Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:34 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
Anybody ever have their chest race, beat 10000 per minute when you're about to tell somebody you really like that you .... well... like them?
Yes, then immediately after I get the crushing defeat of rejection. That's why I don't do it anymore.

I've learned not to trust anybody, and I really just need to put people in my life that will help me get ahead, because in general the people in my life only have the need for me when they need something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 07:36 AM

318 posts, read 820,604 times
Thanks ExPit. I enjoyed reading that.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:37 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Oh, here's a biggie:

Always have a plan, but never have an agenda.

I have found that huge amounts of unhappiness is created by simply not knowing what to do next, whether in work, career, personal lives, or just going to the store. Time is the stuff life is made of, and wasting it makes one unhappy. Plus it can waste huge amounts of money, too.

By this, I'm not saying, "Okay, we're going out for the evening. At 6:55, I'll pick you up. At 7:15, we'll arrive at the restaurant. By 9:00, I'll pay the tab, leaving us twenty minutes to say truly witty things, then go back to your place by 10:00 for 53 minutes of whoopee." But just knowing what you want to do next in life solves a host of problems. Yet most people have no clue what they'll be doing six hours from now.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:50 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, here's a biggie:

Always have a plan, but never have an agenda.

I have found that huge amounts of unhappiness is created by simply not knowing what to do next, whether in work, career, personal lives, or just going to the store. Time is the stuff life is made of, and wasting it makes one unhappy. Plus it can waste huge amounts of money, too.

By this, I'm not saying, "Okay, we're going out for the evening. At 6:55, I'll pick you up. At 7:15, we'll arrive at the restaurant. By 9:00, I'll pay the tab, leaving us twenty minutes to say truly witty things, then go back to your place by 10:00 for 53 minutes of whoopee." But just knowing what you want to do next in life solves a host of problems. Yet most people have no clue what they'll be doing six hours from now.
I believe in "contingency planning." A is the ideal; but B is the back up plan if A doesn't work . . . and C is what one does when all else fails.

I grew up in a very over-scheduled home, and I didn't have any input into what I was required to do. So, as soon as I left at nearly-18, I just wandered around, refusing to schedule anything. Life was reacted to; what I did was on a whim or at someone else's last minute suggestion. That was a bad thing. One needs to schedule study time in order to make good grades in college, LOL!!! After one year of laundry stacking up and Bs when I should have made As . . . I figured something out: I could decide how I spent my time, and schedule fun time as well as study and clean up time. I didn't have to be pressured w/ someone else's expectations all the time, but rather - I could have my OWN expectations and standards - and challenge MYSELF.

Along the way, I learned that some people are "firemen" and some are "knitters."

The firemen respond to life. They are reactive. No longterm planning or proactive intervention . . .They only move when the siren sounds. They have long stretches of little activity and then have to rush around in an adrenalin surge to get things taken care of "in the nick of time."

The knitters have a vision. They are counting out stitches. They know how many stitches are in every line. They are following a plan. They end up w/ a sweater that fits perfectly and represents months of paying attention to life.

I decided I would rather calmly count out the stitches than wait for the bell to sound and rush around at the last moment to accomplish what could have been a sure and steady (less stressful) process.

If you are a fireman, think about checking out buildings for flammatory substances, mark those buildings and have a plan for PREVENTING a fire. If you are a knitter, don't get so caught up in the project that you miss what other patterns are out there.

All things in balance. Planning can help you get there . . .

Old 01-27-2009, 09:05 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,374,833 times
The single greatest thing I've learned and learned it young is that I am always the best judge of what makes me happy.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:25 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
The single greatest thing I've learned and learned it young is that I am always the best judge of what makes me happy.
Ditto! Don't change who you are for someone elses sake. If someone doesn't like you the way you are , move on. I learned that one a little to late.......but better late than never

Old 01-27-2009, 03:13 PM

13 posts, read 42,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I'm pretty young still....and it's sooo cliche, but I've learned that you usually regret things you don't do much more than things you do. Not talking about moral transgressions, but rather opportunities, especially with people. Putting myself out there and being vulnerable to rejection has been hard, but it pays off when I do. Not everytime, but enough that I'm learning it is worth it.
A former high school basketball coach told me something similar that I'll never forget. He said that 5, 10, 20 years down the road when you're done playing ball, you'll never hear anyone say "Man, I wish I hadn't worked so hard. I shouldn't have shot those extra free throws after practice or tried so hard when we did our running." But you will hear people say "Man, I wish I would have worked harder. I could have ran harder in practice, and could have been a better player."

That works for not only sports, but life in general. Most of the time when you regret something, it is something you didn't do, not something you did do.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:27 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Here's another two:

When a roofer, electrician, plumber, or other contractor starts talking about his religious beliefs as he hands you the estimate or the bill, you know you're about to get the shaft.

Also, when dealing with government bureaucrats, clerks at the probate court, or people at the IRS, be extra kind to them. Tell them a joke. Inject color into their otherwise drab lives. For they have the capricious power to either cause you misery or solve your problem. And what they do depends almost entirely on how well they like you.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:29 PM

8 posts, read 83,342 times
one lesson that I learned is that: don't think too much...it kills joy sometimes...

if you think too hard to reply this post, you can learn from my lesson then..

Old 01-27-2009, 07:47 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Some of the greatest lessons Ive learned:

1. Never say to a woman "you MUST be on your period because of how you are acting".
2. Never assume someone is pregnant by how they look and ask "When are you expecting?" they may not be pregnant.
3. Never eat at office potlucks. There are some nasty people out there who never wash their hands after using the bathroom.
4. Shop around for any item that costs more than $100.00. You can almost always find it cheaper somewhere by just shopping around.
5. Ive learned that chi is real and Ive learned how to manipulate it.
6. One of the greatest lessons Ive learned is that lessons can be learned from anyone at any time regardless of their age, sex, education, social status, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships