Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 12:16 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,358,403 times

Advertisements

many years ago, an older person told me that when someone is way too much under the influence of alcohol, whatever pops out of their mouth is what they really think (about you, etc)...

since I'd never had much experience with the subject before, can someone tell me if that's true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 12:28 AM

219 posts, read 736,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatitosmommy View Post
many years ago, an older person told me that when someone is way too much under the influence of alcohol, whatever pops out of their mouth is what they really think (about you, etc)...

since I'd never had much experience with the subject before, can someone tell me if that's true?

Sometimes people want to do or say things while they are sober but they can not build up enough heart to do so they get drunk ( gives them BALLS)

Old 05-01-2009, 12:50 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,869,787 times
yes, a known symptom of alcohol is that it distorts judgement.

Why do you think drinking is synonymous with getting laid...

Old 05-01-2009, 03:56 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Alcohol, like stressful situations, doesn't change character, it reveals it. As has been mentioned before, our judgement is impaired under the influence. We will act on impulses we would have pushed aside if sober. However, actuions under the influence, like actions when sober, don't reveal all of our character. There is something to be said for the things we control when sober. For example, a person might say something they later regret because they acted without thinking and it's not their, normal, nature to hurt someone they love. The alcohol takes away the controls but the controls are part of who we really are.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:06 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,175,007 times
Quote:

My father (now deceased) was an alcoholic. And I pretty much agree with the notion that alcohol will make a person speak their mind.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:34 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,172,705 times
I have heard many times over the years that too much alcohol can REVEAL a persons true personality or unleash their inner inhibitions.
I think this just might be true. I know that I myself have done things in my younger years that I would not have done without alcohol unlocking those self contained bounderies that I knew better than to cross.
Thankfully, those actions never caused any serious harm to myself or anyone else but I know I did some things that I would never have done if I hadn't let alcohol unlock the door that I wouldn't have ordinarily opened. They were a few times I saw a part of me that I didn't like. Something inside of me that only came out when I had too much and didn't even realize was a part of me.
Thank God, I learned when to quit and not become someone I didn't want to be.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:19 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
I believe the term is "a drunk person's words are a sober person's thoughts". Not everyone believes that to be true but many do, including myself.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:47 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,377,609 times
I'd have to ask each individual if they regret anything they have said while under the influence. Some people just get stupid when they drink, say things they think are funny but are hurtful and later regret it. Some people get mean when they drink and could really care less if they did any harm. All drunks are not created equal.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:57 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,788,602 times
Courage in a bottle. I suppose it's mostly true from what I've seen. Though there are times people will say things they absolutely don't mean, because under the influence they may be easily angered. We've all said something we didn't mean while angry, and if you are an angry drunk rather than a happy one, you may say things you don't mean. I guess you have to know what kind of drunk you are dealing with.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:07 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:

I would say that they are apt to saying the first thing that pops into their mind.

People have limited communication abilities to begin with, and alcohol can impair this - so they are apt to blurt out a half-baked thought. So on one hand, yes the things they say are typically true, but I think of it as a fragment of their thoughts, not a complete picture of "What they really think of you."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships