Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 03:54 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times

Advertisements

I certainly hope not as I am estranged from both parents and have little affection for either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 05:02 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,868,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere1782 View Post
I've heard daughters usually marry a man like their father and a son will get a woman similar to their mother. I found it sorta true in my last relationship and that was weird... has that ever happen to anyone here?
Yes, unfortunately this is somewhat true. My Dad was abusive towards my mother and towards us growing us and I married the first guy who asked me so I could get out of my parent's home. I ended up being with another abusive man..different type of abuse but abuse just the same. Dad physically abused me and my ex cheated, wouldn't work, drank, did drugs and was verbally and emotionally a jerk. Answer to your question is that we always seem to go back to what is familiar to us when we first get married and don't seem to know enough to look for something better. Why? Don't know...took me years to get it right.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:13 AM

1,293 posts, read 3,190,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere1782 View Post
I've heard daughters usually marry a man like their father and a son will get a woman similar to their mother. I found it sorta true in my last relationship and that was weird... has that ever happen to anyone here?
As previous replies have noted, it depends, but on the whole, yes.

I understand my usual 'whoa momma!' (pun intended) comes from someone who's general personna and even aspects of outward appearance look similar to my mother's, glasses, slightly demure but intelligent.

Most don't wish to think of it that in depth, and certainly not with any frequency or duration. They'd never wanna have sex ever again.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:50 PM

283 posts, read 738,642 times
Not in my case. In fact, I married someone completely opposite of my Dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships