Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 03:23 PM

309 posts, read 1,026,113 times

Advertisements

Has the OP even ever been in a fight? I'm less than 6' tall and weigh only 200 lbs and been blind-sided by a guy with 100 lbs on me and was close to 6'6 tall. Didn't 'knock me out'. All it got was security kicking him out. (he punched be because I am bald and I 'looked' like somebody else -probably because all of us that shave our head look alike )

People that think you can just knock somebody out with one punch and go on dancing or minding your own business has never been in a real bar fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 03:27 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
But you didn't. You went after the guy anyway. So you did NOT do what she asked you to do. You did what you wanted to do anyway yourself

so do i want to be with a man who takes me at my word?
Or ignores what I say because he "really" knows what it is I am "actually thinking" and what I "really want"
he's doing it for himself, not for her

like i said, i will stay away from both the violence, and the twisted thinking in the head that accompanies it that the post above describes. So calling someone a dumbass translates into "really thinking good" of them? Yikes! My brain hurts just thinking about, as a woman I'm not signing up for that distorted skewed view, nor the drama that accompanies it.
Well, you're not dating him. So I don't see a problem here

Old 03-19-2009, 03:34 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Well, you're not dating him. So I don't see a problem here
And any woman who thinks her wishes come first at the expense of my own dignity won't we around me very long anyway.You ask me to let it go,I listen,I consider,but when it comes down to it my decision over rides your wishes in regard to my opinion about myself.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgtfc View Post
Has the OP even ever been in a fight? I'm less than 6' tall and weigh only 200 lbs and been blind-sided by a guy with 100 lbs on me and was close to 6'6 tall. Didn't 'knock me out'. All it got was security kicking him out. (he punched be because I am bald and I 'looked' like somebody else -probably because all of us that shave our head look alike )

People that think you can just knock somebody out with one punch and go on dancing or minding your own business has never been in a real bar fight.
hard to do anything when you have the wind knocked out of you....

Old 03-19-2009, 03:37 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,219,784 times
yes ive been a fight or two, but obvioulsy you missed the point of the story, sheeeesh....

Old 03-19-2009, 03:41 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
And any woman who thinks her wishes come first at the expense of my own dignity won't we around me very long anyway.You ask me to let it go,I listen,I consider,but when it comes down to it my decision over rides your wishes in regard to my opinion about myself.

and how exactly does her body relate to your dignity?

how does how other men look at her body relate to your opinion about yourself?

Old 03-19-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:

wow just wow.If you can't understand it then there is no point.It isn't about her body,don't even go there about "it's her body to do what she chooses".

How about this,instead of you thinking about yourself for a moment,think about him,what are his wishes,what about his esteem?If you care about your guy as much as you claim you do, how about backing up his decisions even when you don't fully agree.And if your guy decides confronting a bully is the only choice then respect his decision.You say "any man that would get into a fight over me I would leave" never had your support in a 50/50 relationship anyway.

Why do I get the feeling you like being in a relationship where your word is always the final word?

Old 03-19-2009, 03:49 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,641 times
Quote:

Pretty sure its equal mutual respect (or at least the same view on things like these) that makes any relationship work.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:13 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm sorry if this sounds like bragging, but I have one point to make about this. A man who isn't afraid of violence -- who understands it and will resort to using it if needs be -- can bring a measure of peace to many situations that others can not.

About a year ago, I was driving on a crowded street and I witnessed this alteraction. A man in his early 30s had gotten out of his car and was banging on the hood of a man in his early 20s. "F you.. what are you going to do now, you punk!" He was screaming. The man in his early 20s was sitting there in stony silence. I pulled up alongside to observe. The aggressor saw me watching very closely and turned to return to his car ... but ... always the but .. he spun back around and started heading for the car again. He was still very visibly agitated. I said in a loud enough voice for him to hear me, "Sir, it's not worth it. Walk away." His eyes flashed murder at me and he yelled, "He cut me off and called me an a-hole!" I repeated myself: "Sir it's just not worth it. Walk away." He took the heavy deep breaths that very angry men do, paused to think, and then returned to his car. I became a third factor in that situtation. He probably calculated that had he proceeded, I would get involved. He was right. And you know what? That young punk probably did do something wrong to incite this man's anger. Hopefully, the kid learned a valuable lesson that day. Treat others with respect. You never know who you're messing with. Sometimes you get someone who is feeling froggy enough to jump.

I say all of this because I think it's very important that we all realize how intertwined violence and peace are. You can't have peace unless you're willing to enforce it. You can't stop wreckless and thoughtless violence unless you're willing to resort to thoughtful, calculated violence.

Ever wonder why Buddhist monks, those pledged to a creed of peace, developed their fighting skills all those centuries ago? I do. My best guess is that when they meditated long and hard about what peace is and how it's achieved, they realized they'd better be handy with the sword ... or gun ... or fist ... or whatever.

I don't like the rules to this game sometimes, but I didn't write them. We as humans have transcended Nature in some remarkable ways, but we are nowhere near extinguishing violence. Personally, I believe we never will. It's a natural, intrinsic part of existence.
Yeha i agree unfortunately sometimes violence is neceesary especially if its some bully who thinks he cna just initmidate people allot of times if you punch the bully in the face or give the impression that yuo aren to afraid to hell back down..

At the same time u have to be street smart and realzie while there are bullies who if confronted will stop theres also crazy people out there who are as crazy as they act and may have nothing to lose in life and next thing you know u could have a gun or knife iwaved in fornt of you in a situation u could have compeltely avoided,so u have to be smart..

Last edited by JBT1980; 03-19-2009 at 04:29 PM..

Old 03-19-2009, 04:17 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
allot of times if you punch the bully in the face or give the impression that yuo aren to afraid to hell bakc down..

At the same time u have to realzie while there are bullies who if confronted will stop theres also crazy peopl eout there who are as crazy as they act and may have nothing to lose in life and next thing you know u could have a gun or knife iwaved i nfornt of you in a situaiton u could have compeltely avoided,so u have to be smart..
This post makes a good point.

But how do you tell them apart? How does someone tell if it's a crazy with a gun or knife, until it's too late?
Isn't it smarter and safer (for both me and my loved ones) to, as you say, "have completely avoided" it?
Why risk that? Which is more important? Distorted macho pride, or possbly getting stabbed or shot? What kind of man who supposedly "loves" his girlfriend puts himself and her at risk of getting stabbed or shot, when it could have been avoided?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships