Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:53 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,990,756 times

Advertisements

remember my post about my friend who i am going to the party with? she ended up saying she would get a ride back from a mutual friend going because i tend to leave these things really early.

anyway she contacted me saying her friend can no longer get a ride (her friend like her doesnt drive....). i told her i will gladly give them a ride to and from the place, but that i wont pick up and drop off her friend where he lives (25 minutes each way from me...). i then said look, you guys better not get angry at me for wanting to leave early since i prefer not to carpool at these things. she said fine but is now upset because i am setting the rules here.

she also seems annoyed that i am not willing to drive her friend to and from his house. i have never met that guy before, and honestly, she and him are super cheap and wont help pay for valet, drinks (relax i probably wont have more than 1), or gas.

leave it to me to have 2 friends in los angeles (not even downtown but the burbs) who dont drive a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 12:58 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
Ass, gas, or cash... No one rides for free.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
Ass, gas, or cash... No one rides for free.
i know right? when i get rides off people, i help them out somehow with gas, food, or something. these are cheap people. i love how i am doing them a disservice by saying if i want to leave early, they leave early. im giving them the damn ride!

Old 08-04-2009, 01:05 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,050,321 times
You need some new friends - these aren't making the cut, I'm afraid.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
You need some new friends - these aren't making the cut, I'm afraid.
the girl is my friend- has been on and off since we were 8. i dont know why i keep up friendships with her. the main reason i do i guess is she is loyal- i have never had that with other friends.
the other person is her friend. ive never met him, but if he is like her, he wont offer to pay a cent for gas or the valet.

fortunately my friend lives in san francisco and doesnt come down to much.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:10 AM

Stingy people - can you really consider them friends? You said yourself that she won't help you pay for valet, drinks, gas, etc. and on top of it - she's p*ssed off that you wanted to leave early - AFTER you already gave her a heads up! It looks to me as if she's a user and is taking advantage of you.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Stingy people - can you really consider them friends? You said yourself that she won't help you pay for valet, drinks, gas, etc. and on top of it - she's p*ssed off that you wanted to leave early - AFTER you already gave her a heads up! It looks to me as if she's a user and is taking advantage of you.
no, no. you are right. i feel a lot of the time that she uses me.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:25 AM

You seem like a nice person, Leaving. Just limit the time you spend with her and focus on making some new friends. I have "friends" who are kind of like your friend too. I just take them in small doses. Best of luck to you!

Old 08-04-2009, 01:33 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,411,818 times
How on Earth do they get around LA without a car? I mean, really, that's the height of nerve for her to act that way toward you when you are giving them a ride. Why should you be obligated to drive out of your way when they don't even buy you an appetizer and a drink, much less offer to compensate for fuel?

I agree that these people are users, though I am not one who will take fuel money from a friend, or even their friend, but a true friend will find a way to compensate you, even if they just are extremely appreciative of your time and effort. I have friends that I drive places, one whom I do so as a public service to keep her off the road (LOL), and they will sometimes surprise me with an antique book, or something just to let me know that I'm appreciated.

Now, your friend and her friend have chosen not to learn how to drive, which is beyond odd in LA. So, their options are to play by your rules and not grouse about it, or arm themselves with a handy free Metro bus schedule to get where they need to go at a reasonable cost. Hey, they can even route by LACMTA Rapid bus if they want to arrive in a more stylish maner, what with the fancy paint jobs and traffic light changing control devices installed in them.

Seriously, though, just because you have offered to take your friend, does not mean that any accommodations should be made for her friend. She should tell him to shut his mouth and be thankful that he's getting a ride with you, and that they need to figure out how he's getting to/from her house. It's not a matter of entitlement because you have the car, and they have chosen not to know how to drive. That's their problem.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-04-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
How on Earth do they get around LA without a car? I mean, really, that's the height of nerve for her to act that way toward you when you are giving them a ride. Why should you be obligated to drive out of your way when they don't even buy you an appetizer and a drink, much less offer to compensate for fuel?

I agree that these people are users, though I am not one who will take fuel money from a friend, or even their friend, but a true friend will find a way to compensate you, even if they just are extremely appreciative of your time and effort. I have friends that I drive places, one whom I do so as a public service to keep her off the road (LOL), and they will sometimes surprise me with an antique book, or something just to let me know that I'm appreciated.

Now, your friend and her friend have chosen not to learn how to drive, which is beyond odd in LA. So, their options are to play by your rules and not grouse about it, or arm themselves with a handy free Metro bus schedule to get where they need to go at a reasonable cost. Hey, they can even route by LACMTA Rapid bus if they want to arrive in a more stylish maner, what with the fancy paint jobs and traffic light changing control devices installed in them.

Seriously, though, just because you have offered to take your friend, does not mean that any accommodations should be made for her friend. She should tell him to shut his mouth and be thankful that he's getting a ride with you, and that they need to figure out how he's getting to/from her house. It's not a matter of entitlement because you have the car, and they have chosen not to know how to drive. That's their problem.
whoah i got the mod here!

my friend just was always scared to drive. she though ended up moving to boston for college, and now san francisco for law school so never needed to drive there. her friend i just think is strange by what she has told me. he also lives in the boonies of la where there is very, very limited transportation.

i told her that i will pick up her friend at the train station (he can take the train from his place to a train station near my house) but then she was talking about how there might not be a train at the right time etc. yeah he might not be able to get a connecting train, but im sorry, i am not going to drive 25 minutes out of my way each time to pick up a guy i have never met!

i told her if i want to leave early, if i hear them say that "awww stay 10 more minutes" crap, im taking off! she just said something like "yeah i will take your warning", but now she is going to be a PITA to hang out with!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships