Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 12:04 AM

232 posts, read 594,391 times

Advertisements

So it seems like the most common advice I've gotten is to "just make friends with women" to get comfortable talking to them and being around them.

But I keep having the same problem of just getting them to open up and talk to me; to get past "hi" and a few initial ice breakers.

I tried the talking to girls at bookstores like you all suggested; to start a conversation by asking about what girls were reading, but it seems like the only magazines the young women hover around is the beauty and celebrity gossip section. These are things I have absolutely no knowledge or interest in (I hover around the periodicals and current events section) so I couldn't bring myself to inquire about them; how could I possibly respond?

The best result I got in over a week was today when I was at the salad bar at the supermarket and this girl picked up a couple of spoon fulls of noodles that looked good but was afraid to try. I asked her

Me : "Hey, question."
Her : "Hmm? Yes?"
Me : "You ever try those noodles before?"
Her : "Yeah."
Me : "How are they? They look good, but I'm really picky about my food."
Her : "They're pretty good; they're sweet with a tiny bit of pepper. They're awesome with some soy sauce."
Me : "Oh... (nods, smiles) thanks."
Her : "No problem."

Then she walked away. That's the furthest past "hi" with a random girl I've gotten in a while.

What does it take to get them to stick around and open up? Even if you approach them with no intent of getting a date or a number, it seems like they automatically assume it, since you're a strange guy talking to them out of nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 12:06 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
treat them really well, its a big romantic turnoff.
i am very skilled in this area.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:09 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,431,220 times
You have to take the intiative if u are genuinely interested. Get her number. Yes you will get rejections, but they won't all be. Be persistant.
Also bookstores, supermarkets are not a great place. Try cafes, bars, restraraunts, clubs, parties, concerts, family functions, other events.

Last edited by dave nz; 05-20-2009 at 12:17 AM..

Old 05-20-2009, 12:19 AM

370 posts, read 440,760 times
The way I meet chicks in a book store is Ill grab a swank or juggs magazine and walk up to them and tell them that this broad is making my salami hard and I might have to take this to the can and polish one off and then Ill stick my tongue out and wiggle it at them, This works wonders

With the noodles, Ill tell the broad you know what would go good with those noodles. Some buns and nuts

Old 05-20-2009, 12:48 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,858,437 times
Default Make Yourself Clear

You said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanosphere View Post
How do you just make friends with women?
Just making them friends is easy, if that is all you want. There are lots of women who want friendship. For instance, many married women are lonely and crave conversation so they are approachable. This is easy at work or at activities you share, and usually doesn't raise much of a problem with their spouse, since its in the open. Since you don't want or expect anything, you are more relaxed too.

However, I really don't think that this is what you mean or want.

Getting them to take a romantic interest in you is another matter altogether. This is the difference between a minor and a major purchase. Only a minority of guys have what it takes to be an impulse buy.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Also bookstores, supermarkets are not a great place. Try cafes, bars, restraraunts, clubs, parties, concerts, family functions, other events.
I tried cafes, bars and clubs, and everyone else here told me they were the WORST places

Old 05-20-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
You said:

Just making them friends is easy, if that is all you want. There are lots of women who want friendship. For instance, many married women are lonely and crave conversation so they are approachable. This is easy at work or at activities you share, and usually doesn't raise much of a problem with their spouse, since its in the open. Since you don't want or expect anything, you are more relaxed too.

However, I really don't think that this is what you mean or want.

Getting them to take a romantic interest in you is another matter altogether. This is the difference between a minor and a major purchase. Only a minority of guys have what it takes to be an impulse buy.
Well, I also heard that making friends with women helps you meet OTHER women; their friends, sisters and so on. Plus, seeing a man with a female friend apparently lets a girl's guard down and activates her competitive drive.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:53 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,858,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanosphere View Post
Well, I also heard that making friends with women helps you meet OTHER women; their friends, sisters and so on. Plus, seeing a man with a female friend apparently lets a girl's guard down and activates her competitive drive.
Never worked for me.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:17 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,437,376 times
Well you could of asked her if she cooks often and what other recipes she would recommend for the noodles. Then depending on her answer "I cook about 3 times a week, not that big of a cook. " you could say, "well I don't cook that much either, I usually hit the restaurants. Do you like italian? Have you ate the lasagna they make at (insert name of place here). If she says, " no , I like greek food". Then you ask if she knows how to make a dish or if she's ever ate greek food at such and such place. Finally tell her what a great time you have had simply discussing food at the grocery store with her, laugh a little, and say something like" I know we just met, but I would love it if we could go out sometime, maybe try out one of these dishes. I am not a serial killer, or a escapee from the jail. I am a good guy just wanting to make a few friends. Would it be okay if I gave you my number?" Then either give it to her or don't depending on her answer. Then smile at her and go about your way. If you want you can throw in a comment like " Hope to hear from you soon", with a smile.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:28 AM

1,293 posts, read 3,190,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Well you could of asked her if she cooks often and what other recipes she would recommend for the noodles. Then depending on her answer "I cook about 3 times a week, not that big of a cook. " you could say, "well I don't cook that much either, I usually hit the restaurants. Do you like italian? Have you ate the lasagna they make at (insert name of place here). If she says, " no , I like greek food". Then you ask if she knows how to make a dish or if she's ever ate greek food at such and such place. Finally tell her what a great time you have had simply discussing food at the grocery store with her, laugh a little, and say something like" I know we just met, but I would love it if we could go out sometime, maybe try out one of these dishes. I am not a serial killer, or a escapee from the jail. I am a good guy just wanting to make a few friends. Would it be okay if I gave you my number?" Then either give it to her or don't depending on her answer. Then smile at her and go about your way. If you want you can throw in a comment like " Hope to hear from you soon", with a smile.
I'd go with that one...

I was going to go with you should open up with a line about how noodles make you gassy, then delve right in and ask her if she'd be interested in a romp in his parents sex dungeon seeing as he just made bail from prison (can't afford to move out just yet).

But that might not go over as well..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships