When did I ever rule out a medical reason? You were so anxious to push your pharmaceutical cure and sound like you knew something that you proved my point in your very pompus and arrogant post. Even though I discussed resolving emotional problems(which drugs canNOT resolve) with communication, my exact words which you quoted were "people don't become angry for no reason".

I recommend that you climb down from your self-built pedestal to your own importance and improve your reading comprehension skills. I'm addressing this to the misguided cheer leader, too.
I think your perception of my post says a lot more about you than it does about me. I wasn't standing on any 'self-built pedestal', I was merely offering a potential alternate explanation to the one you posed. I wasn't attacking you in my post, but rather trying to point out an alternative interpretation of the situation. One might even have read my post not strictly as being a condemnation of what you had said, but rather as an addition to it. Further, I will note that regardless of how you interpreted my response, I did not directly attack you- I merely stated that I thought that there were other factors that maybe people should take into consideration.

In fact, the second half of my post was not specifically directed at you, rather it was just a reflection of my experiences with mental illness, both personally and as an observer of other people I'm close to whom have had problems with severe anxiety. While you didn't specifically preclude the possibility of there being an underlying medical cause for the problems in the relationship, you did say that you felt that the problems could be addressed through improved communication, you also did not make any specific mention of an underlying medical problem being a potential cause of difficulty in the relationship. While I think that improved communication is always a good goal, if there is an underlying medical problem which is the cause of the communication breakdown, it is unclear to me how communication on it's own will solve this problem. I think that some people (and this is not directed at you) feel that the population as a whole is over-medicated. I agree with this sentiment in part. I feel that there is a large segment of the population out there that is being over medicated. However, I also feel that there is a smaller fraction of the population out there that is being under-medicated, and that many of the people in this sub-population are afraid of getting the medication and care that would help them because they are afraid of being labeled as over-medicated.

By the way, medication can solve emotional problems if the basis of emotional problems are medical (either psychiatric or physiological). Counseling is great, but counseling alone is going to be insufficient in many cases.

You can disagree with me. You can feel free to logically dissect my arguments, but I would appreciate it if you would please refrain from attacking me as a person.

Thanks,
Brad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships