Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 03:45 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times

Advertisements

Intellectually I don't believe that dreams are anything more then our mind going through the details of our lives and cramming them together in a non sensical way.

Then of course I have a dream like the one I just woke up from. I am now 42 years old, when I was 21 I married a man 7 years my senior, the marriage didn't last. Its just not something I think about anymore. Honestly I can't blame him for it all because in the state I was at the time, I don't think I could have carried my end of a relationship no matter who I had married.

I just dreamed that he came back to me, he was wonderful, loving and did all he could to assure me he would be there when I woke up. Somehow I knew it was a dream and kept saying so. In my dream I woke up from sleeping and found that he had written he loved me all over every scrap of paper he could find and left it on the floor on my side of the bed. When I woke up in my dream I was relieved to realize it had not been a dream. Of course then I woke up for real and was staggered at having had such a dream.

Do you guys have dreams like this? Does this mean I have unresolved feelings for this man I have not clapped eyes on for 20 years?? OR does it mean that I am lonely and my mind is just going through scenarios.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 05:32 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Wow, what a great dream. I believe as you do that most dreams are sorting thru stuff in our lives, but when you have an extra special one like this, you should listen to it, b/c it's probably your higher soul speaking to you about something important. So why not contact the man? Or at least find out about him and what he's doing now--he may have had a similar dream.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:38 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,797,879 times
The dream probably means a little of all of that. You probably do have some regrets due to your "state" at the time. You also sound like the lonely factor is there which tends to make us all rehash past relationship. I rarely dream where I can remember, in fact it seems the only ones I remember at all are x rated.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:05 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Gosh, I only seem to dream about sailboats.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:09 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Intellectually I don't believe that dreams are anything more then our mind going through the details of our lives and cramming them together in a non sensical way.

Then of course I have a dream like the one I just woke up from. I am now 42 years old, when I was 21 I married a man 7 years my senior, the marriage didn't last. Its just not something I think about anymore. Honestly I can't blame him for it all because in the state I was at the time, I don't think I could have carried my end of a relationship no matter who I had married.

I just dreamed that he came back to me, he was wonderful, loving and did all he could to assure me he would be there when I woke up. Somehow I knew it was a dream and kept saying so. In my dream I woke up from sleeping and found that he had written he loved me all over every scrap of paper he could find and left it on the floor on my side of the bed. When I woke up in my dream I was relieved to realize it had not been a dream. Of course then I woke up for real and was staggered at having had such a dream.

Do you guys have dreams like this? Does this mean I have unresolved feelings for this man I have not clapped eyes on for 20 years?? OR does it mean that I am lonely and my mind is just going through scenarios.
Fascinating.

Now, this may all be psychobabble bs, but....go with me here for a bit

A friend who is into dream interpretation once told me that when we dream of friends or lovers we are really dreaming about ourselves.

Soooo, I would like to propose that your dream was about you giving yourself permission to love yourself.

In your shoes? I would do something fabulous for myself this week.

Last edited by plaidmom; 03-11-2009 at 09:25 AM..

Old 03-11-2009, 09:49 AM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
I believe dreams like that are harbingers for bad news. Either he just croaked or a kitten just bit the dust..

Old 03-11-2009, 10:07 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
You were in a hypnopompic state, Lindsey.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:22 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Don't listen to these guys--contact him! (Gawd I'm a romantic down to the bottom of my toes)

Old 03-11-2009, 11:56 AM

106 posts, read 184,356 times
I wouldn't read too much into it. They are disturbing, I know. I've written a blog about dreams on my myspace page. I kept having very vivid dreams where I had to think for a minute when I woke up about whether or not the dream had actually happened. There is a correlation between my dreams and what I eat, where I fall asleep, and what I watch on TV before I go to bed. Your subconscious knows more about you than you know about yourself - if that makes any sense. I think in some ways our desires and phobias shape our dreams as well. I can tell you from experience though - no matter how right it feels, calling that person won't do a bit of good. Probably remarried w/a family. All that ends up happening is that you talk to that person for a few minutes, find out how great their life is without you, and then when you hang up you feel even more lonely and loathsome.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:26 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Well I have thought for a long time that it wasn't all his fault, that I was out of my mind to get married at 21 and that no matter who I married would not have been able to live up to my unreasonable expectations of marriage. I had wondered if he felt that I blamed him for everything. Although I hadn't thought about this in years.

Well after I started this thread, I checked out Facebook because I know of at least one person in my friends list who would probably have him in theirs, I found him and sent him a friends request with a message asking if enough time had passed that we could be friends.

We will see what happens. Maybe its just my conscience bothering me for the hard time I gave this guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships