Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 05:06 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times

Advertisements

LOL Thursday, it is rather scary sounding......it's your life too and you say you don't want that type life; why do they think you can be pressured into this? Saying it once should have been enough. If they won't leave you alone stop the contact and tell the BF what you're doing and why, he should back your decision anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 05:18 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,433,444 times
Sounds like somethings up with that family. No matter how well you think you know them, once you move in, you will really know them, and its not going to be preety. This has happened before to someone I know, and it turned out the mother in law was a domineering woman who wanted the son's girlfriend to be there at her beck and call so she could do as she wished with her, like making her drive her around and clean the house. Like a maid. Be very careful, if they all keep pressuring you. The person I know regreted living there from day one. His mother would steal her jewelry and anything else with any value. And, she would constantly monitor her comings and goings making sure she was not two-timing her son. It sounds like your boyfriend has similar thoughts about you. That family sounds like nothing but trouble.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:20 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Right now all you need to worry about is supporting and picking up after yourself.

Why would you want to move in with his family? This doesn't bode well for the future of your relationship either. Unless I wanted the life he is trying to sell me, I would move on.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:32 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
I would sit him down one on one and explain that it's not going to happen. That you enjoy living by yourself, and you aren't at a point in the relationship where you are ready to move in with him. And that you'd appreciate it if he dropped the subject for the time being.
Hopefully that will be enough for him to let it go, and hopefully he'll tell his family to let it go for now.
Different families operate differently. Some people, especially certain heritages, encourage multiple generations living together. If it's not right for you, cross that bridge when you get to it. But if you aren't ready to live with him regardless of where he lives, that part isn't even an issue.
Best of luck.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:18 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
it sounds like they are ready to suck you dry

i hear "NEEDY" screaming in the background, and see hands grasping at you ready to pull you under

trust your gut on this one, if it says "NO WAY" then stick with that for your own health and well being, or you will be kicking yourself down the road

Old 09-10-2009, 08:20 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,645,493 times
No one can force you to do anything. If you don't want to move, then put your foot down, get serious and get the message across and tell him to stop pressuring you into something you are not 100% comfortable with.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:48 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeofthestorm View Post
My BF wants me to move into his family's home. Currently, it's his older parents (who WANT me to move in!), his son, the possibility of his younger children when they come to visit, and nieces and nephews who come to visit the grandparents. Excuse me, but this sounds like a circus to me and as much as I love his family I don't want to be with them OR HIM 24 hours a day.

I like my own space. I really do. I don't even invite him over more than once a week.

Now he has his whole family working on me to get me to move in. I don't want to, I've told him that and now they see it as their mission in life to bring me in. It's to the point where I don't want to see him anymore and just want to cut off all ties. The pressure is great and I'm afraid of givng in just to shut them all up!

What would you do?
He is your boyfriend?

In this case you have no commitment. Move on.

Get your own place and move on. I don't understand the reason why unless you are homeless or something. Even then I would never move into my wife's families home. EVER!!

Do what you think will be best for you.

Hope it works out.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:51 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,331,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeofthestorm View Post
My BF wants me to move into his family's home. Currently, it's his older parents (who WANT me to move in!), his son, the possibility of his younger children when they come to visit, and nieces and nephews who come to visit the grandparents. Excuse me, but this sounds like a circus to me and as much as I love his family I don't want to be with them OR HIM 24 hours a day.

I like my own space. I really do. I don't even invite him over more than once a week.

Now he has his whole family working on me to get me to move in. I don't want to, I've told him that and now they see it as their mission in life to bring me in. It's to the point where I don't want to see him anymore and just want to cut off all ties. The pressure is great and I'm afraid of givng in just to shut them all up!

What would you do?
Tell him in no uncertain terms that you will not surrender your independence and free, personal space, and tell him that if he keeps this up, you will reconsider the relationship.

I bet this man is not white, and not American-born; and, I also bet he is a from a traditional culture where adult parents meddling in their adult children's relationships is normal.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:22 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,433,444 times
The simple fact that he is pressuring you to the point where you want to say yes, just to shut them up, is bad enough. He is showing controling tendencies. Not good for a long term relationship.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:32 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,572,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Drop him.

Exactly.

The fact that he is letting his family pressuring you to move in, means that he's spineless and doesn't really love you at all. Why can't he get his own place or at least try? Is your boy-friend a Mama's Boy? He could be abusive and his parents would commend him for slapping you around if you won't do what his parents or relatives tell you. Next thing, if you do move in, you'll say that his family is pressuring you to have a baby with your boyfriend or marry him.

Do NOT...move in. My 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships