Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 09:56 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times

Advertisements

We've all heard the jokes and complaints about men who are too stubborn to admit when they're wrong, apologize for their mistakes, or even stop to ask for directions. But how common is this trait among women? I've met some women who'll make a mistake and never even say sorry. They'll gloss over it and pretend like nothing happened. Is that hard for some women to admit when they're wrong or that they screwed up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 09:58 AM

733 posts, read 1,927,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
We've all heard the jokes and complaints about men who are too stubborn to admit when they're wrong, apologize for their mistakes, or even stop to ask for directions. But how common is this trait among women? I've met some women who'll make a mistake and never even say sorry. They'll gloss over it and pretend like nothing happened. Is that hard for some women to admit when they're wrong or that they screwed up?
My husband says I do this....but he's wrong.......

Old 01-19-2009, 10:01 AM

287 posts, read 549,000 times
I think it depends on the person.

My father is absolutely horrible about admitting when he's wrong. Which is why he's single right now I think. Even when he sort of admits it, he still tries to blame someone else somehow. My s.o. gets almost offensive when he admits he's wrong. I'll admit when I think I'm wrong most of the time, I don't have too much of a problem with it.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:02 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
People are all the same. Nobody likes to admit they're wrong.

I think it's all in how one's approached about it.
Now if I'm approached respectfully I'll respond a whole lot better than if I'm approached with the old "you're so stupid" routine.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:03 AM

2,163 posts, read 4,339,802 times
I generally say I'm sorry even when I don't think I'm wrong, just to keep the peace.

A past boyfriend would never apologize for anything. His idea of an apology when he said or did something to hurt my feelings was "I'm sorry you feel that way" or "I'm sorry you got hurt" instead of really apologizing for what he did. I really can't stand those non-apologetic "apologies" and they have now become a pet peeve of mine.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:39 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
I generally say I'm sorry even when I don't think I'm wrong, just to keep the peace.

A past boyfriend would never apologize for anything. His idea of an apology when he said or did something to hurt my feelings was "I'm sorry you feel that way" or "I'm sorry you got hurt" instead of really apologizing for what he did. I really can't stand those non-apologetic "apologies" and they have now become a pet peeve of mine.
It's a pet peeve of mine as well. But one thing I don't do anymore is say I'm sorry just to keep the peace. I used to do that. If a friend thought I had wronged them, but I didn't think I had, I'd still apologize just so both of us could move on. But what I learned is that if you do that, it'll happen again and before long, you're letting your friend blame you for stuff that isn't your fault or making you feel guilty for things you didn't do. Rather than let things reach that point, I put my foot down before anything has a change to escalate. Sometimes your friends will be mad that you didn't apologize. But if you didn't do anything wrong, don't apologize for it. This happened to me recently. A friend of mine was angry at me for not telling him something personal going on in my life. I apologized, but when this person continued to make me feel like I had been a bad friend, I finally said enough is enough and told him the truth, which is that my friend hadn't earned the right to know something so personal. The truth hurts, but sometimes people need to hear it.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:29 PM

355 posts, read 814,700 times
If I've done something wrong, I'm the first to say "I'm sorry". I will always own up to being wrong because that's the type of person I am.

But if the guy starts gloating about it, his ass is out the door. I have thrown many men's asses out the door ...

Old 01-19-2009, 08:16 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
I want to know when I am mistaken. Even if I didn't intend to offend, I will apologize. I can't fix or atone if I don't know what I did.

I will say, though, that people who respond with sarcasm like "Oh, you're just perfect, Chocolata!" or "I can't ever win with you!" when they are flat out wrong lose big points with me. It's not win or lose, points, or about being perfect. You're wrong.

Now suck it up and take me car shopping.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:20 PM

838 posts, read 1,875,839 times
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:24 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerclassof72 View Post
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
Exactly! We're never wrong... what's there to admit and be sorry for?!

On a more serious note, no, I'm not blind to my mistakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships