Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 03:09 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
I'm not worried a bit about being part of the "in-crowd." Your own words: I'll do it because I want to and feel it's a good method for me..."

Thank you.
But your original argument was:

I think you really need to start embracing the technology in some ways, so you don't get left behind. Do you know how many grown adults (older than yourself) are texting with their kids? I go to the bank, restaurants, grocery stores, malls, movie theaters, even my previous college classes. People, even older adults are texting!

Texting isn't always 100% good. But sounds like the women you are meeting like to text. So you need to try and get over your dislike for it.

So if every woman out there decided that the only way she wanted to communicate was through skywriting, does that mean the OP should take up skywriting? You're basically telling the OP to conform to what those women want rather than expect them to meet him halfway. If there's someone I'm interested in and her preferred method of communication is texting, then I'll give it a try. But I also expect that courtesy to be reciprocated. If she recognizes that I'm "old-school" and would rather talk than text, then I would hope she'd be willing to make an effort to talk just as I made an effort to embrace texting. And if she can't meet me halfway, if she's dictating the way in which we communicate, then I'll know she's not worth my time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 03:38 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,894,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
But your original argument was:

I think you really need to start embracing the technology in some ways, so you don't get left behind. Do you know how many grown adults (older than yourself) are texting with their kids? I go to the bank, restaurants, grocery stores, malls, movie theaters, even my previous college classes. People, even older adults are texting!

Texting isn't always 100% good. But sounds like the women you are meeting like to text. So you need to try and get over your dislike for it.

So if every woman out there decided that the only way she wanted to communicate was through skywriting, does that mean the OP should take up skywriting? You're basically telling the OP to conform to what those women want rather than expect them to meet him halfway. If there's someone I'm interested in and her preferred method of communication is texting, then I'll give it a try. But I also expect that courtesy to be reciprocated. If she recognizes that I'm "old-school" and would rather talk than text, then I would hope she'd be willing to make an effort to talk just as I made an effort to embrace texting. And if she can't meet me halfway, if she's dictating the way in which we communicate, then I'll know she's not worth my time.
No, it wasn't an argument. It was an opinion.

It's no big deal, Denny. He can chuck his cellphone into his toilet, for all I care. He's looking for a date, these women seem to be texting him a lot, it's encouragement. It's not the law. He pays his bill, I don't. It was all in good spirits. Heck, he can turn off his landline if he wants.

Frankly, I don't care if anyone on these threads takes any bit of advice from me. I'm here for fun. You win! Whatever you want with the people you date, you go!

I myself love technology. I can't wait to get a big screen one day. I wish I had an iPhone. I can't wait to have a car with the phone already in it. And you can call me a Sheeple or whatever the heck you want. If I work for it and pay for it, I'll be happy to have it. I don't need your permission to enjoy it.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
No, it wasn't an argument. It was an opinion.

It's no big deal, Denny. He can chuck his cellphone into his toilet, for all I care. He's looking for a date, these women seem to be texting him a lot, it's encouragement. It's not the law. He pays his bill, I don't. It was all in good spirits. Heck, he can turn off his landline if he wants.

Frankly, I don't care if anyone on these threads takes any bit of advice from me. I'm here for fun. You win! Whatever you want with the people you date, you go!

I myself love technology. I can't wait to get a big screen one day. I wish I had an iPhone. I can't wait to have a car with the phone already in it. And you can call me a Sheeple or whatever the heck you want. If I work for it and pay for it, I'll be happy to have it. I don't need your permission to enjoy it.
You obviously missed the point. Everyone's entitled to use the tools that they prefer. Some people like texting, others like email, and still others prefer talking on the phone. I don't judge these different methods, though I do judge the way people use them and their reasons for doing so and avoiding others. The point I'm trying to make, however, isn't that one method is necessarily better than the other. Rather, it's an issue of respect. I'll use my parents as an example. They don't like to email. Even though it's been around for a long time, they're still not comfortable with it. So do I continue to just email them and expect them to email me whenever they want to talk? Or do I make an effort to communicate via their preferred method, the phone? The latter seems more respectful and it's what my parents and I do. Sometimes we talk, sometimes we email. It's a nice middle ground and it shows that both people understand how the other person prefers to communicate.

As for the OP, I usually don't care for his posts. Most I find show his self-centered nature and perhaps this one does too. But in this case, I agree with him. It's great that these girls are showing enough interest that they'd text him. That's certainly better than being ignored. But a lot of people are so used to texting that they don't realize that others don't care for it and so they can't figure out why anyone would be offended by a text instead of a call. I guess it really depends on what you're used to from others and what they find acceptable from you.

I once sent a girl I was seeing flowers. She texted me back a quick thank you. While it was nice that she thanked me, I would've preferred that she took the time to call. It didn't have to be a long phone call or be immediate. But the words "Thank You" sometimes come across better when you hear the person's voice rather see it in text, maybe because it feels more heartfelt.

As for your love of technology, that's great that you love those things. It's one thing to buy something cause you see that it'll make your life easier or more enjoyable. But it's another to buy it just because everyone else is. I'm not saying you're one of those people, but you did encourage the OP to embrace texting because everyone else is doing it. That just seems like a silly reason.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:38 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,894,428 times
Quote:
You obviously missed the point. Everyone's entitled to use the tools that they prefer. Some people like texting, others like email, and still others prefer talking on the phone. I don't judge these different methods, though I do judge the way people use them and their reasons for doing so and avoiding others. The point I'm trying to make, however, isn't that one method is necessarily better than the other. Rather, it's an issue of respect. I'll use my parents as an example. They don't like to email. Even though it's been around for a long time, they're still not comfortable with it. So do I continue to just email them and expect them to email me whenever they want to talk? Or do I make an effort to communicate via their preferred method, the phone? The latter seems more respectful and it's what my parents and I do. Sometimes we talk, sometimes we email. It's a nice middle ground and it shows that both people understand how the other person prefers to communicate.
True, my parents are in their 80s and calling on the phone is what works with us. My mother doesn't have an email account. Even my youngest brother doesn't text.

Quote:
As for the OP, I usually don't care for his posts. Most I find show his self-centered nature and perhaps this one does too. But in this case, I agree with him. It's great that these girls are showing enough interest that they'd text him. That's certainly better than being ignored. But a lot of people are so used to texting that they don't realize that others don't care for it and so they can't figure out why anyone would be offended by a text instead of a call. I guess it really depends on what you're used to from others and what they find acceptable from you.
True, he's self-centered. Yet he's kind of funny in his bumbling sort of way. If we can get him on board with what's current, maybe he'll be gone from the board...on a date, even! It's all suggestions. I can't make anybody do anything on here, I can't send any money, I can only throw my two cents in...

Quote:
I once sent a girl I was seeing flowers. She texted me back a quick thank you. While it was nice that she thanked me, I would've preferred that she took the time to call. It didn't have to be a long phone call or be immediate. But the words "Thank You" sometimes come across better when you hear the person's voice rather see it in text, maybe because it feels more heartfelt.
Definitely, she should have called. I would have. Texting WOULD NOT cut it in a situation such as that. I'm for texting, but I'm not for complete shallowness in social situations that deserve a heartfelt spoken thank you.

Quote:
As for your love of technology, that's great that you love those things. It's one thing to buy something cause you see that it'll make your life easier or more enjoyable. But it's another to buy it just because everyone else is. I'm not saying you're one of those people, but you did encourage the OP to embrace texting because everyone else is doing it. That just seems like a silly reason.
Well, you have a right to your opinion. I think he could dip his big toe in the water a little, though. All he has to do then, is call her and say,"I'd rather you called" or "Can we talk instead of text?" I really don't know what the best solution is.

I was in two college classes last semester and one of the oldest students; you should see those kids in class texting like mad. And on Facebook. That doesn't make it right, but it sure is rampant, at least around here.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:39 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
I hate it

If i'm dealing with a woman who insists on texting or IMing me instead of either communicating in person or on the phone then I don't show her any respect what so ever. Especially if she know's me intimately, I don't tolerate it. When she finally comes around to make a real honest attempt at communication, I ignore her. In my book once respect is lost, it can never be regained.

I've dealt with plenty of women like this, and when you treat them like a useless wet rag they come scratching on your door like a neutered cat or dog.

I don't mean to sound callous but thats the way it is. I for one value in person or telephone contact, there is an art in truly listening to people that is truly ignored and misunderstood. If your not feeling the situation for some reason say so and be upfront about it so that you save both parties from wasting their time (don't lead people on/vice versa). In general I've found when dealing with most high risk/high baggage women, for the most part they'll always resort to texting or emails and such.

The part about treating women like a useless wet rag they come scratching on your door like a neutered cat or dog, sad, but true......
why do women disrespect themselves like this and think it's ok?

Old 07-19-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Well, you have a right to your opinion. I think he could dip his big toe in the water a little, though. All he has to do then, is call her and say,"I'd rather you called" or "Can we talk instead of text?" I really don't know what the best solution is.

I was in two college classes last semester and one of the oldest students; you should see those kids in class texting like mad. And on Facebook. That doesn't make it right, but it sure is rampant, at least around here.
You have a point. I guess I inferred from his original post that he did that. But sometimes, things are so obvious that they shouldn't need to be said. The case I gave above about the girl who texted Thank You instead of calling is a perfect example. I never told her that I would've preferred an actual call. I probably should've.

As for people texting like mad and spending hours on Facebook, it sure is rampant. At my work and I'm sure in a lot of other places, social networking sites are blocked. At least we agree that just because everyone is doing something, that doesn't necessarily make it right.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:53 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
And I just have no interest in emailing or instant messaging. Women that I used to talk to all the time on the phone now would rather send me a instant message or an email. If I had a cell if would be a text too. But what is up with so many women not liking to use the Phone anymore???
You're dating the wrong women.

But that's really nothing new.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
You don't like talking on the phone or like talking in person?????????????

You need help
He was completely accepting of your distaste of texting, but you go all judgmental and armchair psychologist for having a different preference than you?

YOU are the one who needs help. Sounds like these ladies have it all figured out if they're keeping you at arm's length.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
at first but later that becomes steely silence and then comes the letter from the attorney.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I just made fun of my mother for buying a new cell phone so she can text at the age of 57. I told her she should be ashamed of herself
If you speak that way to your mother, I shudder to think how you must treat women in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships