Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2010, 11:40 PM

609 posts, read 1,140,557 times

Advertisements

I cant stress enough how I much hate being the odd one out or the Third Wheel, you know those times you were invited to a get together of some sort, but the people there are friends of the person that invited you and they don't really care to interact with you, they are there only to see them, or everyone else is coupled and you're the only single one.

How do/would you handle those situations? Do you not go out at all or just remove yourself from those awkward situations? I'm not sure I worded this right, but I hope you all get the idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 12:53 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,484,127 times
Interject myself into the conversation, listen carefully, ask questions, tell random stories, actively engage them. Out for drinks? Buy all of them a round.

And if that fails, buy yourself a round of drinks.

Cheers!

Old 12-15-2010, 07:15 AM

609 posts, read 1,140,557 times
How about when they start groping each other in ways that makes you want to tell them to get a room?

Old 12-15-2010, 07:43 AM

243 posts, read 395,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic_A View Post
How about when they start groping each other in ways that makes you want to tell them to get a room?

Ask them if they want you to run the video camera!!

Old 12-15-2010, 11:51 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,928,735 times
You should bring a friend of your own in case this happens. To be honest its inconsiderate of them. Just take notes of who does it and next time either, don't go, bring a friend, or find some other way to enjoy the outing.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:20 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,166,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic_A View Post
I cant stress enough how I much hate being the odd one out or the Third Wheel, you know those times you were invited to a get together of some sort, but the people there are friends of the person that invited you and they don't really care to interact with you, they are there only to see them, or everyone else is coupled and you're the only single one.

How do/would you handle those situations? Do you not go out at all or just remove yourself from those awkward situations? I'm not sure I worded this right, but I hope you all get the idea.
When I was single I avoided being a third wheel at all costs. Usually my friends girl friends sucked at life anyways so it was always an easy choice. If you get tricked into those situations you have all the right to simply get up, no explanation, and remove yourself.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:39 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,996,356 times
Oh my gosh, I HATE being the third wheel! Granted, I've been in situations where I have been the person who invites the friend and is being inappropriate w/ the (my) boyfriend when we all get together...just Karma I guess. Sometimes being the 3rd wheel is fine and all (depending where you are and what's going on around you, etc.) and other times it just plain sucks!

The one time I don't particularly dread being a 3rd wheel is when I'm hanging out w/ one of my friends and her boyfriend. The sad part is that her boyfriend and I will get into good conversations while my friend is sitting beside him nearly falling asleep. I end up talking to him more than my friend that I've known for several years! It would be nice if she could muster of the strength to join the conversation and NOT fall asleep!!

Old 12-16-2010, 02:39 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,928,735 times
^I think shes just used to him, where as your more novel. Either that or shes low energy/narcolepsy loll
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships