Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 12:07 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,611 times

Advertisements

I read the posts on here almost everyday and people have very intuitive, interesting, funny, obsurd posts. I feel that boards like this and others (I also read the comments on news stories on sites like CNN) are representative of our society to a great extent. I think much can be learned and in a way it's somewhat of a social experiment. Particulary the relationships thread.

What if we were to select some of the more intuitive, interesting, funny, obsurd posts and publish them. I'm not sure the exact direction I would take it, but I think a lot could be learned about us and the way we interact and how we think of each other and how much of what we think others think of us is true.

I have to say I myself have learned a lot posting in the relationships thread...I feel that although I'm 29 and can take care of my own, my emotional growth was stunted at 14.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 12:13 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I read the posts on here almost everyday and people have very intuitive, interesting, funny, obsurd posts. I feel that boards like this and others (I also read the comments on news stories on sites like CNN) are representative of our society to a great extent. I think much can be learned and in a way it's somewhat of a social experiment. Particulary the relationships thread.

What if we were to select some of the more intuitive, interesting, funny, obsurd posts and publish them. I'm not sure the exact direction I would take it, but I think a lot could be learned about us and the way we interact and how we think of each other and how much of what we think others think of us is true.

I have to say I myself have learned a lot posting in the relationships thread...I feel that although I'm 29 and can take care of my own, my emotional growth was stunted at 14.

There are certain posters I sincerely look forward to reading every day for their humor, their wisdom and their insight

Glad you think reading here has enhanced your life!

Old 03-24-2011, 12:44 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
Quote:
When you say "publish" do you mean like a book? Because when you hit the "reply" button around here your posts are published, on the internet, until the server that carries it is destroyed by a nuclear blast, and even after that there's a shadow of it somewhere in the memory of the web.

Craigslist has some funny posts on their "best of" section which I think really showcases the creative wit and insight of some very random people around the country as well.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:48 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
No, but I've thought of compiling my own posts, DM's, e-mails, etc. into some sort of a FAQ file. It's such a waste of time to constantly have to type the same ol' crap about yourself when you talk with different people. If it's something recent, I'd copy it if I've already talked with somebody else about the same subject.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:28 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,611 times
Yeah, I meant like a book or something...for entertainment purposes...maybe an online newsletter that people can sign up for. Could be part educational part humurous. The thing is that we are all real people on here sharing our real opinions. I think that people are more truthful in a forum like this vs. face to face. Reading some of the posts, you get a real idea of what other people think regarding a subject matter.

I guess what got me thinking about this is a post regarding gays/lesbians. I honestly thought that in 2011 there was more acceptance, tolerance and understanding....was I wrong!

Old 03-24-2011, 01:49 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
You know, I bet more than a few writers, including myself, read these forums for inspiration and ideas. You never know what will hatch out next!

Old 03-24-2011, 01:56 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,047,277 times
Quote:

uh.... are we reading the same forum? maybe you meant to post this in a different firefox window?

just kidding. Once you are familiar with the "personalities" on a board you can gain a lot of insight. There are some real in-tune people on this board and other boards I got to. You just have to separate the wheat from the chaff and make sure not to get caught up in the chaff in the process.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:42 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
There are certain posters I sincerely look forward to reading every day for their humor, their wisdom and their insight

Glad you think reading here has enhanced your life!
Awww, shucks!

Old 03-24-2011, 10:04 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,927,553 times
I think there are some good bits of info,insight,humor and perspectives but you definitely have to get used to filtering out some stuff lol. Glad you found it useful, im pretty young myself too and i like hearing people older then me talk.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:08 PM

817 posts, read 811,203 times
The internet is a medium that provides opportunities for people to come on forums like this to show off their insanely high levels of douchebaggery, that's pervading the modern society at every nook and corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships