Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 06:54 AM

943 posts, read 3,161,454 times

Advertisements

A male friend of mine who is nearly fifty and divorced is dating a woman who is about thirty. When people see them together I suspect they think he is her father. He disagrees and says he looks 40 and so people just assume they are a couple.

Could you see yourself in a relationship with someone who is twenty years older or younger? Or is that just a Hollywood situation or a woman who wants a sugar daddy?

How many years difference in age would cause you to feel ill at ease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 07:03 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,647,600 times
I'm in a relationship with someone who is younger. When I was single, I dated younger but nothing more than 10 years. I think for me that's my cut off. I couldn't see myself dating someone that was a great deal younger than me. I think your 50 year old friend feels good and maybe intellectually he needs someone younger because maybe he's immature too. You never know. If I were 50, I highly doubt I'd be comfortable dating someone so young. On the other hand if I were totally looking hot for my age at that age and younger guys were hitting on me, then who knows... I guess it depends on how you feel, look, act, etc... I can't imagine with that age gap though that you have very much in common.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:42 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
For me, personally, I could never have been with someone who was old enough to be my father (so around 13+ years older). I could never date someone younger than I am but that's probably because I only really dated in my teens and early 20s, I married at 24. So I could not have dated anyone more than a year younger unless they proved to be extremely mature. My husband is 6 years and 9 months older than I am, by the way. It's never been a problem.

I'm not saying any of that should apply to everyone, that's just me.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:00 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,788,602 times
It's tough to put it into years. I've known 50 years old men and women who act as though they are 18, while I've known 18 year olds who are very mature and intelligent for their age. While it helps to have someone in your age bracket within 5 years or so, it's not uncommon to see happy couples who are 20 years apart. A lot of it depends on your life experiences and overall outlook.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:13 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,144,809 times
I'm in a relationship and my bf is 23 years younger. I've already been married, built a home, had children, got divorced, you name it....I didn't set out to be involved with someone so young but it's just how it is.

Einstein gave us the theory of relativity; we thrive on agreement. Big age differences are "not in agreement" with the main stream. I'm happy and he's happy. Already tried life the convential way & it just didn't work for me.

I've got fabulous life experience & a pretty good outlook as well.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:49 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,456,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
For me, personally, I could never have been with someone who was old enough to be my father (so around 13+ years older). I could never date someone younger than I am but that's probably because I only really dated in my teens and early 20s, I married at 24. So I could not have dated anyone more than a year younger unless they proved to be extremely mature. My husband is 6 years and 9 months older than I am, by the way. It's never been a problem.

I'm not saying any of that should apply to everyone, that's just me.
You are right, younger people may shudder at the thought. When I was 20, I thought that people should not live past 30 - what's the use of those old people? You get less opinionated dating in your 30s.

I also didn't think I could date any large age difference. The guys were always my age or a couple of years younger. And then - slum dunk, I'm with a guy 16 years older. Within our relationship, it doesn't seem like a big difference.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:53 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,054,655 times
When I was 27, I dated a 43 year old. So, that was a 16 year age difference. I have never felt more comfortable in a relationship.

Now that I'll be 40, I really can't see myself dating anyone more than 10-12 years older than me now. It gets to the point where if you date em' too old, they don't like doing the same things as you, can't move as fast as you while out and about, etc..etc...

Old 05-06-2009, 12:01 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,798,567 times
More than ten years plus or minus a few is too much. It really depends on how young the young one is and how old the older one is.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:04 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,010,901 times
Hmmm My first big spread was when I was 17, he was 27. Second, I was 22 and he was 38. And to think at 18 I thought my 22 year old boyfriend was 'an older man'. LOL

Old 05-06-2009, 01:53 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times
I really don't care. I'm at that age I could plump for 18 or 45. Either way I don't really care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships